Should the Bills "tank" in 2017 or 2018 to get a QB?

Jerry Jabber

Should the Bills "tank" for a season a two in order to draft a franchise QB if Taylor does not workout?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills "tank" for a season a two in order to draft a franchise QB if Taylor does not workout?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills should tank the 2017 season to be able to draft in the Top 5 to draft that QB. Otherwise, like Doug Whaley said, the Bills are in QB purgatory.

Yes, presently we are in QB purgatory. But tanking is not the only or maybe even the best way to get out.

The Hawks were in QB purgatory until they drafted Rusell in the 3rd round.

The Cardinals were in QB purgatory until they traded for Palmer.

The Saints were in QB purgatory until they signed Brees.

The Cowboys were in QB purgatory until they signed and developed Romo.

The Cheaps were in QB purgatory until they traded for Alex Smith.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Whaley has been aggressive in trying find us a QB. I don't see that stopping.

Edited by reddogblitz

When the Pegula’s bought the Sabres back in 2011, they thought the Sabres would be able to win the Stanley Cup within three years, but that didn’t come to fruition as they realized they had did not have the right roster and management to win the cup, so they gutted the team, and purposely tanked for two years in order to get two great players in the draft which would change their franchise [Reinhart and Eichel].

Right now, the Bills appear to be in the same boat as the Sabres were in 2011, a team that has some talent, but is not good enough to win a championship. I know the Bills plan on giving Taylor another year to see if he can be the franchise QB that the Bills have been looking for since Kelly retired nearly twenty years ago, but what if we’ve seen the best of Taylor? We know that’s not good enough to win a Superbowl, let alone go to the playoffs. With finishing between 6-10 and 9-7 lately, that is not a good position to be in to draft a franchise QB. In order for the Bills to trade up in the top 5 (most likely top 3), they would have to give up multiple first round picks (Washington gave up three first round picks to the Rams for RGIII). Instead of giving up multiple first round picks which could set the franchise back for many years, would it be a better idea to tank for a season or two to get high draft picks in order to get their franchise QB? Yes, it would suck to have to extend the playoff drought even longer as 16 years without the playoffs has been brutal, but let’s face facts, the Bills will not dethrone the Patriots as the AFC East champs until they get a real franchise QB.

Jerry:

Every year coaches, mgmt, and players are playing their hardest or doing their best becuase they won't be there for the turnaround. There is absolutely no way you'll see this in the NFL. There is only one exemption to this statement. In the last game of the season last year, the Bucs, and TN were trending to finish either 2-14 or 3-13. TB wanted Winston, and now I'd say for good reasons. They were winning in the first half of the game, and knew winning the game could only hurt getting what they believed was a franchise QB for a decade. Their season was completely over.Lovie had a lot of power in his first season with also mgmt authority as well and knew the Glazers from his assistant coaching days with Dungy in the late 90's. They are not quick to pull the trigger for the most part.

He made a good decision in the second half playing almost all back ups. That is a rare exception, it was one game, and their season was going to be for sure the #1 or 2 pick in the draft with no worries of being fired.

Any time i read tanking threads, they are not based in reality, it won't happen, just like we'll never trade for Rodgers, or insert any other franchise QB you see on this board every off season. Why talk in fantasy land when it won't happen.

I saw that post. The OP was discussing "tanking" for the rest of this season, while I was referring to "tanking" in the 2017 season or later if Taylor does not work out.

As I said in my original post, the Bills will never be AFC East champs until they have a real franchise QB. If Taylor is not the franchise guy, then just keep adding more years to the Patriots dominance of the division.

Turn in your fan card, and go too bed. Tanking in the NFL? For a team that has a developing QB, by most objective standards

Is for the clueless.

No. For every Manning, there's a Leaf. For every Luck, a Griffin III.

And for every Losman, there's a Holcomb. For every Edwards, there's a Fitzpatrick. For every Fitzpatrick, there's a Manuel. Or maybe it's just the Bills dumb luck!

The bills wouldn't tank correctly....

I hate to say it, but you're probably right!

And for every Losman, there's a Holcomb. For every Edwards, there's a Fitzpatrick. For every Fitzpatrick, there's a Manuel. Or maybe it's just the Bills dumb luck!

I hate to say it, but you're probably right!

