Report: Whaley's job is safe

boater

This stuff changes from week to week. I for one just don't get all the fan love for a man who has made a bunch of mistakes during his time as GM.

Who actually drafted EJ? The guy that went and personally scouted him was Whaley. Bryce Brown for a fourth. Mike Williams replacing Stevie Johnson because Stevie didn't mesh well with EJ who as to be benched after three games and Kyle Orton could have used that always open WR. Replacing Andy Levitre with Chris Williams for 5.5 in guaranteed money! Doug Legurski, Colin Brown all = :doh:

Rex Ryan vouched for Richie Incognito. Whaley didn't sign Richie Incognito on his own either as he could have signed him for the 2014 season and didn't. That offensive line which has never been properly upgraded in the entire time Whaley has been GM is headed for some serious changes this offseason if the team fails to sign Glenn, Incognito. The right side still has serious issues with the players Whaley obtained. Henderson, Kounandjio, Miller, Urbik all stink in their own way. Just think what that line would look like again this season without Incognito in probably battling for near worst again this year.

Another serious fault with Whaley is his choice for QB in EJ as It was all Rex Ryan who wanted Tyrod Taylor for QB! Taylor has been such a bright spot for the offense this year he is also pro bowl alternate and so is Richie Incognito. Rex Ryan also wanted to sign certain linebackers in the offseason this year, and Whaley didn't get that done. Bill Polian wants the Bills to get rid of EJ, and I doubt Whaley would let that happen. Some say Whaley wants to fire Greg Roman.

Is there a rift between the current HC & GM like there was last year between Marrone and others say there is no rift.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2015/12/20/10629580/doug-whaley-butting-heads-with-buffalo-bills-coaches-per-report

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2015/12/27/10669238/doug-whaley-not-on-the-hot-seat-per-report?_ga=1.179569380.1389375532.1449156100

What we heard earlier was that the Pegula's was to hire a senior NFL adviser / czar and Whaley would be taking a back seat to whomever that is. If this is true then Whaley may or may not choose to stay in Buffalo.

The only people that really know what will happen after the season ends are the new owners and I hope they hire a brilliant team president of football operations. Then step back and let him make all the football decisions.

I would love it if someone (I wouldn't know where to start) could find all the moves each GM has overseen in the past 2-3 years. I'd love to add up all their hits & misses compared to Whaley. I think that Whaley would stack up well. They all have misses including the great Raven GM.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A czar would signal to your actual GM that the owners do not consider him capable of doing his job. If you need a "czar", you need a new GM.

Agreed.

It didn't work in Cleveland with Holmgren and it didn't work in Miami with Parcells. And yes Parcells, I guess, helped them to one playoff season but it wasn't sustained success. He didn't put them on a path to a successful franchise.

And Brandon Marshall, and Fitz, and Revis, and Cromartie and Leonard Williams...but yeah it was just Bowles and the same team...

Rex had Cormartie in in 2011-13 and Revis 2011-12 and his team was 19-20th in points given up. We gave Fitz away and he started as the Jets backup. No one in NY/NJ would agree with you thet the Jets did not get better by firing Rex and his GM. No one outside of that area would either, save a few diehards here.

Whaley/Rex brought in a better QB, far better RB, and a SB OC....and still couldn't outperform last year's Marroners.

Not if you do see potential in Whaley. If The Family Pegula do bring in someone it means that they're smart enough to realize that they need some guidance.

Potential as what? The guy's not a rookie GM. This isn't a training program for GMs. He was made GM way to soon. Let someone else finish his training.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I wouldn't care if Whaley left, but he won't because there is no other GM job waiting for him. So if you are going to bring in someone to tell him how to do this job, just fire him and call the new guy the GM. None of this makes any sense at all otherwise. If the Pegulas bring in a "czar", to me that means they don't know what in the world to do. You pick one guy to be in charge and hire no one else.

I can envision a situation that would let the new owners hire a team president of football operations, and still keep Whaley. This move would ensure that Russ Brandon never again says "don't let him leave the room", and that the GM isn't trading away two first rounders for a supporting player when he doesn't already have an established franchise QB.

Whaley is a young GM and has made his share of mistakes while also doing some good things. I can see him needing some NFL experienced guidance in running a team. There are other NFL teams out there with both a GM and team president of football operations.

I can envision a situation that would let the new owners hire a team president of football operations, and still keep Whaley. This move would ensure that Russ Brandon never again says "don't let him leave the room", and that the GM isn't trading away two first rounders for a supporting player when he doesn't already have an established franchise QB.

Whaley is a young GM and has made his share of mistakes while also doing some good things. I can see him needing some NFL experienced guidance in running a team. There are other NFL teams out there with both a GM and team president of football operations.

Amen.

Based on everything he said after the Rex hire, it is clear that the Pegulas were heavily influenced by Whaley, not Brandon. Whaley was so blown away by Rex that he gushed that they were finishing each others sentences, or something to that effect.

Whaley was most impressed with Rex;s vision for the team. He clearly knew what Rex's defensive scheme involved (who didn't?) and he obviously told agreed with Rex that this exact roster, as is, would be just what Rex needed. So he can't get a pass that "the GM isn't the coach, isn't the players", etc.

Whaley got the man he wanted, he left zero doubt about this. It was an awful pick, predictably so.

Based on everything he said after the Rex hire, it is clear that the Pegulas were heavily influenced by Whaley, not Brandon. Whaley was so blown away by Rex that he gushed that they were finishing each others sentences, or something to that effect.

Whaley was most impressed with Rex;s vision for the team. He clearly knew what Rex's defensive scheme involved (who didn't?) and he obviously told agreed with Rex that this exact roster, as is, would be just what Rex needed. So he can't get a pass that "the GM isn't the coach, isn't the players", etc.

