We Need A Real QB

The_Dude

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if you go to NFL.com you'll see that Taylor ranks 34th in a league of 32 teams for yards per game. #Elite

He ranks 16 in touchdowns. #Extraordinary

He ranks 37th in attempts per game...wow! Hand him the keys to the car because it's clear the coaches trust him.

Look, Taylor doesn't suck...but he's not getting the Bills to where we want them to go. The solution is to pencil Taylor in as next years starter, cut EJ, sign a FA QB, and draft a guy with a strong arm in the first two rounds.

If I were Whaley I'd target Osweiler in free agency and look for a guy like Wentz in round 1 or something.

Taylor hasn't earned 'unquestioned starter' status.

Sorry I disagree with you. But I'm not wrong.

Dude. YES.

Taylor isn't the reason the Bills missed the playoffs. But it's crazy that we basically ask him not to throw the ball too much to win.

Great deep ball and very elusive though.

We feature the run.....it worked for Seattle.

What I would like to see TT work on going into next year is make sure there was not a pass option before he tucks it and goes........bring down his rushing stats a tad and bring up his passing numbers a tad.

I still think that will come with playing time.

Also....if they are going to throw the damn fade then do with with a BIG WIDE RECEIVER who will battle for the ball

• 1 month later...

he's a rookie. he'll have all the reps with the 1's this offseason and will get better. a lot better , IMO. Karlos, John Miller, Darby will have an entire offseason to train for a pro season (which will help Miller tremendously) and get better and post Fred Jackson leaders will emerge. It's a new day. We're just on page one with this group. Forget the playoffs, I want a real contender. This season was not going to be it, never was. This team would have been erased in the playoffs if they got there this year. too many new parts from top to bottom. is what it is. year one.

Yep. most of the offense barley knew each other as people when the season started. they needed time to gel and our QB wasnt named till late august. our fan base is so playoff starved we expect to get there each season but forget with a new HC and an offense that was putrid last season at blocking, getting TDs and running the ball this year was a big step to becoming a real contender or realizing we need a new HC and complete destroy and rebuild (I hope not). The last game vs the NY where we had what 11 starters out? we looked sharp and low on penalties and finally had Watkins running screens and slants. I saw improvement in TT and the whole team vs a NY team that were playing for the playoffs and were healthier then us. He was finally hitting those 3rd down passes we were missing at the beginning and mid season. THATS IMPROVEMENT. The arrow on TTs development is pointing up, and dont tell me bout NY #%@&*%@ the bed cuz they did, but that doesnt discount they had a good defense this season.

TEAM RICE PICKS TYROD!

Hell yeah! We should totally give up on a guy after his first year as a starter in the NFL. I'm sick of the losing!

Truthfully, we should get someone like Tebow to come play for us. Or better yet, Johnny Football. They have great names, and I've heard of them more than once.

I'm so sick of "Tyrod's not the reason we lost" crap. True, Tyrod has played well enough for us to win games we've lost. But in those games he didn't play well enough to win them. And that's why we will never be good with Tyrod.

Yes, we can beat teams without great QB's like the Texans if everything goes to plan. But when things don't go as planned we don't have a guy who can sling it and win.

I'm watching the Steelers right now. Tyrod is no where near Rothlisberger and he never will be. Tyrod will never be able to out duel Rothlisberger, Brady, Rogers, Brees, Newton, Wilson, and so on...and those are the guys that are always scrapping for the Lombardi.

Tyrod can get us to the playoffs if all things go according to plan. But that's it. We're not winning much else with him.

That is why we don't resign Tyrod, we let him play out next year while the QB we should draft in the 1st or 2nd round sits a year. That HAS to be the plan. If it isn't, then shame on OBD.

I understand the frustration with TT. He never looked like Jim Kelly in his prime. He didn't demonstrate an ability to carry a team on his shoulders. He didn't complete a lot of passes over the middle. He didn't look like a guy who could throw for 300+ yards if you needed him to.

And yet, he was good at what Roman asked him to do. Good enough to get invited to the Pro Bowl in his first year as a starting QB.

Like DW, I'm not ready to anoint TT as our new franchise QB. But to call him a failure is way premature. Most of history's great QBs got better after their first year.

I understand the frustration with TT. He never looked like Jim Kelly in his prime. He didn't demonstrate an ability to carry a team on his shoulders. He didn't complete a lot of passes over the middle. He didn't look like a guy who could throw for 300+ yards if you needed him to.

And yet, he was good at what Roman asked him to do. Good enough to get invited to the Pro Bowl in his first year as a starting QB.

Like DW, I'm not ready to anoint TT as our new franchise QB. But to call him a failure is way premature. Most of history's great QBs got better after their first year.

