Carucci doesn't expect any offseason changes...

YoloinOhio

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just baffled at the defense.

How do you go from destroying QBs in 2014 and then hire a "defensive genius" to not being able to touch them?

And how does it get better? We have some of the top pass rushers in the league on our team yet Rex makes them nonexistent and the solution to improve the pass rush will be get rid of them and find players that fit the almighty Rex Ryan scheme?

You might as well just get rid of Kyle, Hughes and Mario and plug in a lot cheaper guys to take their place because the results can't be much worse.

I think it's relatively straight forward. Age, Injury, Guys getting paid, attitudes about the scheme, pressure of getting paid and Rex's system early on. I'm not buying the later as a good excuse though. Coach should be able to adjust to the players.

If there are no changes in management, there won't be a change in W-L record next season.

Some fans see that. Others see what they want because to them criticism of the team is not what "real" fans do. That is, unless it becomes blatantly obvious said team is bad.

So changes in on-field personnel are irrelevant?

Firing Rex Ryan would be monumentally stupid.

Firing Rex Ryan would make the 2016 coach the fourth Bills HC since 2010. The Steelers will be on their fourth coach since 1966.

Do Bills fans not understand the correlation between continuity and consistency?

In fact, let's look at the top teams in the NFL and how far back you have to go to count four different coaching regimes. Again, with the Bills, you need only go to 2010. Green Bay ('92), New England ('91), Cincinnati ('92), Carolina, only four HC in the entire history of the franchise (dating back to '95), Denver ('95).

So yeah, let's just keep doing the one thing we HAVE been doing: cycling through coaches like toilet paper. It's never worked for us, and it's something successful teams don't do.

My brain wants to give Rex/Roman and company at least three years. Continuity is important.

My heart tells me to burn it all down.

This 1000%. I'm with yyou on continuity, but there's also a big part of me that wonders exactly what that continuity is going to mean and consist of...

Continuity of undisciplined play?

Continuity of inconsistent/safe quarterback play?

Continuity of bad tackling?

As I said, this football team and this organization will never be taken seriously until it first takes itself seriously.

The furthest this from "serious" is Rex Ryan...

This 1000%. I'm with yyou on continuity, but there's also a big part of me that wonders exactly what that continuity is going to mean and consist of...

Continuity of undisciplined play?

Continuity of inconsistent/safe quarterback play?

Continuity of bad tackling?

As I said, this football team and this organization will never be taken seriously until it first takes itself seriously.

The furthest this from "serious" is Rex Ryan...

We have schemes on both sides of the ball that, going into the season, everyone knew were extraordinarily complicated.

Bills fans need to take a step back and examine the so-called undisciplined, un-fundamental play as a product of scheme uncertainty.

By all means, that's no the end all be all for what's ailed us, but we can't just simply overlook that guys are playing hesitantly, unsure and frustrated, and that trying to execute in these complicated schemes means having your concentration compromised.

You know what helps this? CONTINUITY.

Firing Rex Ryan would make the 2016 coach the fourth Bills HC since 2010. The Steelers will be on their fourth coach since 1966.

Do Bills fans not understand the correlation between continuity and consistency?

In fact, let's look at the top teams in the NFL and how far back you have to go to count four different coaching regimes. Again, with the Bills, you need only go to 2010. Green Bay ('92), New England ('91), Cincinnati ('92), Carolina, only four HC in the entire history of the franchise (dating back to '95), Denver ('95).

So yeah, let's just keep doing the one thing we HAVE been doing: cycling through coaches like toilet paper. It's never worked for us, and it's something successful teams don't do.

I don't disagree with anything that you said. The only thing I would point out, however, is that continuity and consistency only work if you choose the right coach in the first place. Yes, the Steelers have only had three coaches since 1969, but you could also argue that they hit a home run three times in a row. All that being said, burning through coaches at this rate also isn't going to fix anything.

I would ordinarily 100% agree with you. I am just absolutely convinced we have the wrong man.

The continuity of the organization is a valid point. However, I think it's time to let Rex go. He's fallen on his sword by admitting he is the weakest link, he got outcoached at least twice and the team follows his lead and isn't very disciplined. Will Rex suddenly change his stripes next year? I doubt it. Fire him now and get on with continuity starting next year. If Rex stays, most likely we see more of the same next year and miss the playoffs. He might get a third year, but there's no reason to expect that the results will be any different. Rex doesn't seem able to make adjustments in how he coaches, Prime example is this year's defense. He seemingly refused to adjust his scheme to the talent and the defense took a huge step backwards. Get the pain over with now and move on. Continuity is only good when you have the right people in place. Rex has done nothing to indicate he is the right coach.

