Should the Bills "tank" in 2017 or 2018 to get a QB?

Jerry Jabber

Should the Bills "tank" for a season a two in order to draft a franchise QB if Taylor does not workout?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills "tank" for a season a two in order to draft a franchise QB if Taylor does not workout?

When the Pegula’s bought the Sabres back in 2011, they thought the Sabres would be able to win the Stanley Cup within three years, but that didn’t come to fruition as they realized they had did not have the right roster and management to win the cup, so they gutted the team, and purposely tanked for two years in order to get two great players in the draft which would change their franchise [Reinhart and Eichel].

Right now, the Bills appear to be in the same boat as the Sabres were in 2011, a team that has some talent, but is not good enough to win a championship. I know the Bills plan on giving Taylor another year to see if he can be the franchise QB that the Bills have been looking for since Kelly retired nearly twenty years ago, but what if we’ve seen the best of Taylor? We know that’s not good enough to win a Superbowl, let alone go to the playoffs. With finishing between 6-10 and 9-7 lately, that is not a good position to be in to draft a franchise QB. In order for the Bills to trade up in the top 5 (most likely top 3), they would have to give up multiple first round picks (Washington gave up three first round picks to the Rams for RGIII). Instead of giving up multiple first round picks which could set the franchise back for many years, would it be a better idea to tank for a season or two to get high draft picks in order to get their franchise QB? Yes, it would suck to have to extend the playoff drought even longer as 16 years without the playoffs has been brutal, but let’s face facts, the Bills will not dethrone the Patriots as the AFC East champs until they get a real franchise QB.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have heard there is no decent QB prospect to draft in 2016.

Also IN

It's already too late for 2016, plus Whaley already stated Taylor is going to be the starter in 2016, so if the Bills were to tank, that possibility wouldn't happen until the 2017 season.

Quick question, what does "IN" mean?

It's already too late for 2016, plus Whaley already stated Taylor is going to be the starter in 2016, so if the Bills were to tank, that possibility wouldn't happen until the 2017 season.

It's timing the tank. Making sure we dump a lot of salary all at once - be terrible that one year. Get the QB, then start building around him.

This only works if there is a cant miss guy though.

It's because of this: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183748-start-tanking-now/

I saw that post. The OP was discussing "tanking" for the rest of this season, while I was referring to "tanking" in the 2017 season or later if Taylor does not work out.

As I said in my original post, the Bills will never be AFC East champs until they have a real franchise QB. If Taylor is not the franchise guy, then just keep adding more years to the Patriots dominance of the division.

I saw that post. The OP was discussing "tanking" for the rest of this season, while I was referring to "tanking" in the 2017 season or later if Taylor does not work out.

As I said in my original post, the Bills will never be AFC East champs until they have a real franchise QB. If Taylor is not the franchise guy, then just keep adding more years to the Patriots dominance of the division.

Whether it's tank now or later. As I said in the other thread..... For who? For what?

Whether it's tank now or later. As I said in the other thread..... For who? For what?

So, the Bills should just keep going after sub-par QB's which can only take the team between 6-10 and 9-7? Yeah, that's great logic. It hasn't worked for 16 years now, so it's suddenly going to work now?

The only way the Bills are going to get a Top 10 QB is being able to draft high (most likely Top 3). So, either the Bills give up multiple first round picks to do it, tank so they don't have to give up those picks, or keep with the status quo and hope scrubs like Fitz, Losman, Edwards, Manuel, etc will lead us to the playoffs...

it something people do when there are 2, 3, 4 or 5 threads on the same subject. I guess its getting a post in before the thread gets locked.

So, the Bills should just keep going after sub-par QB's which can only take the team between 6-10 and 9-7? Yeah, that's great logic. It hasn't worked for 16 years now, so it's suddenly going to work now?

The only way the Bills are going to get a Top 10 QB is being able to draft high (most likely Top 3). So, either the Bills give up multiple first round picks to do it, tank so they don't have to give up those picks, or keep with the status quo and hope scrubs like Fitz, Losman, Edwards, Manuel, etc will lead us to the playoffs...

Derek Carr was a 2nd round pick. Bridgewater was the 32nd pick in the draft. There's no reason to tank unless there's a 2nd coming of John Elway that you know about.

The whole idea of "tanking" makes absolutely no sense in the NFL. Let's just take the current Bills team as an example. Rex and Tyrod are going to be here next year no matter what happens the rest of this season. The notion that the Bills would go after a high first round draft pick in 2016 is a pipe dream. So the soonest that you could be talking about is the year after next. Let's assume the Bills have a crappy year next year. Offense and defense both stink and they win 3-4 games tops. First, Rex would be fired. The expectation is that he had the talent to make the playoffs and if he doesn't next year, he's gone. So now you're talking about a complete coaching overhaul. New systems for the players to learn and new concepts. Notwithstanding who's gone this year, even if you assumed NO ONE is gone, you would be looking at a massive sell off after next season. Mario gone, Hughes gone, Williams retires. This team would be completely gutted. So now you talk about the draft in 2017. Who's to say that you get the talent of an Andrew Luck or Cam Newton? You could just as easily end up with a Jake Locker, Sam Bradford, Christian Ponder, or Ryan Tannehill. There's a LOT of starting QB's in the NFL that are mediocre. The idea that you would effectively gut your front office and your team on both sides of the ball for a quarterback just doesn't make any sense unless you're living in a Madden video game.

The whole idea of "tanking" makes absolutely no sense in the NFL. Let's just take the current Bills team as an example. Rex and Tyrod are going to be here next year no matter what happens the rest of this season. The notion that the Bills would go after a high first round draft pick in 2016 is a pipe dream. So the soonest that you could be talking about is the year after next. Let's assume the Bills have a crappy year next year. Offense and defense both stink and they win 3-4 games tops. First, Rex would be fired. The expectation is that he had the talent to make the playoffs and if he doesn't next year, he's gone. So now you're talking about a complete coaching overhaul. New systems for the players to learn and new concepts. Notwithstanding who's gone this year, even if you assumed NO ONE is gone, you would be looking at a massive sell off after next season. Mario gone, Hughes gone, Williams retires. This team would be completely gutted. So now you talk about the draft in 2017. Who's to say that you get the talent of an Andrew Luck or Cam Newton? You could just as easily end up with a Jake Locker, Sam Bradford, Christian Ponder, or Ryan Tannehill. There's a LOT of starting QB's in the NFL that are mediocre. The idea that you would effectively gut your front office and your team on both sides of the ball for a quarterback just doesn't make any sense unless you're living in a Madden video game.

Since you mentioned Andrew Luck, do you remember how the Colts got him? By tanking the season before, that's how.

it something people do when there are 2, 3, 4 or 5 threads on the same subject. I guess its getting a post in before the thread gets locked.

Thanks!

And the Colts are now a great team! :lol:

While they suck this year, they were in the AFC Championship game last year. You mean to tell me you wouldn't love to see the Bills in that position (winning playoff games and having a shot at the Superbowl)?

given a game or two with the right outcome the Raiders could make the playoffs.

The same could have been said for the Bills last year and this year. The Bills need a great QB to topple the Patriots and the guys that have been playing QB for the Bills over the past 14 years have not been the answer, which is why Brady has a ridiculous win/loss record against us.