Whaley got the man he wanted, he left zero doubt about this. It was an awful pick, predictably so.

and yet it was Brandon who said "don't let him leave the room". Doesn't this make you want to make sure that Brandon stays on the financial side and Whaley gets some help?

I would love it if someone (I wouldn't know where to start) could find all the moves each GM has overseen in the past 2-3 years. I'd love to add up all their hits & misses compared to Whaley. I think that Whaley would stack up well. They all have misses including the great Raven GM.

While I agree with that to an extent I also believe that Whaley has issues with finding the talent in offensive players and most notably for the offensive line. Chris Williams, Doug Legurski, Colin Brown. Then draft picks in Henderson, Miller, Kouandjio. what does it say about the starting RT when a guy off the street players better than both the starter and backup. Last year the RG situation was so bad that the team started Erik Pears at RG. :sick: Like I said Incognito was all Rex Ryan who vouched for him, and if they don't sign him this years line is as bad as last years, which was 30th bad in the league.

RB's are supposedly a dime a dozen in today's NFL, and yet this team needed to buy a RB for 6 mill per. Two firsts, and a fouth for a WR when the team could have stayed put and drafted an equally good WR while still having that 2015 first round pick. Ron Darby was a second rounder and just imagine the LBer the team could have gotten with that first. Overpaying for an RB & TE because the team can't find them in the draft.

Then there is the QB situation... IMO Doug Whaley has failed big time on the offensive side of the ball since becoming GM of the Buffalo Bills.

and yet it was Brandon who said "don't let him leave the room". Doesn't this make you want to make sure that Brandon stays on the financial side and Whaley gets some help?

While I agree with that to an extent I also believe that Whaley has issues with finding the talent in offensive players and most notably for the offensive line. Chris Williams, Doug Legurski, Colin Brown. Then draft picks in Henderson, Miller, Kouandjio. what does it say about the starting RT when a guy off the street players better than both the starter and backup. Last year the RG situation was so bad that the team started Erik Pears at RG. :sick: Like I said Incognito was all Rex Ryan who vouched for him, and if they don't sign him this years line is as bad as last years, which was 30th bad in the league.

RB's are supposedly a dime a dozen in today's NFL, and yet this team needed to buy a RB for 6 mill per. Two firsts, and a fouth for a WR when the team could have stayed put and drafted an equally good WR while still having that 2015 first round pick. Ron Darby was a second rounder and just imagine the LBer the team could have gotten with that first. Overpaying for an RB & TE because the team can't find them in the draft.

Then there is the QB situation... IMO Doug Whaley has failed big time on the offensive side of the ball since becoming GM of the Buffalo Bills.

He said that after Rex and Whaley met for an intense football discussion about "things that would out me to sleep", said Petula.

As for other GMs, if you pick the right QB and the right HC, that's more than half the job.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I really like Whaley and feel he's done a good job of loading this team with talented players - now if we can just get a good coaching staff that can figure out how to use the talent - we will be OK. Rex keeps trying to put a square peg through a round hole. Bring Schwartz back and keep Roman and company on the Offensive side.

This stuff changes from week to week. I for one just don't get all the fan love for a man who has made a bunch of mistakes during his time as GM.

Who actually drafted EJ? The guy that went and personally scouted him was Whaley. Bryce Brown for a fourth. Mike Williams replacing Stevie Johnson because Stevie didn't mesh well with EJ who as to be benched after three games and Kyle Orton could have used that always open WR. Replacing Andy Levitre with Chris Williams for 5.5 in guaranteed money! Doug Legurski, Colin Brown all = :doh:

Rex Ryan vouched for Richie Incognito. Whaley didn't sign Richie Incognito on his own either as he could have signed him for the 2014 season and didn't. That offensive line which has never been properly upgraded in the entire time Whaley has been GM is headed for some serious changes this offseason if the team fails to sign Glenn, Incognito. The right side still has serious issues with the players Whaley obtained. Henderson, Kounandjio, Miller, Urbik all stink in their own way. Just think what that line would look like again this season without Incognito in probably battling for near worst again this year.

Another serious fault with Whaley is his choice for QB in EJ as It was all Rex Ryan who wanted Tyrod Taylor for QB! Taylor has been such a bright spot for the offense this year he is also pro bowl alternate and so is Richie Incognito. Rex Ryan also wanted to sign certain linebackers in the offseason this year, and Whaley didn't get that done. Bill Polian wants the Bills to get rid of EJ, and I doubt Whaley would let that happen. Some say Whaley wants to fire Greg Roman.

Is there a rift between the current HC & GM like there was last year between Marrone and others say there is no rift.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2015/12/20/10629580/doug-whaley-butting-heads-with-buffalo-bills-coaches-per-report

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2015/12/27/10669238/doug-whaley-not-on-the-hot-seat-per-report?_ga=1.179569380.1389375532.1449156100

What we heard earlier was that the Pegula's was to hire a senior NFL adviser / czar and Whaley would be taking a back seat to whomever that is. If this is true then Whaley may or may not choose to stay in Buffalo.

The only people that really know what will happen after the season ends are the new owners and I hope they hire a brilliant team president of football operations. Then step back and let him make all the football decisions.

What's the success to failure rate on free agent moves and draft picks across the league? What's Whaley?

It's completely my perception, I don't have the data, but I believe Whaley is league average or better in these areas. And I think he's very strong in trades.

Any argument without this data is not very useful and I'd love to see the data myself. Best way to judge him. Every GM has a huge contingent of misses.

Edited by BlueFire