I don't disagree with anything that you said. The only thing I would point out, however, is that continuity and consistency only work if you choose the right coach in the first place. Yes, the Steelers have only had three coaches since 1969, but you could also argue that they hit a home run three times in a row. All that being said, burning through coaches at this rate also isn't going to fix anything.

Did they know in year one that each of those guys were home runs? I doubt it.

Was Ron Rivera a home run in year one when he went 6-10? Was he a home run in his second season when they went 7-9?

He has as many wins through the first 13 games of his fifth year, as he had in his first two years combined. And oh, by the way, the only won seven games last year. Should they have moved on this past offseason? They didn't.

I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't take away from the importance of building a system.

I would ordinarily 100% agree with you. I am just absolutely convinced we have the wrong man.

And Bills fans don't want to hear this, but I don't think we'll know that for sure until this time two years from now.

On that point, I think we'll probably have to agree to disagree.

The continuity of the organization is a valid point. However, I think it's time to let Rex go. He's fallen on his sword by admitting he is the weakest link, he got outcoached at least twice and the team follows his lead and isn't very disciplined. Will Rex suddenly change his stripes next year? I doubt it. Fire him now and get on with continuity starting next year. If Rex stays, most likely we see more of the same next year and miss the playoffs. He might get a third year, but there's no reason to expect that the results will be any different. Rex doesn't seem able to make adjustments in how he coaches, Prime example is this year's defense. He seemingly refused to adjust his scheme to the talent and the defense took a huge step backwards. Get the pain over with now and move on. Continuity is only good when you have the right people in place. Rex has done nothing to indicate he is the right coach.

See above.

Except for continuing to add personnel to align with the new schemes

It is only (some) fans who are upset to the point of calling for wholesale change after 1 season - everyone else ( FO, coaches, owners, players) is still building the team. Because the fans are the only ones who have actually endured the drought.

It is hard for fans, media, etc. to separate the drought from what is happening now. To look at this team differently than the one in 2010, 2005, and 2000 because the outcome was the same. But it is, obviously, different.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/16/vic-caruccis-3-bills-thoughts-how-warm-is-ryans-seat-how-warm-is-whaleys-seat-is-anyone-else-upset-besides-fans/

My desire to see Rex fired has nothing to do with the 15-year drought. Normally, as you may see from my posts over the years, I am quite a patient fan. I've never been one to say "blow it up" after one bad season.

But with Rex it's different. Hiring him, I suspected from the start, meant already blowing up the successful defense that Schwartz had put together with the talented players Whaley had assembled. I could see from the start that he was not Whaley's guy (though Whaley had to sign onto the choice and make the best of it) which was evident from the peculiar organizational structure with Rex and Whaley reporting separately to the Pegulas instead of Rex serving under the general manager as most other teams do.

I did not care for his personality, his arrogance, his aggressive blockheadedness, his mediocre record with the Jets. The Bills under Marone blew his team to bits in both games last year. All the orgasms that Bills fans had over his hire left me cold.

And Rex proved worse than I feared. I'd thought, well, he has great talent to work with; maybe he can maintain the defense's strength. Nope. He did not put the players into a position to succeed, instead he forced his system onto them even if their talents (like Mario's, and Dareus's, and Bradham's) did not suit the scheme. So now they have to get new players, and Dareus is going to either end up playing mediocre at nose tackle or playing great for some other team.

His game management skills are weak at best. The lack of discipline on the team is appalling. The penalties--despite hotheads like Hughes, these same players did not commit anywhere near as many last season.

It's left me furious at the Pegulas for hiring this clown, and in despair at the thought they will keep him on (and maybe fire Whaley instead). As I say, I have never had this reaction to any other coach the Bills have hired (and I've been a fan since the mid-1960s) with the possible exception of Gregg Williams, another man who was a legend in his own mind.

I don't want to blow up the roster. I want to blow up Sexy Rexy and his freakin' pickup truck and sky diving and teeth whitener so that we can get somebody running this team who has a chance of making it better.

