Should the Bills "tank" in 2017 or 2018 to get a QB?

Jerry Jabber

Should the Bills "tank" for a season a two in order to draft a franchise QB if Taylor does not workout?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills "tank" for a season a two in order to draft a franchise QB if Taylor does not workout?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether it's tank now or later. As I said in the other thread..... For who? For what?

So, the Bills should just keep going after sub-par QB's which can only take the team between 6-10 and 9-7? Yeah, that's great logic. It hasn't worked for 16 years now, so it's suddenly going to work now?

The only way the Bills are going to get a Top 10 QB is being able to draft high (most likely Top 3). So, either the Bills give up multiple first round picks to do it, tank so they don't have to give up those picks, or keep with the status quo and hope scrubs like Fitz, Losman, Edwards, Manuel, etc will lead us to the playoffs...

You didn't answer his questions of who or what... you're just convinced its the right strategy. Despite almost everyone in the front office voluntarily losing their jobs.

We already know Taylor is starting in 2016, so I doubt they will draft in the Top 10 in the 2017 draft. So if Taylor doesn't pan out next year, and if there is a QB of the caliber of Newton, Luck, P. Manning, etc.. in the 2018 draft, then the Bills should tank the 2017 season to be able to draft in the Top 5 to draft that QB. Otherwise, like Doug Whaley said, the Bills are in QB purgatory.

Tyrod Taylor can play quarterback. This team needs a franchise coaching staff. The head buffoon needs to be replaced ASAP. It still amazes me how Rex Ryan can talk and joke his way out of his demonstrated incompetence time and time again. As long as people keep drinking the Kool-Aid, Rex will be secure. Sooner or later fans will see that the Emperor has no clothes.

(I know it won't happen because Brandon, Whaley and Pegula would have to admit their mistakes!)

You didn't answer his questions of who or what... you're just convinced its the right strategy. Despite almost everyone in the front office voluntarily losing their jobs.

Ownership, management and coaches would all have to buy in to the idea. While it sucks to purposely lose for a season or two, it would reap long term success. We all have to accept the fact that the Bills will never win the division without a real franchise QB as long as Brady is the Patriots QB. While a lot of people on here hate the idea of losing on purpose, look at our draft status with finishing between 6-10 and 7-9 all these years. The Bills drafted mainly between 8 - 13, and those picks were used on RB's, CB's etc... To get an elite QB, you need to be able to draft in the Top 3. Look at the Panthers and how well they are doing now with Cam Newton, they're 13-0. Fans are kidding themselves to think that mediocre QB's can take them to the Superbowl, let alone the playoffs. After 16 years of missing the playoffs, I want to see the Bills not only go back to the playoffs, but win the Superbowl. If the Bills keep the status quo of looking for other teams castoffs or reaching for QB's in the draft (such as Losman and Manuel), then this playoff drought will continue.

Tyrod Taylor can play quarterback. This team needs a franchise coaching staff. The head buffoon needs to be replaced ASAP. It still amazes me how Rex Ryan can talk and joke his way out of his demonstrated incompetence time and time again. As long as people keep drinking the Kool-Aid, Rex will be secure. Sooner or later fans will see that the Emperor has no clothes.

(I know it won't happen because Brandon, Whaley and Pegula would have to admit their mistakes!)

We need to see Taylor lead the team from behind and also not throw 40 yards down the field on 3rd and 2.

I'm losing my faith in Wrecks Ryan and feel he's nothing more than a used car salesman.

Ownership, management and coaches would all have to buy in to the idea. While it sucks to purposely lose for a season or two, it would reap long term success. We all have to accept the fact that the Bills will never win the division without a real franchise QB as long as Brady is the Patriots QB. While a lot of people on here hate the idea of losing on purpose, look at our draft status with finishing between 6-10 and 7-9 all these years. The Bills drafted mainly between 8 - 13, and those picks were used on RB's, CB's etc... To get an elite QB, you need to be able to draft in the Top 3. Look at the Panthers and how well they are doing now with Cam Newton, they're 13-0. Fans are kidding themselves to think that mediocre QB's can take them to the Superbowl, let alone the playoffs. After 16 years of missing the playoffs, I want to see the Bills not only go back to the playoffs, but win the Superbowl. If the Bills keep the status quo of looking for other teams castoffs or reaching for QB's in the draft (such as Losman and Manuel), then this playoff drought will continue.

The question remains. For who? Where is this QB savior who will usher in the next great era of Buffalo Bills football to make this tank strategy so worthwhile? Beyond that, there's is no guarantee that the Bills will get the #1 pick when the mythical Franchise "Savior" declares for the draft.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The question remains. For who? Where is this QB savior who will usher in the next great era of Buffalo Bills football to make this tank strategy so worthwhile. Beyond that, there's is no guarantee that the Bills will get the #1 pick when the mythical Franchise "Savior" declares for the draft.

Do we know which QB's will be available in the 2018 draft yet?

I know it's a different sport, but the Sabres tanked to have a shot at two generational players, Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel, by which they took Jack Eichel. If that situation presents itself for the Bills say in the 2018 or 2019 draft, you mean to tell me it wouldn't be a smart move to tank the season before so the Bills can draft that guy, vice giving up multiple first round picks to get that QB?

Since you mentioned Andrew Luck, do you remember how the Colts got him? By tanking the season before, that's how.

Thanks!

They didn't "tank". They just sucked. They could have easily drafted the next Jamarcus Russell. Terrible argument.

