Report: Whaley's job is safe

boater

IMO, there's no such thing as a czar who consults. A czar calls shots and sets strategy that others below him follow. A consultant OTOH makes recommendations that do not have to be adhered to. That's my sense.

If they want to consider an outside assessment to see where those ideas fit into what they're already doing...Fine by me.

Exactly, so hire the former czar.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good...

Let's fix this defense and get a real #2 WR

Harvin was supposed to be that guy

hell he was a number one for a minute. It was a nice idea !

I'm good with this. I hope they put pressure on Rex to change his D to the one last year. Enough pressure that he quits. They need to tell him he needs to can his defensive staff and change the system and just be the coach! Don't be surprised if this happens.

Edit :This would be better than changing the personnel

No quit.

expect adjustments though.

What I believe to be the facts:

1) OBD in disarray

2) Nobody pays the price this offseason

Prediction:

1) Don't expect success (spelled playoff appearance) for 3-5 years pending regime change which will inevitably happen due too ineptness (primarily coaching staff).

ugh

A czar would signal to your actual GM that the owners do not consider him capable of doing his job. If you need a "czar", you need a new GM.

good point Weo.

Good...

Let's fix this defense and get a real #2 WR

Wasn't much wrong with the D till last year. I am repeating my sentiments a lot, but retooling the D for compatibility with Rex's scheme may help us win the battle (D) but we will wont win the war. Does RR strike anyone as a man in control of the overall game ? That he will get us to the promised land even if given 4 years ?

As for the #2 WR, I don't think Harvin was the correct receiver for that. We need a big, strong possession receiver ala Brandon Marshall

My feeling, based on

is that Rex sold The Family Pegs and Whaley a bill of goods when he was hired. He said all of the right things...I'll utilize the talent on this defense and won't force my scheme on them blah blah blah...

Maybe a third party consultant would have been able to put a stop to that nonsense. I realize that cow is already over the moon, but, I still think that The Family Pegs needs someone experienced to be able to talk with about BIG football matters.

What you say is true (IMO), but, if he is in lockstep with Rex then he needs to bring in the players that fit his defensive scheme. It would have been nice if that started last off season.

Thats right. 'Stay the course' implies this was an intentionally lost season. That there was knowledge that the D may underperform due to their ill fit with the scheme, yet no significant changes were made. Not a good situation.

is that Rex sold The Family Pegs and Whaley a bill of goods when he was hired. He said all of the right things...I'll utilize the talent on this defense and won't force my scheme on them blah blah blah...

Seems most likely, but why continue with RR in that case ? It seems like RR is continuing the sell his message successfully to OBD. Fool me once ...

A czar would signal to your actual GM that the owners do not consider him capable of doing his job. If you need a "czar", you need a new GM.

Yep.

For DW's sake (and also obviously RR's), here's to 2 big wins at home that will close out the season on a positive note & make the czar's job easier.

so you're saying layers are bad, but the Bills have those layers and you're ok with that?

I am saying that adding layers can be troublesome.

A lateral consultant or two might be the best method at this point. But the hierarchy should remain as it is.

make better sense BB?

This stuff changes from week to week. I for one just don't get all the fan love for a man who has made a bunch of mistakes during his time as GM.

Who actually drafted EJ? The guy that went and personally scouted him was Whaley. Bryce Brown for a fourth. Mike Williams replacing Stevie Johnson because Stevie didn't mesh well with EJ who as to be benched after three games and Kyle Orton could have used that always open WR. Replacing Andy Levitre with Chris Williams for 5.5 in guaranteed money! Doug Legurski, Colin Brown all = :doh:

Rex Ryan vouched for Richie Incognito. Whaley didn't sign Richie Incognito on his own either as he could have signed him for the 2014 season and didn't. That offensive line which has never been properly upgraded in the entire time Whaley has been GM is headed for some serious changes this offseason if the team fails to sign Glenn, Incognito. The right side still has serious issues with the players Whaley obtained. Henderson, Kounandjio, Miller, Urbik all stink in their own way. Just think what that line would look like again this season without Incognito in probably battling for near worst again this year.

Another serious fault with Whaley is his choice for QB in EJ as It was all Rex Ryan who wanted Tyrod Taylor for QB! Taylor has been such a bright spot for the offense this year he is also pro bowl alternate and so is Richie Incognito. Rex Ryan also wanted to sign certain linebackers in the offseason this year, and Whaley didn't get that done. Bill Polian wants the Bills to get rid of EJ, and I doubt Whaley would let that happen. Some say Whaley wants to fire Greg Roman.

Is there a rift between the current HC & GM like there was last year between Marrone and others say there is no rift.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2015/12/20/10629580/doug-whaley-butting-heads-with-buffalo-bills-coaches-per-report

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2015/12/27/10669238/doug-whaley-not-on-the-hot-seat-per-report?_ga=1.179569380.1389375532.1449156100

What we heard earlier was that the Pegula's was to hire a senior NFL adviser / czar and Whaley would be taking a back seat to whomever that is. If this is true then Whaley may or may not choose to stay in Buffalo.

