Boobie Dixon's unsportsmanlike penalty

PromoTheRobot

can someone please !@#$ing explain precisely what a coach is supposed to do?

these men have been playing football for decades.

the rules didn't suddenly change when they entered the pros.

yes, they took 15 !@#$ing penalties yesterday. And yet, a fluke play on a second and 26 (that nobody is talking about enough) and a blatant pick to set up the go-ahead FG was the difference

15 penalties and the game was there to be won.

stop blaming coaches.

players make plays.

punt returners fumble.

and defensive players do things to change games.

riddle me this: when was the last time a defender changed the game in a positive way for the bills?

coaching? !@#$ no. there is no leadership among the players.

stop. blaming. the

yes, they took 15 !@#$ing penalties yesterday. And yet, a fluke play on a second and 26 (that nobody is talking about enough) and a blatant pick to set up the go-ahead FG was the difference

stop blaming coaches.

players make plays.

punt returners fumble.

riddle me this: when was the last time a defender changed the game in a positive way for the bills?

stop. blaming. the coaches.

All I know is Rex took a team that looked to be a few pieces away from being a playoff contender. The Bills went out and made some good moves and somehow we digressed. A coach who was suppose to be a defensive stud made our defense worse. It went from a defense that looked to have few holes to a defense that might need a total rebuild. If Rex wants to talk smack then he needs to back it up. 4th place D wasn't good enough for him, wonder how he feels now.... He is a buffoon!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As poetic as that sounds, I think it doesn't matter on the playing field. You need to maximize your potential the talent of your players.

Often you hear them say that Schwartz just rushed the 4 and they got there, but we had the same team and Wannstadt just rushed 4 and they didn't get there. It obviously has to do with coaching and how the scheme attacks the QB. Sometimes Rex drops Mario into coverage, but other times his blitzes are designed to spring up holes for safeties or corners. It's a different philosophy, and it doesn't maximize your most talented player.

If Mario sulks and gets upset by this role, then FINE he's not as great of a team player as you would have liked, but it doesn't mean you keep plugging away. A good coach maximizes his talents and can be adaptive.

I am a bit conflicted about this.

But I'd rather we churn players into his scheme rather than have to keep having to tweak a scheme to account for players lost to FA, etc.

I am a bit conflicted about this.

But I'd rather we churn players into his scheme rather than have to keep having to tweak a scheme to account for players lost to FA, etc.

I'm also a bit conflicted on this. Perhaps we should have considered it as a major deal-breaker prior to selecting our coach?

I'm not even sure I think Rex is all to blame. It's just very frustrating given the talent on the team and I don't want to sit through a rebuild to get him the players he thinks he needs.

All I know is Rex took a team that looked to be a few pieces away from being a playoff contender. The Bills went out and made some good moves and somehow we digressed. A coach who was suppose to be a defensive stud made our defense worse. It went from a defense that looked to have few holes to a defense that might need a total rebuild. If Rex wants to talk smack then he needs to back it up. 4th place D wasn't good enough for him, wonder how he feels now.... He is a buffoon!

I'll repeat this as many times as it takes:

the defense is not the same. both starting safeties: gone. spikes (who i fully !@#$ing understand is unemloyed): gone. the fact that he doesn't have a job now does not in any way shape or form change how much he impacted this defense last year.

also:

@ChrisTrapasso

Perspective: In 2014: #Bills D starters missed total of 13 games due to injury. In 2015 thru Week 14: #Bills D starters have missed 29 games
THIS DEFENSE IS NOT THE SAME PERSONNEL AS IT WAS IN 2014
PLEASE STOP REPEATING THIS FALLACY TO MAKE A NON-POINT

It's sort of weird watching you dance around the same point I've been making for nine years and only to find bizarre things to pick at rather than offer any kind of counter point, whatsoever.

WTF is your solution? A new 53 man roster with nothing but leaders on it? A coach plays no role in leadership at all? Is Tebow our starting QB next year? Should we get Freddy back? Can Tasker reprise his role as special teams leader and fire up the troops?

And if you've been making the same point for nine years and find yourself in a thread going around in circles with 5 or 6 different people you may want to consider the possibility that you are not communicating the point effectively.

the defense is not the same. both starting safeties: gone. spikes (who i fully !@#$ing understand is unemloyed): gone. the fact that he doesn't have a job now does not in any way shape or form change how much he impacted this defense last year.

also:

@ChrisTrapasso

Perspective: In 2014: #Bills D starters missed total of 13 games due to injury. In 2015 thru Week 14: #Bills D starters have missed 29 games

Be honest. When we lost Da'Norris Search did that make you worry that our #4 defense would suddenly be in the 20s?

Ridiculous.

BTW, I notice you haven't pointed out that we added Darby to the mix. He's been ok huh?

Be honest. When we lost Da'Norris Search did that make you worry that our #4 defense would suddenly be in the 20s?

Ridiculous.

BTW, I notice you haven't pointed out that we added Darby to the mix. He's been ok huh?

Yes. In fact, we were all pretty certain during the offseason that our safeties were dubious. Losing Williams on top of that was brutal.

Re: Darby, he was OK, yes, until the last three weeks when he's gotten beat, repeatedly.