I don't think many people actually remember Kelly in his prime. He had clunkers too.

Actually, if you go to NFL.com you'll see that Taylor ranks 34th in a league of 32 teams for yards per game. #Elite

He ranks 16 in touchdowns. #Extraordinary

He ranks 37th in attempts per game...wow! Hand him the keys to the car because it's clear the coaches trust him.

Look, Taylor doesn't suck...but he's not getting the Bills to where we want them to go. The solution is to pencil Taylor in as next years starter, cut EJ, sign a FA QB, and draft a guy with a strong arm in the first two rounds.

If I were Whaley I'd target Osweiler in free agency and look for a guy like Wentz in round 1 or something.

Taylor hasn't earned 'unquestioned starter' status.

Sorry I disagree with you. But I'm not wrong.

Dude, TT also averaged 8.0 yards per attempt - better than Brady, Brees, Cam, Rivers, Mariota, Bortles etc. What this means is that when TT drops back to pass, you should expect a better outcome than when Brady drops back.

You can't blame TT for Roman's run first philosophy. Roman isn't a run-first guy because he doesn't believe in TT. He's a run-first guy because that's who he is. Roman also has a better reputation - and track record - at coordinating a running attack than aerial attack. None of this is TT's fault.

TT's done very well with his chances.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I don't think many people actually remember Kelly in his prime. He had clunkers too.

Very true.

I guess then if you compare TT with Kelly highlights, then TT falls far short.

I do remember Kelly's rookie year. Despite Kelly playing pro ball in the USFL before coming to the Bills, he didn't yet look like a polished superstar. Some fans that year didn't think he was a franchise QB either.

Dude, TT also averaged 8.0 yards per attempt - better than Brady, Brees, Cam, Rivers, Mariota, Bortles etc. What this means is that when TT drops back to pass, you should expect a better outcome than when Brady drops back.

:huh: You lost me here..

Yards per attempt is not the be all end all when it comes to measuring QBs.. any stat you have that says Tyrod is better than Brady as a passer is clearly not telling the whole story.

Yards per attempt is not the be all end all when it comes to measuring QBs.. any stat you have that says Tyrod is better than Brady as a passer is clearly not telling the whole story.

You're right, YPA is not the whole story - but it is part of the story.

When Roman called a pass play, TT was effective running it. What more can you ask of him?

Dude mentioned yards and TDs. Obvoiusly, TT isn't going to produce a lot of either if Roman isn't calling his number. But when pass plays were called, TT averaged 8 yards per attempt which is very good.

The kid, in his first year, was effective at what he was asked to do. I think that earns him another year as the starter. Let's see if he can move his game forward.

Is only the be-all-and-end-all if it fits the TT sucks narrative.

Tyrod looked far better at QB than any of the other QBs the Bills have had over the past 15 years. Some Bills fans will be anti Tyrod no matter how well he plays. Just like some fans still think EJ should be the starter, even though he has played poorly when he started this year and last year.

You can't blame TT for Roman's run first philosophy. Roman isn't a run-first guy because he doesn't believe in TT. He's a run-first guy because that's who he is. Roman also has a better reputation - and track record - at coordinating a running attack than aerial attack. None of this is TT's fault.

TT's done very well with his chances.

:doh:

Wonder when the last time a ProBowl QB was labeled not good enough that was also essentially a rookie, played hurt most that season, lost all his offensive weapons (every single one and many of their backups) for periods of the season, didn't get first team reps on the offseason like an anointed starter would, first year in a new system, first year the whole team was in a new system, lots of OL injuries, and when he did have his weapons, they were often playing hurt and at less than full speed?

Seriously, anyone questioning Taylors potential right now should probably not be allowed to evaluate QBs anymore. And sorry "Dude", but your statistical analysis is a complete joke. We were the top rushing team in the league, we had a young QB, we lost our best receiving weapons frequently, and everyone was learning a new offense...you KNOW this...yet you choose to use Yardage TOTALS to discredit the kid when that has nothing to do with his skill and potential given the offense that was ran and was the offense chosen MONTHS before Tyrod was ever close to being the starter. Not to mention, you carefully ignore his plays with his legs as a QB.

This is just like all the foolish garbage BS people were trying to say about Russell not being Elite...because of his yardage totals in a run heavy offense despite the fact his passing efficiency was outstanding. Im not saying TT is on Russels level yet, but what I am saying is that its absolutely stupid to point to passing yard totals as a barometer on a QBs ability when the QB in question is also a dual threat and not count his rushing yards and also not take into effect the run first offense of a top rushing team in the NFL.