Would you re-sign Harvin to $3m incentive laden contract?

Kelly the Dog

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Health the last few years? Probably not as far off as most think.

Attitude and issues with coaching, a different beast

With Harvin, it is either attitude or health or in the present case 'we don't know' (per the Bills). If K and A Williams are half way healthy, do you think they would stay off the field ? That they wouldn't tell the Bills whats up with them ? Sorry, but there is just no comparison in my mind.

I get what you are trying to say but it will always read in my head as "let's avoid a great player cause we will be stealing reps from a crappy player who could be slightly less crappy if we let him get enough playing time and we will be more used to playing with less talent"

It's not fair, but it always reads that way.

Its not fair and its rather unrealistic also. We are not in the middle of the season, we are in the off-season. The choice will NOT be between Harvin and a crappy player. We will have plenty of opportunities to address the #2 WR spot through existing players whose desire and heatlh history is better or via the draft.

I am taking an extreme position, but this is not an area where the Bills should spend money and pray.

With Harvin, it is either attitude or health or in the present case 'we don't know' (per the Bills). If K and A Williams are half way healthy, do you think they would stay off the field ? That they wouldn't tell the Bills whats up with them ? Sorry, but there is just no comparison in my mind.

Its not fair and its rather unrealistic also. We are not in the middle of the season, we are in the off-season. The choice will NOT be between Harvin and a crappy player. We will have plenty of opportunities to address the #2 WR spot through existing players whose desire and heatlh history is better or via the draft.

I am taking an extreme position, but this is not an area where the Bills should spend money and pray.

It comes down to value though. Would you rather Harvin at $2M or Sanu at $4M? Those are the types of decisions that a front office has to make. Harvin is a better player than Sanu when healthy and when his head is on straight. It is possible that you could get superior production for less money. In fact, it is likely if you get "good Harvin." The downside is getting an injured or unhappy Percy. It isn't as simple as "there are always other options." You have to put names and salaries to those "other options" and weigh the realistic options. You make a decision from there.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Bills open to a Harvin return

Percy Harvin’s first year with the Bills did not go how anyone had planned. A persistent hip injury compromised his weekly availability as the receiver appeared in just five games in 2015. He also has an automatic opt-out clause in his contract, which will make him a free agent against this offseason. Still, Buffalo’s front office remains interested in returning him to their receiving corps in 2016.

Bills GM Doug Whaley, appearing on Bills flagship station WGR Sportsradio 550 Friday, indicated that the club would like to bring Harvin back once he’s got a clean bill of health.

Health the last few years? Probably not as far off as most think.

Attitude and issues with coaching, a different beast

Unless you mean pains we don't see, Kyle only missed one game in the prior three seasons. In ten seasons in the NFL, he's played all games in six seasons, and played in 14 or more games in eight seasons.

Bills GM Doug Whaley, appearing on Bills flagship station WGR Sportsradio 550 Friday, indicated that the club would like to bring Harvin back once he’s got a clean bill of health.

Didn't Percy have a "clean bill of health" when we signed him last year? And didn't Percy have a "clean bill of health" when the Hawks traded for him a couple of years ago? How long did that last?

For those who think we can sign him cheap, I suspect otherwise. Time to cut bait IMHO.

I still have man love for Kyle. He's prob good for 2 or 3 more yrs IMHO.

Chris Brown is going to do a follow up on him Monday.

I am on the same page as you with Kyle. Percy would have to prove not only is he healthy he is mentally and emotionally committed. and that's something folks smarter than me should decide !

Didn't Percy have a "clean bill of health" when we signed him last year? And didn't Percy have a "clean bill of health" when the Hawks traded for him a couple of years ago? How long did that last?

For those who think we can sign him cheap, I suspect otherwise. Time to cut bait IMHO.

Not sure?

But he did not get many reps in preseason did he ?

I apologise that i dont recall those details, but it seems he was hurt coming into Buffalo

Percy is a huge asset. He's unreliable so he obviously shouldn't be relied on when putting together the starting line up for roster-building purposes...but to keep him on the team at something affordable and use him when you can (always starting if healthy) is huge for this team.

He's a boost/plus/extra sauce.

Edited by dayman

WR's are never playing a large role in this offense, but we lose all of our vertical passing game if Watkins is injured. The vertical passing game needs to be in play in all of our games. It's a huge part of Tyrod's game and the main area Roman seems to pick up yardage in the passing game. If the vet minimum with an incentive based contract is an option I don't see how that hurts us. That type of money is just as likely useless elsewhere on a retread, which is what I would consider Harvin. Just with upside and very specific upside that relates to this team.