The only people that really know what will happen after the season ends are the new owners and I hope they hire a brilliant team president of football operations. Then step back and let him make all the football decisions.

Edited by Nihilarian

And yet, seemingly have already made the decision to keep both Whaley and RR ? How independent is this consulant anyway ?

This is the trick. Who does the " consultant " report to.

Pegs? Whaley and Pegs? or the whole group? minus Brandon of course ha !

My feeling, based on

Maybe a third party consultant would have been able to put a stop to that nonsense. I realize that cow is already over the moon, but, I still think that The Family Pegs needs someone experienced to be able to talk with about BIG football matters.

Yep. Someone other than DW and RR, and most definitely someone other than Brandon.

Doug Whaley is a very good scout.

Doug Whaley has not yet proven that he is a good GM.

Some fans don't understand the difference, at all.

I'm fine with giving him another year (although it takes two to tango, and he's a FA). But he should be on a short leash until he demonstrates a better understanding of team-building. Prior to this year he did a terrible job addressing the offensive line, QB, TE and #2 WR positions and we're still not settled in those areas. And he'd better start finding decent linebackers on the cheap, because we need like six of those.

This stuff changes from week to week. I for one just don't get all the fan love for a man who has made a bunch of mistakes during his time as GM. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2015/12/20/10629580/doug-whaley-butting-heads-with-buffalo-bills-coaches-per-report

Who actually drafted EJ? The guy that went and personally scouted him was Whaley. Bryce Brown for a fourth. Mike Williams replacing Stevie Johnson because Stevie didn't mesh well with EJ who as to be benched after three games and Kyle Orton could have used that always open WR. Replacing Andy Levitre with Chris Williams for 5.5 in guaranteed money! Doug Legurski, Colin Brown all = :doh:

Rex Ryan vouched for Richie Incognito. Whaley didn't sign Richie Incognito on his own either as he could have signed him for the 2014 season and didn't. That offensive line which has never been properly upgraded in the entire time Whaley has been GM is headed for some serious changes this offseason if the team fails to sign Glenn, Incognito. The right side still has serious issues with the players Whaley obtained. Henderson, Kounandjio, Miller, Urbik all stink in their own way. Just think what that line would look like again this season without Incognito in probably battling for near worst again this year.

Another serious fault with Whaley is his choice for QB in EJ as It was all Rex Ryan who wanted Tyrod Taylor for QB! Taylor has been such a bright spot for the offense this year he is also pro bowl alternate and so is Richie Incognito. Rex Ryan also wanted to sign certain linebackers in the offseason this year, and Whaley didn't get that done. Bill Polian wants the Bills to get rid of EJ, and I doubt Whaley would let that happen. Some say Whaley wants to fire Greg Roman.

Is there a rift between the current HC & GM like there was last year between Marrone and others say there is no rift.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2015/12/27/10669238/doug-whaley-not-on-the-hot-seat-per-report?_ga=1.179569380.1389375532.1449156100

What we heard earlier was that the Pegula's was to hire a senior NFL adviser / czar and Whaley would be taking a back seat to whomever that is. If this is true then Whaley may or may not choose to stay in Buffalo.

The only people that really know what will happen after the season ends are the new owners and I hope they hire a brilliant team president of football operations. Then step back and let him make all the football decisions.

No checks and balances Nil ?

if so then Polian is not the guy.

Just speaking about the team shows he is just spouting off.

But i have no issue with Pegs getting a football education from an outsider looking in.

I am saying that adding layers can be troublesome.

A lateral consultant or two might be the best method at this point. But the hierarchy should remain as it is.

make better sense BB?

To me? :D

I believe that more is needed. If they have a consultant, a majordomo, then I'm not sure he/she is doing a successful job.

I would like to see the entire coaching staff jettisoned and a new one brought in, but, that a'int happening (IMO) so bring in someone to start putting fingers in the dikes before Buffalo becomes Johnstown.

This stuff changes from week to week. I for one just don't get all the fan love for a man who has made a bunch of mistakes during his time as GM.

. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2015/12/20/10629580/doug-whaley-butting-heads-with-buffalo-bills-coaches-per-report

Yep.

Two more games to go...

Doug Whaley is a very good scout.

Doug Whaley has not yet proven that he is a good GM.

Some fans don't understand the difference, at all.

I'm fine with giving him another year (although it takes two to tango, and he's a FA). But he should be on a short leash until he demonstrates a better understanding of team-building. Prior to this year he did a terrible job addressing the offensive line, QB, TE and #2 WR positions and we're still not settled in those areas. And he'd better start finding decent linebackers on the cheap, because we need like six of those.

LOL its harder to bring in players when the schemes keep shifting ?

recall not long ago Nix was drafting/reaching for a NT? next year we go 4-3. hybrid, 4-3, and most recently hybrid.

Quite a dance to succeed i bet.

and hell yes bring the LBs draft and FA