Is it Just Me or is Preston Brown Terrible?

Mark80

I thought Preston looked very good last season and seemed to have potential of being a very good MLB for us. But this year? What the hell happened to him? He misses tackles consistently, on that long run before halftime he was right in the hole where the HB was clearly heading and he overshot it by 2 yards and didn't even touch the guy. Tackling and playing your hole are not the coaches fault. He is there to make plays, but just doesn't do it. Not to mention his inability to man cover anyone really hurts our D too. Quick read passes are quite often to the guy he is covering. These are not just issues from today, it's been going on all season.

We need to make a concerted effort to get a legit, starting MLB to lead a defense and I think it's our biggest area of need on the whole team and it doesn't seem like anyone is even talking about this. Truly elite defenses almost always have at least one great LB on their team, we have none that are even close to being great.

Edited by Mark80

Doesn't fit the scheme. Like 90% of the roster. Great knee jerk hire of Rex.

Imo

Can't believe I'm quoting you, but I agree. He can't be very good one season in the pros and terrible the next season UNLESS something changes in how he's supposed to fit in a scheme.

Doesn't fit the scheme. Like 90% of the roster. Great knee jerk hire of Rex.

Imo

what a difference, a scheme makes!

I don't think it is scheme at all. He is there, he is in the right spot to make a play, but too many times the guys outruns him to the sideline, he over-pursues, or just misses the tackle. None of those things have anything to do with scheme, that's the player.

Nickell Robey

Preston Brown

Nigel Bradham

Marcel Dareus

Last year these players were amazing in Schwartz's defense. Bradham and Brown filled gaps and destroyed RBs. Robey flew to the ball and could get to the QB with well timed blitzes. Dareus was a monster against the run and still could rush the passer.

This defensive system is ruining their careers with us. Blame should go to Ryan and Thurman.

Edited by Fixxxer

I wouldn't be too hard on most of the defensive players. We look out of position consistently at all positions. This Rex defense is not working for anyone except Gillmore and Darby - who have just played lights out individually. Imagine how many turnovers those guys would create with a front 7 putting pressure on the QB.

Nickell Robey

Preston Brown

Nigel Bradham

Marcel Dareus

Last year these players were amazing in Schwartz's defense. Bradham and Brown filled gaps and destroyed RBs. Robey flew to the ball and could get to the QB with well timed blitzes. Dareus was a monster against the run and still could rush the passer.

This defensive system is ruining their careers with us. Blame should go to Ryan and Thurman.

Yes. I agree. Add in a healthy Kyle Williams.

Brown looks really bad in this Rex Defense, whatever it is.

I thought Preston looked very good last season and seemed to have potential of being a very good MLB for us. But this year? What the hell happened to him? He misses tackles consistently, on that long run before halftime he was right in the hole where the HB was clearly heading and he overshot it by 2 yards and didn't even touch the guy. Tackling and playing your hole are not the coaches fault. He is there to make plays, but just doesn't do it. Not to mention his inability to man cover anyone really hurts our D too. Quick read passes are quite often to the guy he is covering. These are not just issues from today, it's been going on all season.

We need to make a concerted effort to get a legit, starting MLB to lead a defense and I think it's our biggest area of need on the whole team and it doesn't seem like anyone is even talking about this. Truly elite defenses almost always have at least one great LB on their team, we have none that are even close to being great.

Graded out as the worst starting inside LB, the guy cannot make plays