49ers crowd at kickoff time on Sunday

This is what happens when you build a new stadium, drive up prices, require PSLs, and kick out the diehard supporters for wealthy, casual fans and very often corporate seats. Welcome to the NFL where fans with disposable income and limited interest stay home because not going isn't like they've lost anythihg. That being said, I'm skipping the last two games myself. I'm worn out.

This is what happens when you build a new stadium, drive up prices, require PSLs, and kick out the diehard supporters for wealthy, casual fans and very often corporate seats. Welcome to the NFL where fans with disposable income and limited interest stay home because not going isn't like they've lost anythihg. That being said, I'm skipping the last two games myself. I'm worn out.

No question that's what the NFL has become. However the Bay Area has plenty of money. I don't think that's the problem here. It's the wealthiest area in the country. The problem is that outside of Buffalo when you lose people don't show up. Bills fans are amazing, that's what this picture means.

Yup.

Best example is the new Yankee Stadium. Anytime they show the on-deck batter on TV you can see the $1000+ per ticket box seats 90% empty. Every game.

Yankee Stadium would fill right up if they were still winning World Series. In most cities fans are fickle, and don't show when their teams aren't winning. Teams like the Yankees have even higher standards. Wait until Brady retires in New England. Even if they become an average playoff team the stadium will likely fail to be full every week. A lot of these "empty seats" have already been sold and licensed out. The fans are just failing to show. The team and league get their money, they are happy either way.

Fans better realize when / if a new stadium is built here, that will happen here too. All of a sudden RWS looks pretty good B-)

It's like that with everything nowadays - any type of event you want to see - sports, concert, show - only the wealthy can afford to go. I remember growing up we didn't have much money, but every so often we would go to a game or a show at Sheas, but nowadays I don't know how a family could do it without dropping $500 - that's a lot of money. It's a shame because kids don't get to see the things I got to as a kid - they have to watch everything on TV or video because it's too expensive to actually go to many things. My brother lives in San Jose and makes a pretty good living - his son is a huge Niners fan and they can't go to a game because it would cost a minimum of $300/seat to go - not worth it, but they are losing my nephew as the next generation of people to attend games.

Yankee Stadium would fill right up if they were still winning World Series. In most cities fans are fickle, and don't show when their teams aren't winning. Teams like the Yankees have even higher standards. Wait until Brady retires in New England. Even if they become an average playoff team the stadium will likely fail to be full every week. A lot of these "empty seats" have already been sold and licensed out. The fans are just failing to show. The team and league get their money, they are happy either way.

Not sure. Went to Bills/Skins yesterday. I have to tell you , the in person NFL experience is not very good. So many timeouts , the game has zero flow, you have to stand the entire game, half of the fans are twenty something male loser-types exceedingly drunk and therefore abnoxious and cursing the whole game. the stress level + the alcohol level = tension in the stands... If your team is losing, the atmosphere is pretty toxic.. entertainment means winning. No entertainment (if your team is behind or playing like crap + drunk + nowhere to go = pretty lousy experience for 100's o dollars.

the stadium inside and out is nothing but a huge advertising platform; i figured out where all the roadside billboards went..FEDEX Field is covered inside and out with them.. I mean Covered. lighted/flashing/like freakin times square ... had a hard time finding the tiny little game clock display..seriously. and did i mention too many timeouts? long timeouts.... football is a great TV game. At home, remote in hand. Guess I'm getting old. Directv has nothing to fear with their NFL Sunday ticket platform.. .I'm in.

You guys really think the prices are why the stadium is empty? :huh:

I can go on ticket exchange and buy an $150 100 section ticket, $125 200 section $85 100 section for their final game against the Rams. Why aren't all the die hard fans buying up these tickets?

That's not to say that they are cheaper than our tickets, but they aren't thousands of dollars, or corporate boxes.

I can go on ticket exchange and buy an $150 100 section ticket, $125 200 section $85 100 section for their final game against the Rams. Why aren't all the die hard fans buying up these tickets?

That's not to say that they are cheaper than our tickets, but they aren't thousands of dollars, or corporate boxes.

If you kill your season ticket holders you kill your fans. You're just not going to get 40,000 people buying secondary market tickets.

Also, the Niners moved the team over an hour from their city. They are really the San Jose 49ers now.