It could be argued we did in 2010. We started 0-8 and then went 4-4 in the second half of the season. In the draft, Carolina took Cam at 1 and we took Mr. Big Stuff at 4.

Seahawks 1st round draft positions in the years before they won the Superbowl:

2007: no 1st round pick

2008: 28th

2009: 4th - picked Aaron Curry who wasn't even part of the Superbowl team

2010: 6th - picked Russell Okung and 14th

2011: 25th

2012: 15th

So in the years leading up to the Superbowl the only real pick up they got from tanking was Russell Okung. Most of their biggest contributors didn't necessarily come from tanking picks (which I might define as a top 5 pick).

It amazes me how people always say things like this like the top 5 is only place to get a QB and that there is always a franchise QB there in the top 5 in every draft.

How many of the starting QBs in the league right now were top 5 picks? How many QBs that were drafted in the top 5 the last ten years turned out to be busts?

QBs can be found after the first round. Drew Bree's, Derek Carr and Andy Dalton were all second round picks.

Edited by Max997

When the Pegula’s bought the Sabres back in 2011, they thought the Sabres would be able to win the Stanley Cup within three years, but that didn’t come to fruition as they realized they had did not have the right roster and management to win the cup, so they gutted the team, and purposely tanked for two years in order to get two great players in the draft which would change their franchise [Reinhart and Eichel].

Right now, the Bills appear to be in the same boat as the Sabres were in 2011, a team that has some talent, but is not good enough to win a championship. I know the Bills plan on giving Taylor another year to see if he can be the franchise QB that the Bills have been looking for since Kelly retired nearly twenty years ago, but what if we’ve seen the best of Taylor? We know that’s not good enough to win a Superbowl, let alone go to the playoffs. With finishing between 6-10 and 9-7 lately, that is not a good position to be in to draft a franchise QB. In order for the Bills to trade up in the top 5 (most likely top 3), they would have to give up multiple first round picks (Washington gave up three first round picks to the Rams for RGIII). Instead of giving up multiple first round picks which could set the franchise back for many years, would it be a better idea to tank for a season or two to get high draft picks in order to get their franchise QB? Yes, it would suck to have to extend the playoff drought even longer as 16 years without the playoffs has been brutal, but let’s face facts, the Bills will not dethrone the Patriots as the AFC East champs until they get a real franchise QB.

we should have tanked for luck

It amazes me how people always say things like this like the top 5 is only place to get a QB and that there is always a franchise QB there in the top 5 in every draft.

How many of the starting QBs in the league right now were top 5 picks? How many QBs that were drafted in the top 5 the last ten years turned out to be busts?

QBs can be found after the first round. Drew Bree's, Derek Carr and Andy Dalton were all second round picks.

The problem is the Bills haven't been that lucky to draft a QB in the 2nd round that has panned out. Whether that's scouting, the GM's decision, management/coach/ownership decision, but one thing is for sure, it's been almost 19 years since we last had a franchise QB, and what the Bills have been doing over that time span has not been working.

Franchise QB = unicorns. Everyone wants one but no one can say for sure where you get one.

I thought the stork brought them and left them under your pillow or around the house for you to find.

If you leave milk and cookies your chances increase exponentially btw.

It can be done. I have seen it. But its rare enough to consider fantastical methods will be needed to find the Pot O' Gold. Clicking the your Ruby Red slippers is worth a shot too.

No offense Jerry , just funnin' on ya all !!

Why in the world would we tank when we might actually have a qb?

Notice I did not say "franchise qb"......I am thinking more in the terms of legit "starting" qb

That is enough....you dont tank so you can hope to get another starting qb when you already have one

There are literally like 4 certifiied "franchise qbs" in the NFL

No......hold your ground and draft in the first.....a middle linebacker, a offensive linemen, a DE.......there will be a quality player where we pick

I thought the stork brought them and left them under your pillow or around the house for you to find.

If you leave milk and cookies your chances increase exponentially btw.

It can be done. I have seen it. But its rare enough to consider fantastical methods will be needed to find the Pot O' Gold. Clicking the your Ruby Red slippers is worth a shot too.

No offense Jerry , just funnin' on ya all !!

Dont be silly

You can drive down to any Wallmart and pick one up off the shelf in ile 13