Edited by KzooMike

It comes down to value though. Would you rather Harvin at $2M or Sanu at $4M? Those are the types of decisions that a front office has to make. Harvin is a better player than Sanu when healthy and when his head is on straight. It is possible that you could get superior production for less money. In fact, it is likely if you get "good Harvin." The downside is getting an injured or unhappy Percy. It isn't as simple as "there are always other options." You have to put names and salaries to those "other options" and weigh the realistic options. You make a decision from there.

I don't agree. A decision should be made based on what the player does or does not bring to the team. Based on his history, the FO should not give him a contract hoping all will go well. This is a Fred Jackson type decision in my mind- the FO believed that he is well over the hill even though he was not too bad in the previous season. They cut Fred which opened up the thought process to bring other replacement. Sorry but in my mind, the risk of an unavailable Harvin is far more than the reward when and if he plays.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I don't agree. A decision should be made based on what the player does or does not bring to the team. Based on his history, the FO should not give him a contract hoping all will go well. This is a Fred Jackson type decision in my mind- the FO believed that he is well over the hill even though he was not too bad in the previous season. They cut Fred which opened up the thought process to bring other replacement. Sorry but in my mind, the risk of an unavailable Harvin is far more than the reward when and if he plays.

The last line is your opinion. That is not an uncommon opinion.

The 1st part though doesn't speak to the process that the FO goes through. They can't simply plan on good Harvin. They have to factor in the potential downside as well as the contract. If you can get a guy with $10M a year talent for $2M that is a good move. The goal is to get $10M a year production for $2M. You may not even get $500k of production because of his question marks. If you sign someone like Sanu for $4M (as an example) you aren't going to get the production of a $10M a year guy. He isn't capable of it. You don't have the downside of Harvin but you don't have the upside either. Those are absolutely things that the FO has to consider. "Do we want the upside or dependability?"

If you sign someone like Sanu for $4M (as an example) you aren't going to get the production of a $10M a year guy. He isn't capable of it.

Nor is Percy Harvin. He has never put up the production of a $10m a year guy. I'd argue he has only once produced what you'd expect of a $5-6million a year guy and that was 6 years ago. Harvin at $2million a year I could live with. I wouldn't love it but I could live with it. Given a choice between him and spending an extra million $ on Sanu I'd go Sanu if I had the money available under my cap.

I just don't think Percy Harvin is as good as his reputation and he is proven to be prone to missing significant game time.

I don't buy that it was legit medical, though. He handled it like an ass, dicking his teammates over, in my opinion.

It seems hard to speculate with so little info. Mysterious circumstances seems the best phrase I've read. We really have no idea . . . we can only trust that the FO wouldn't resign him unless it was legit. They've indicated that they are interested (if the price is right) if that's genuine and not a final parting gift . . .

What exactly was wrong with him? Didn't Woods and Hogan play thru some painful injuries?

I don't think Harvin wants to play football. He seems to do just enough to get paid. I wish I was wrong.

My assumption . His second injury during the season forced him to sit.

At that point he became overwhelmed and frustrated enough to consider retiring.

I am guessing his injury(s) were season ending when the news came out about him retiring.

Whaley is spot on with his statement ( he is very good at this ) when he is actually healthy. which means he is not, then the Bills will talk football to Harvin.

I would LOOOve to have Percy healthy across from Sammy.

and draft another by the 4th round.

T2 was looking at PH every drop back it seemed to me.

Harvin is an outstanding football player when healthy. As long is they don't "count" on him making it through the whole season and have a plan for when he goes down again I would like to have him back. It also has to be at a reasonable price. We definitely need to add some quality depth at WR.

I remember when he got the plattlet rich injection in training camp http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000512376/article/percy-harvin-needs-injection-sidelined-with-hip-pain. He had hip issues in Seattle as well.

Face it, the guy ain't gonna be healthy. Neither is Goodwin. Time !to move on and bring in some guys that can suit up 12 games or so a season even if they aren't as good.

Edited by reddogblitz

I remember when he got the plattlet rich injection in training camp http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000512376/article/percy-harvin-needs-injection-sidelined-with-hip-pain. He had hip issues in Seattle as well.

Face it, the guy ain't gonna be healthy. Neither is Goodwin. Time !to move on and bring in some guys that can suit up 12 games or so a season even if they aren't as good.

If the price is right you don't have to move on from Percy, just plan to have another wr2 in the mix as well (not woods). Goodwin on the other hand...you definitely can't keep both that's for sure. It's not just that Percy gets hurt, it's that Sammy and Goodwin also constantly get hurt. That put us out 3 WRs at times and 2 WRs regularly.

Edited by dayman