Most of those box seats have been empty for playoff games too. You're right that someone probably bought them, but he's some hedge fund billionaire who shows up 2 or 3 times a year and doesn't really care about selling or giving his tickets away. Certainly the teams have figured out the best way to maximize revenue but in doing so many of them are killing the stadium experience.

This ^ People aren't showing up because their team stinks. The Ralph is the place to be in Buffalo on Sunday regardless of the team's performance. In other cities people are going to do something else when their team is out of the running. A lot of those empty seats have already been sold, and people simply didn't show. The tickets you showed on Stubhub show that money isn't the main issue here. Sure it's more than Buffalo, but the average income in the Bay Area is much greater as well.

This ^ People aren't showing up because their team stinks. The Ralph is the place to be in Buffalo on Sunday regardless of the team's performance. In other cities people are going to do something else when their team is out of the running. A lot of those empty seats have already been sold, and people simply didn't show. The tickets you showed on Stubhub show that money isn't the main issue here. Sure it's more than Buffalo, but the average income in the Bay Area is much greater as well.

you nailed it...team sucks that is it! Plus maybe some one from Bay Area could help out..but seems to me that stadium way down in the South Bay...prolly a pain in da arse for many to get to and from...and again...the team SUCKS

Yup.

Best example is the new Yankee Stadium. Anytime they show the on-deck batter on TV you can see the $1000+ per ticket box seats 90% empty. Every game.

I have seen hundreds of Yankees games at the stadium since 1979- and I hate the new stadium. Sure it's shiny, but it has no soul. They priced out the good fans, and greedily went for the corporate dollar. Newer is not necessarily better, and rarely is.

Also, the Niners moved the team over an hour from their city. They are really the San Jose 49ers now.

^This.

1. The stadium is located too far away from SF. It would be the equivalent to RWS being located in Brockport.

2. There is a light rail/Amtrak station right outside the stadium that connects directly to Oakland (not SF). The SF light rail line is over 2 miles away.

3. Through October, the stadium is HOT to sit in, usually 90 degrees plus. FYI Santa Clara weather is a lot different than SF weather.

I have seen hundreds of Yankees games at the stadium since 1979- and I hate the new stadium. Sure it's shiny, but it has no soul. They priced out the good fans, and greedily went for the corporate dollar. Newer is not necessarily better, and rarely is.

I've never really understood when people say that the "real fans" are being priced out of sports. If I remember correctly the old Yankke Stadium box seats were always filled by dignitaries, and men wearing suits as well. The average fan can still look on StubHub and find affordable tickets for the new Yankee Stadium. They might not be behind home base, but when was the average working class guy from the Bronx ever behind home base? Maybe I'm just young and need to be enlightened. Haven't the better seats always cost more than the nosebleeds? If this is the case, haven't people of higher economic status always had the better seats? For that matter some people can't afford $70 tickets. This doesn't mean they aren't "real fans". So as far as I'm concerned real fans are often excluded no matter what. It's not like the NFL offers special $20 seating sections, or something of the like. I just don't understand the doom and gloom of people being "priced out". Someone will always be priced out. That's one of the realities of capitalism. I don't like it either, but to complain about it brings about far bigger philosophical questions. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Not sure. Went to Bills/Skins yesterday. I have to tell you , the in person NFL experience is not very good. So many timeouts , the game has zero flow, you have to stand the entire game, half of the fans are twenty something male loser-types exceedingly drunk and therefore abnoxious and cursing the whole game. the stress level + the alcohol level = tension in the stands... If your team is losing, the atmosphere is pretty toxic.. entertainment means winning. No entertainment (if your team is behind or playing like crap + drunk + nowhere to go = pretty lousy experience for 100's o dollars.

the stadium inside and out is nothing but a huge advertising platform; i figured out where all the roadside billboards went..FEDEX Field is covered inside and out with them.. I mean Covered. lighted/flashing/like freakin times square ... had a hard time finding the tiny little game clock display..seriously. and did i mention too many timeouts? long timeouts.... football is a great TV game. At home, remote in hand. Guess I'm getting old. Directv has nothing to fear with their NFL Sunday ticket platform.. .I'm in.