Good luck trying to sell fans on another year of the Rex Ryan show. His defensive genius knows no bounds. All of the sychophants that say he needs to stay, all in the name of "continuity", should enjoy watching the bloviating gasbag rip apart what was once (just last year) an extremely good defensive unit.That's what we call "upheaval"- and it flies in the face of "continuity". And after this snake oil salesman guides the Bills to yet another non-playoff season in 2016, what then? There will be some who will advocate for a third year. Meanwhile,the team that fired this podophiliac is on the cusp of a playoff berth; and their defense is exponentially better without windbag Rex than it was with him. God it sucks being a Bills fan!

Exactly. Continuity was destroyed the minute they hired this clown. Continuity is not a virtue when he's already proven his incompetence, his DETRIMENTAL influence on the team and players, in a single season.

Do you consider a change in management to be a football Czar ala Polian or like Casserly wJets this year? IMO those types of people would not have gone for REX and would have advised against it. As a matter of fact, both didn't like the fit-they were right so far. And, I'm afraid they may be right long term. It is a tough situation for Pegula.

Someone needs to babysit the HC and make sure his plan fits with the GM's personnel acquisitions. Right now there's a clear disconnect, as evidenced by the QB debate. As much as I want to think Rex knows what he wants to do, I see issues matching personnel to scheme. Whaley (and Nix before him) wanted a big OL, yet they made Spiller their first round pick in 2010, who was not a between the tackles runner. Same can be said for McCoy, who is a slasher and never will be a one cut type back more suited to what the OL is. I'm not one for bureaucracy, but having an experienced football guy supervising the two (if they don't report to each other) is essential.

So changes in on-field personnel are irrelevant?

If you're house is on fire, would you prioritize getting the garbage to the curb?

Getting another guard, linebacker, or running back isn't making this team better.

You make sure the team has the right people in charge who can create an identity and find players to fit it. Frankly at this point it's pointless to talk players if the people acquiring the players aren't sure what they want to be and whether that plan is suitable to winning in the modern NFL.

Same dilemma here. Teams don't win by constantly tearing it down and rebuidling. On the other hand, if we're convinced that Rex will never take us where we want to be, I'm not sure why we would want to keep him around even a minute after the season ends.

Just prolonging the inevitable... We all know how this is going to end up

If you're house is on fire, would you prioritize getting the garbage to the curb?

Getting another guard, linebacker, or running back isn't making this team better.

You make sure the team has the right people in charge who can create an identity and find players to fit it. Frankly at this point it's pointless to talk players if the people acquiring the players aren't sure what they want to be and whether that plan is suitable to winning in the modern NFL.

That's a bad analogy, as it in no way correlates to this discussion. It's merely an abstract statement that in no way supports your previous one.

I also have no idea why you think that they aren't bringing in guys that fit the philosophy they're trying to build.

They wanted to be a run-first team, so they brought in Incognito, Shady, Karlos, and a QB that they felt could manage the game and make some plays downfield, along with a big target in Clay.

They wanted to run Rex's scheme, which is heavily based on using corners in man coverage, so they brought in Darby to play alongside Gilmore.

What it seems you're actually upset with is that the defensive players carried over from the previous regime don't fit the defensive scheme; that's not on management. That's on the coach to craft a scheme that fits his players. It seems that Rex felt that most of the guys could take to the scheme; as we've seen with the safeties and LBs, that's not the case. Thus, they're forced to cut ties with some guys and find others.

Edited by thebandit27

All I know is, someone needs to pay the price for what happened to the defense this year. Someone needs to be held accountable, and a sincere apology won't cut it.

This statement is troubling too. Since we all know there is very little chance pegs admits the mistake now, rather he will wait 2 more years to watch a few 4 or 6 win seasons, who could be the lightning rod? Thurman is Rex's puppet so he's staying put... Now we're in the Whaley or Players... Both of which would only set the team back even further

I get the continuity argument and it would be foolish/stupid to just dump Rex now.

What they need to do and have needed since forever... is to install someone at the top of the pyramid who knows how to build a winning football program from the top down. Change the thing and start over as a 'new' franchise. The Bills are broken. Had an aberration of about 6-8 years where they were good. Other than that, loser organization who needs someone to show them how to win. All the inventive ways they have lost games over the years is not a coincidence or a curse and it will keep happening.

The current course with a GM and coach who each report to the green owners and head coach who is loud, below .500, and instills a culture where players aren't accountable and can run their mouths, get stupid penalties, etc.... is doomed to fall apart worse than now. Winning in this league is done with business, not emotion. You need to be in control and do the homework during the offseason/week.

Edited by May Day 10