Neutral Zone Violation

Dragonborn10

O-lineman are now coached to jump the moment the defender does. This does not allow the defender to get back. Also often it is not the lineman directly opposite the defender that reacts.

This should not be a penalty any longer.

It should just be a play stoppage and do-over. Yes the defender is in the wrong but by not allowing them to get back it is unfair. Should be no harm no foul. This would also take away any judgement by the referees.

Interested in others thoughts.

Edited by Dragonborn10

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O-lineman are now coached to jump the moment the defender does. This does not allow the defender to get back. Also often it is not the lineman directly opposite the defender that reacts.

It should just be a play stoppage and do-over. Yes the defender is in the wrong but by not allowing them to get back it is unfair. Should be no harm no foul. This would also take away any judgement by the referees.

My buddy and I talked about this during the game too. When the RE jumps and the tackle on the opposite site of the oline jerks, that's a setup.

It's now gotten to the point where DLines can basically have false starts.

Is that because WE do it like 10 times a game?

I'd be for it if the O Line got the do over as well.

I actually like the idea. If the LE moves and the LT or the LG jumps, then it's just a do over. Based on blocking schemes you never know if the LE is going to be blocked by the RT, RG or C. So anything outside of 2 players they're lined up directly over is just a replay.

That was another stupid NFL rule change. It worked fine for decades -- defensive line can move, if they cross into the neutral zone and don't make contact they can get back before the snap.

But of course, the NFL would never want to miss the opportunity to stop the game and throw another penalty flag.

I hate this penalty. I liked it the old way. If a guy jumped and got back with out making contact, there was no penalty. I remember for a short time, they were calling a penalty on the OL if he obviously jumped after a go DL got into the neutral zone in an attempt to draw a penalty on the defense.

I wish it would go back to the old way. The OL has to stay set regardless of what the defense does.

My buddy and I talked about this during the game too. When the RE jumps and the tackle on the opposite site of the oline jerks, that's a setup.

It's now gotten to the point where DLines can basically have false starts.

Not only is it an O-lineman far away from the DL movement, it's usually an O-lineman who doesn't even make any pretense of trying to block anybody - - he just stands up and points at the distant DL guy who moved. It's beyond ridiculous the way the refs enforce the rule.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they changed the rule in the first place. I linemen were taught to ignore movement by the defense. If they didn't it was a penalty. Now it's the exact opposite. At any movement they move and get a free 5 yards. Makes no sense to me. Why did the rule need fixing in the first place?

Still & all...that was !@#$ing ridiculous yesterday.

You can't be serious?? A do-over, what is this 5th grade? The D-lineman is trying to jump the snap count. he was wrong so why shouldn't he be penalized, else he's getting an unfair advantage.

Can someone explain what rule allegedly changed? As far as I know the rule today is the same as it always was, if the D-lineman can get back without causing any movement, no flag. But if there is movement, then penalty on the D. I've often said for years whenever watching games, why doesn't the center automatically snap it whenever there is movement across the line, then it's a penalty. Looks like finally a team is getting smart and maybe is taught as soon as that guy comes across, you move so they have to call the penalty on the D. Smart coaching. You don't want a penalty, don't jump. Obviously the O-line is taking a risk by moving as the ref may swear he saw them move first which then would casue the D-line to jump and call illegal procedure rather than the correct call. But if you do that all the time whenever the D jumps, in the long run you'll probably come out ahead on the calls, but the refs will get some wrong.

That was another stupid NFL rule change. It worked fine for decades -- defensive line can move, if they cross into the neutral zone and don't make contact they can get back before the snap.

But of course, the NFL would never want to miss the opportunity to stop the game and throw another penalty flag.

I hate this penalty. I liked it the old way. If a guy jumped and got back with out making contact, there was no penalty. I remember for a short time, they were calling a penalty on the OL if he obviously jumped after a go DL got into the neutral zone in an attempt to draw a penalty on the defense.
I wish it would go back to the old way. The OL has to stay set regardless of what the defense does.

Why should the defender get to get back at all? If an OL moves are you going to campaign for no false start as long as he resets?

I agree they should go back to how it used to be, especially in this age of rules changes favoring offense. As long as no contact is made by a defender, he should be able to get back before the snap without penalty and if an offensive guy moves as a result, too bad. The onus should be on to offense to maintain concentration and remain in a set position until the snap, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

You can't be serious?? A do-over, what is this 5th grade? The D-lineman is trying to jump the snap count. he was wrong so why shouldn't he be penalized, else he's getting an unfair advantage.

Can someone explain what rule allegedly changed? As far as I know the rule today is the same as it always was, if the D-lineman can get back without causing any movement, no flag. But if there is movement, then penalty on the D. I've often said for years whenever watching games, why doesn't the center automatically snap it whenever there is movement across the line, then it's a penalty. Looks like finally a team is getting smart and maybe is taught as soon as that guy comes across, you move so they have to call the penalty on the D. Smart coaching. You don't want a penalty, don't jump. Obviously the O-line is taking a risk by moving as the ref may swear he saw them move first which then would casue the D-line to jump and call illegal procedure rather than the correct call. But if you do that all the time whenever the D jumps, in the long run you'll probably come out ahead on the calls, but the refs will get some wrong.

wow, lots of words, too many words.

How far back do you go?

I believe it was advertised as a safety issue. If the defense jumps, the offense should have a chance to brace for impact. That sort of makes sense to me. A do-over would require a whole new huddle, since the way the O Line moves could give away the play. It would also require a ref conference to decide of the penalty was egregious or not. A lose-lose situation.

I think the whole flopping and creating penalties situation is getting out of hand. Throw a long pass and get a PI penalty. If a lineman gets close to the QB, go for a roughing penalty. Graze a helmet, get a blow to the head penalty. etc.
"

Just like defenders move when any member of the offense moves and then the defense points- it kinda goes both way. If yor disciplined and watch the nose of the ball your ok and on O know the damn snap count.

What changed is, if a D-lineman 'jumped' that didn't give every offense lineman licenses to also jump and then point his finger at the DL to get a penalty.

Edited by KD in CT