Edited by The Big Cat

The team is undisciplined and it shows, not just in the penalty column, but in the attention to details. The mulling around before the snap, missed assignments, misaligned players. There have been a lot of occasions where the ball is snapped and a few Bills have their back to the line of scrimmage. Call it adjusting to the scheme, but these guys have been in this scheme since May now..... If you want to get into the penalties, the personal foul penalties this year are selfish penalties, to me that is a direct reflection on the culture of the team, which starts from the coaching staff. Presnap penalties - False starts, neutral zone, illegal formations, its all about maintaining details, and this team just doesn'[t seem to have it. When a team seems unfocused, under prepared, or oblivious to certain details, that to me is a coaching problem.

• On what percentage of plays does this happen? We know the answer to this, less than 5%, making it a non-issue.
  • Why does Mario get a free pass from doing his job? Nobody wants to address this.
  • How about the other nine guys on defense? That would expose your brand on distilled, over simplified non-analysis for what it really is.
  • Was Mario guarding the wide receiver that got behind the CB and S for a long TD on 2nd and 26? No, he wasn't. And on the whole, the defense played very well yesterday, but let's not let that get in they of screaming about thigns that didn't happen.

What is Mario's job Big Cat? Please, tell me.

also:

@ChrisTrapasso

http://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/676445403626115073

Lol, Spikes saw the field 30% of the time. Was he a pass rusher? No. How has his loss hurt us? Crickets.

Were your teams successful? I started on a state championship team. That year our coach one Pennsylvania coach of the year. His philosophy that year was to let the players who had been together for three years take the reigns and lead themselves. And we did.

So I ask again: were your teams successful? Did you have players that were leaders? Or were you completely at the mercy of whatever mood your coach was in on any given day? Did you have playmakers? Did big players make big plays? Or did the coaches micromanage you to success? Did you commit infractions? Were you able to recover from them by making plays? Or did you coach just keep benching players who did bonehead things? They never had a chance to redeem themselves?

Well that completely obliterates your own original point. :lol: And the one that follows! :w00t:

Were your teams successful? I started on a state championship team. That year our coach one Pennsylvania coach of the year. His philosophy that year was to let the players who had been together for three years take the reigns and lead themselves. And we did.

So I ask again: were your teams successful? Did you have players that were leaders? Or were you completely at the mercy of whatever mood your coach was in on any given day? Did you have playmakers? Did big players make big plays? Or did the coaches micromanage you to success? Did you commit infractions? Were you able to recover from them by making plays? Or did you coach just keep benching players who did bonehead things? They never had a chance to redeem themselves?

Well that completely obliterates your own original point. :lol: And the one that follows! :w00t:

Yes, my hockey team went to states. Our football team was extremely disciplined and we gelled. We didnt do silly stuff on game day- of course some penalties but not to an unmanageable level. Its all good your the man! It doesnt really matter the Bills lost, I have survived 3 wars and beat the PTSD battle. I am going to be at the Dallas game if you wanna have a beer and some laughs. Good day.

Edited by billsfan_34

Again, what is the downside to cutting a player who commits repeated dumb penalties, or egregious/critical ones? Other coaches do these things.

I would have no problem cutting Booboie Dixon, but If you are suggesting it would help the team to release Jerry Hughes...

The team is undisciplined and it shows, not just in the penalty column, but in the attention to details. The mulling around before the snap, missed assignments, misaligned players. There have been a lot of occasions where the ball is snapped and a few Bills have their back to the line of scrimmage. Call it adjusting to the scheme, but these guys have been in this scheme since May now..... If you want to get into the penalties, the personal foul penalties this year are selfish penalties, to me that is a direct reflection on the culture of the team, which starts from the coaching staff. Presnap penalties - False starts, neutral zone, illegal formations, its all about maintaining details, and this team just doesn'[t seem to have it. When a team seems unfocused, under prepared, or oblivious to certain details, that to me is a coaching problem.

Amen brother, amen.

Yes, my hockey team went to states. Our football team was extremely disciplined and we gelled. We didnt do silly stuff on game day- of course some penalties but not to an unmanageable level. Its all good your the man! It doesnt really matter the Bills lost, I have survived 3 wars and beat the PTSD battle. I am going to be at the Dallas game if you wanna have a beer and some laughs. Good day.

Would love to share a cold one, but with the playoffs more or less off the table, I think I'll entertain mom's request to watch with her in her living room!

I would have no problem cutting Booboie Dixon, but If you are suggesting it would help the team to release Jerry Hughes...

Exactly.

Rex's seeming inattention to details was my biggest concern upon his hire. But at some point the players HAVE to get on board.

What is Mario's job Big Cat? Please, tell me.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183698-do-we-blow-it-up-how-does-the-reload-look/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3806418

stop blaming coaches.

players make plays.

punt returners fumble.

So is it the players fault for being dead last in sacks? Yet last year (same players) were first?

Is it the players fault on defense, offense and special teams (same players) that they didn't lead the league in penalties but this year they do?

It's more than just blaming the players dude. Coaching plays a huge part. I think you forget that these guys are in their 20s (professional or not). 20 year olds without discipline will act lile they're playing high school football plain and simple.

stop blaming coaches.

players make plays.

punt returners fumble.

That's a cop out. These same guys didn't amass historic penalty totals last year. When guys act selfishly and hurt the team you impose consequences. You bench them, you fine them, you demote them some of them you even trade or cut if it is not reigned in. The one thing a coach should never do or be allowed to do is shrug and say "oh well" .... This guy is an undisciplined mess.

Think about this.... Marrone, Hackett, Schwartz and Orton are better than Rex, Roman, Thurman and Taylor.

Utter BS.