While the Sabres are much improved, Jack Eichel isn't the sole reason. I believe Tyrod plays well enough to give this team a chance to win each and every week. Unlike previous years, there hasn't been one game the Bills didn't have a good chance to win in the fourth quarter. We've had a couple of "tanking" years in the past 16 non-playoff years and didn't manage to get that franchise altering player. Who's to say it would happen even if we did finish last?

Kelly was a 14th pick of the draft after they selected Tony Hunter with the 12th pick. Bills were 8-8 the year before.

They didn't "tank". They just sucked. They could have easily drafted the next Jamarcus Russell. Terrible argument.

They went from making the playoffs every year with Manning to finishing 2-14 and drafting Luck. Besides that, what the hell does Jamarcus Russell have to do with anything?

While the Sabres are much improved, Jack Eichel isn't the sole reason. I believe Tyrod plays well enough to give this team a chance to win each and every week. Unlike previous years, there hasn't been one game the Bills didn't have a good chance to win in the fourth quarter. We've had a couple of "tanking" years in the past 16 non-playoff years and didn't manage to get that franchise altering player. Who's to say it would happen even if we did finish last?

Kelly was a 14th pick of the draft after they selected Tony Hunter with the 12th pick. Bills were 8-8 the year before.

Look for the Bills had as their GM's when they finished 3-13, 5-11 and 4-12, Tom Donahoe and Boss Hogg, excuse me, Buddy Nix. Donahoe drafted Mike Williams when the Bills finished at 3-13 (colossal bust), traded up to get Losman and gave up the following years 1st round pick to Dallas (which could have been used to draft Aaron Rodgers) and Boss Hogg drafted Marcel Dareus when the Bills finished 4-12.

The Class of 83' was a deep QB draft, not all drafts are like that. Montana was a 3rd round pick and so was Russell Wilson, but that doesn't mean all QB's taken in the third round turn out to be Superbowl winning QB's, sometimes luck is involved. Sometimes, players fall in the draft for whatever reasons and that player turns out to be a dominant player, while other teams passed on him in the draft. Karlos Williams is our latest example of that. Teams passed on Gronkowski because of his previous injuries.

This thread is hilarious. Let's tank for someone in 2017 or 2018....But I don't know who! :lol:

So, what are your bright ideas on getting a franchise QB that will turn the Bills into the AFC East champs?

Look for the Bills had as their GM's when they finished 3-13, 5-11 and 4-12, Tom Donahoe and Boss Hogg, excuse me, Buddy Nix. Donahoe drafted Mike Williams when the Bills finished at 3-13 (colossal bust), traded up to get Losman and gave up the following years 1st round pick to Dallas (which could have been used to draft Aaron Rodgers) and Boss Hogg drafted Marcel Dareus when the Bills finished 4-12.

The Class of 83' was a deep QB draft, not all drafts are like that. Montana was a 3rd round pick and so was Russell Wilson, but that doesn't mean all QB's taken in the third round turn out to be Superbowl winning QB's, sometimes luck is involved. Sometimes, players fall in the draft for whatever reasons and that player turns out to be a dominant player, while other teams passed on him in the draft. Karlos Williams is our latest example of that. Teams passed on Gronkowski because of his previous injuries.

So, what are your bright ideas on getting a franchise QB that will turn the Bills into the AFC East champs?

I'm gonna call on the Franchise QB Fairy. tinker.gifBUF.png

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

They went from making the playoffs every year with Manning to finishing 2-14 and drafting Luck. Besides that, what the hell does Jamarcus Russell have to do with anything?

You sound more and more stupid with this argument as you type them. They went 2-14 with Jim Caldwell as the HC. With Luck, that became Chuck Pagano. Curtis Painter was the QB for 8 of those losses, NOT Peyton Manning. Painter was 0-8 as a starter. The two games they won were with Dan Orlovsky at QB and at the END OF THE SEASON to boot. He went 2-3 for his starts. Round off the remaining 3 starts by Kerry Collins who also lost 3 games. No Peyton Manning, get it? You can't extrapolate from the years Manning was there into a year where he didn't touch a football.

In terms of Russell, he has just as much to do with this discussion as Luck. Neither one of them will be in the 2017 or 2018 draft. You get what an analogy is, right? Guess not. It's much more likely than not that they don't have an opportunity to draft the next sure fire, can't miss QB prospect like Luck was. It's much more likely based on actual history outside of a video game that they get an average Joe like the guys I mentioned before. Jake Locker, Sam Bradford, and the like. The absolute stupidity that an entire front office is going to conspire to lose football games, and platoon their team is unbelievable. It's not like team owners are trying to continue to improve their $800m brand or anything.

I'm gonna call on the Franchise QB Fairy. tinker.gifBUF.png

That's pretty awesome. LOL. Well done!

So, you keep ranting about "who," but when I ask you what your ideas are you come back with a childish answer. Have a nice day troll!

Stop being so sensitive. In all sincerity, the Bills should continue to develop Tyrod, scout their asses off, and hope to get lucky with a QB prospect that they really like. Tanking is a silly strategy IMO especially when there is no identified Franchise caliber prospect on the horizon.

Silliest thread I have ever seen. Yes, let's tank for two seasons in the hope that some unknown QB will be our long term savior. The problem with this team has not been the play of the QB this season. It has been on the other side of the ball. The defense has been putrid. The QB has been in the top five in the league in most categories and top 10 in all.