I've never really understood when people say that the "real fans" are being priced out of sports. If I remember correctly the old Yankke Stadium box seats were always filled by dignitaries, and men wearing suits as well. The average fan can still look on StubHub and find affordable tickets for the new Yankee Stadium. They might not be behind home base, but when was the average working class guy from the Bronx ever behind home base? Maybe I'm just young and need to be enlightened. Haven't the better seats always cost more than the nosebleeds? If this is the case, haven't people of higher economic status always had the better seats? For that matter some people can't afford $70 tickets. This doesn't mean they aren't "real fans". So as far as I'm concerned real fans are often excluded no matter what. It's not like the NFL offers special $20 seating sections, or something of the like. I just don't understand the doom and gloom of people being "priced out". Someone will always be priced out. That's one of the realities of capitalism. I don't like it either, but to complain about it brings about far bigger philosophical questions.

My friend had season tickets to Shea for years -- total diehard through years of bad teams. I sat in his seats many times. Two years before they closed Shea, they doubled his ticket prices. Two years later when they opened CitiField, they doubled them again -- AND offered him worse seats than he had at Shea. So he dropped them. He also had Islander season tickets for many years and dropped those too when they moved to Brooklyn (and no doubt jacked prices). That's what people mean by "real fans are being priced out".

Spare me the Stubhub b.s. That's fine for once in a while, but most people want to buy tickets in advance, make plans with other people, have it on their calendar, etc. They don't want to scour the internet 48 hours before the game to see if there are any reasonable tickets available.

No one is suggesting the NFL or other sports don't have the right to do whatever they want, but many have argued that killing the stadium experience for young fans (or the TV experience for young fans if you are MLB or the other sports who only show games at night) is short-sighted and will eventually have a material adverse impact on the size of your fan base and hence, TV revenues.

My friend had season tickets to Shea for years -- total diehard through years of bad teams. I sat in his seats many times. Two years before they closed Shea, they doubled his ticket prices. Two years later when they opened CitiField, they doubled them again -- AND offered him worse seats than he had at Shea. So he dropped them. He also had Islander season tickets for many years and dropped those too when they moved to Brooklyn (and no doubt jacked prices). That's what people mean by "real fans are being priced out".

Spare me the Stubhub b.s. That's fine for once in a while, but most people want to buy tickets in advance, make plans with other people, have it on their calendar, etc. They don't want to scour the internet 48 hours before the game to see if there are any reasonable tickets available.

No one is suggesting the NFL or other sports don't have the right to do whatever they want, but many have argued that killing the stadium experience for young fans (or the TV experience for young fans if you are MLB or the other sports who only show games at night) is short-sighted and will eventually have a material adverse impact on the size of your fan base and hence, TV revenues.

Its going to be interesting to see the mid to long term effects. Empty stadiums are not sustainable for the mega-rich to stay mega-rich and they will do something about it.

Before pegula bought the team, I felt like we had to spend money keep the team in buffalo. If there were no fans in buffalo, a new owner would have find a new (money spending market) home for this team. But we proved that we can financially support an NFL team year after year with ticket and jersey sales. The product on the field had no consequence to the owner as they seem to make their money regardless.

Now that the threat of the team moving has been removed, if the revenue dries up from ticket sales, jersey sales, etc, this will now effect the owner and the answer of moving the team is far far less likely that the period post wilson/pre pegula. This "obligation" is no longer there. The obligation should be on the owners to put a product on the field worth supporting. I hope the stadium is empty the next two games. Its what this team deserves, and hopefully it will send a message. I am a younger bills fan, but I do have the money to buy tickets to one or two games a year... but I dont... and won't until I see a team that I am confident will, ya know, beat the jags... Its much cheaper to get upset at home.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

If you kill your season ticket holders you kill your fans. You're just not going to get 40,000 people buying secondary market tickets.

Most of those box seats have been empty for playoff games too. You're right that someone probably bought them, but he's some hedge fund billionaire who shows up 2 or 3 times a year and doesn't really care about selling or giving his tickets away. Certainly the teams have figured out the best way to maximize revenue but in doing so many of them are killing the stadium experience.

The Yankees will tell you that everybody is in side eating watching on TV. They actually have said that. Guy in the NY Post said yup makes perfect since to spend all the money and watch the game on TV.