Boobie Dixon's unsportsmanlike penalty

PromoTheRobot

However you want to slice it. The main problem is with the coaching staff, it's extremely obvious. I've tried to look at it from both angles but you just can't. Especially because the penalties are all over the place, the personal fouls, the unsportsmanlike conducts, the false starts, everything.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a cop out. These same guys didn't amass historic penalty totals last year. When guys act selfishly and hurt the team you impose consequences. You bench them, you fine them, you demote them some of them you even trade or cut if it is not reigned in. The one thing a coach should never do or be allowed to do is shrug and say "oh well" .... This guy is an undisciplined mess.

Think about this.... Marrone, Hackett, Schwartz and Orton are better than Rex, Roman, Thurman and Taylor.

Utter BS.

So we're critiquing Rex for shrugging and saying 'oh well.' That's been his response?

I agree that comparing any coach to Bellichick is ludicrous. Coaching style? I see that as another issue entirely.

Regarding STYLE, let's compare Bellichick to Ryan on some basic points:

• Fumbles: Bellichick won't hesitate to sit (or even cut) a player who fumbles. Where do the Pats rank in number of fumbles this year? 30th. Where did they rank last year? 31st. How about the Bills this year? Second. (Last year they ranked 13th, but obviously that wasn't under Ryan. Ryan's Jets were 8th).
  • Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalties: This year, the Pats have zero (tied for last in the league). The Bills have 5 (tied for second-most in the league).
  • Punishment: Remember Malcolm Butler, the hero of Super Bowl 50? The guy who intercepted Russell Wilson's would-be game-winning pass? Earlier this year Butler's flight was canceled due to a blizzard and he was late to the team's OTAs. He called Bellichick to let him know. That wasn't good enough. Butler wasn't allowed to practice (ie compete for a roster spot) for more than a week. Last year, Darrell Revis -- Darrell FRIGGINRevis -- called Bellichick to say he'd be late to practice. Bellichick told him not to bother coming in. Rex probably would have asked him to do one pushup for each hour he was late.
  • Press Conferences: Pats players are always very matter-of-fact. They won't say anything to stir the pot or give other teams bulletin board material. They will get destroyed by Bellichick if they say anything out of line. Ask Wes Welker, who still was haunted by his old coach even when he was with Denver.

Even though he's a world-class a-hole, Bellichick never has to worry about losing his team. You don't like the way he coaches? He'll replace you with some other team's camp fodder cut. Rex Ryan? He has already -- at minimum -- lost the defensive players on this team. What's Ryan going to do about that? Absolutely nothing.

I don't think a coach needs to be a douche, but I prefer a strict disciplinarian to a "player's coach." If players have no fear of repercussions, they will be undisciplined. We see proof of this every week, most recently by a running back who rarely plays. Think he'll be punished for that? Sure -- He probably won't see a carry next week. Oh, wait...

I said that the Boobie play did not impact the game, however I believe these dumb penalties (e.g. smack talking) are a sign of lax discipline that permeates the team and affects performance.

Marrone was the harsh disciplinarian. And he was absolutely hated last year.

Rex is a good personality, and therefore a lazy coach. The good personality sells tickets, and Pegula likes that.

Hard ass Marrone couldn't sell tickets, but the penalties stopped with him. Can't have it both ways.

I agree that comparing any coach to Bellichick is ludicrous. Coaching style? I see that as another issue entirely.

Regarding STYLE, let's compare Bellichick to Ryan on some basic points:

• Fumbles: Bellichick won't hesitate to sit (or even cut) a player who fumbles. Where do the Pats rank in number of fumbles this year? 30th. Where did they rank last year? 31st. How about the Bills this year? Second. (Last year they ranked 13th, but obviously that wasn't under Ryan. Ryan's Jets were 8th).
  • Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalties: This year, the Pats have zero (tied for last in the league). The Bills have 5 (tied for second-most in the league).
  • Punishment: Remember Malcolm Butler, the hero of Super Bowl 50? The guy who intercepted Russell Wilson's would-be game-winning pass? Earlier this year Butler's flight was canceled due to a blizzard and he was late to the team's OTAs. He called Bellichick to let him know. That wasn't good enough. Butler wasn't allowed to practice (ie compete for a roster spot) for more than a week. Last year, Darrell Revis -- Darrell FRIGGINRevis -- called Bellichick to say he'd be late to practice. Bellichick told him not to bother coming in. Rex probably would have asked him to do one pushup for each hour he was late.
  • Press Conferences: Pats players are always very matter-of-fact. They won't say anything to stir the pot or give other teams bulletin board material. They will get destroyed by Bellichick if they say anything out of line. Ask Wes Welker, who still was haunted by his old coach even when he was with Denver.

Even though he's a world-class a-hole, Bellichick never has to worry about losing his team. You don't like the way he coaches? He'll replace you with some other team's camp fodder cut. Rex Ryan? He has already -- at minimum -- lost the defensive players on this team. What's Ryan going to do about that? Absolutely nothing.

I don't think a coach needs to be a douche, but I prefer a strict disciplinarian to a "player's coach." If players have no fear of repercussions, they will be undisciplined. We see proof of this every week, most recently by a running back who rarely plays. Think he'll be punished for that? Sure -- He probably won't see a carry next week. Oh, wait...

:worthy:

can someone please !@#$ing explain precisely what a coach is supposed to do?

Let me explain, since you keep asking this question. A player like Dixon is irritated and wants to do something stupid. If Belichick is his coach he checks his impulse because he has learned, down to his socks, that bad things will happen to him if he indulges himself. With a coach like Ryan no such lesson stops his impulse. What has Ryan taught him about penalties? That he will have to do push ups if he commits them? That he will get a good talking to when he gets home, young man?

Most penalties are committed unconsciously, and it's on unconscious level the coach has to get through to his players. Disciplined play has to become part of the player's on-field identity. Belicheat demands a professional identity, the Clown tolerates--and essentially encourages, I would argue--self indulgence. By asserting the players are "grown men," you're assuming that grown men are rational and will behave responsibly on their own, or even against the grain of what they're learning from their coach. But I don't think that's the case.

So what should a coach do? He should not tolerate stupid penalties. If discipline entails pulling a starter or benching him for a game or even the season, it's worth it. The Clown doesn't know or believe that, which is why the Bills will be the most penalized team in NFL history.

This offense has no identity and no rhythm. This is not 'Ground and Pound", it is "Shake and Bake" running game, good in spurts but can always get shut down. Sammy's role in the passing game has one play, go long.

The defense has weaknesses everywhere. How often is someone getting a dirty look or admonished by a teammate because they were put of position? 5 to 10 times a game. Poor tackling. No pressure. No identity.

Special teams are not consistent.

Consequences of all of this are penalties and blown assignments.

Coaches fault? Absolutely!

This team has the players but poor coaching, poor conditioning, and no leaders will leave us at 6-10 again.

Let me explain, since you keep asking this question. A player like Dixon is irritated and wants to do something stupid. If Belichick is his coach he checks his impulse because he has learned, down to his socks, that bad things will happen to him if he indulges himself. With a coach like Ryan no such lesson stops his impulse. What has Ryan taught him about penalties? That he will have to do push ups if he commits them? That he will get a good talking to when he gets home, young man?

Most penalties are committed unconsciously, and it's on unconscious level the coach has to get through to his players. Disciplined play has to become part of the player's on-field identity. Belicheat demands a professional identity, the Clown tolerates--and essentially encourages, I would argue--self indulgence. By asserting the players are "grown men," you're assuming that grown men are rational and will behave responsibly on their own, or even against the grain of what they're learning from their coach. But I don't think that's the case.

So what should a coach do? He should not tolerate stupid penalties. If discipline entails pulling a starter or benching him for a game or even the season, it's worth it. The Clown doesn't know or believe that, which is why the Bills will be the most penalized team in NFL history.

Well said, but Coach Takahashi was so good that BC just can't imagine any player on any team being football or ping pong, not having that engrained into every fiber of his being when he walks through the door.

This offense has no identity and no rhythm. This is not 'Ground and Pound", it is "Shake and Bake" running game, good in spurts but can always get shut down. Sammy's role in the passing game has one play, go long.

The defense has weaknesses everywhere. How often is someone getting a dirty look or admonished by a teammate because they were put of position? 5 to 10 times a game. Poor tackling. No pressure. No identity.

Special teams are not consistent.

Consequences of all of this are penalties and blown assignments.

Coaches fault? Absolutely!

This team has the players but poor coaching, poor conditioning, and no leaders will leave us at 6-10 again.

I'll also point out that ONCE AGAIN, we took a timeout yesterday on 1ST DOWN and the first play of the drive, coming out of a punt/TV timeout. This seems to happen at least once a game where we come out to start a drive and the entire offense is "surprised" that they are supposed to be running a play.

That is directly on Greg Roman.

edit: I will say however, with regards to defensive players being admonished by their team mates for being out of position, that 9 times out of 10 it is Duke Williams who is out of position. Dude needs to go. We will not win games where he starts. That one is on the specific player.

Edited by DrDareustein

Well said, but Coach Takahashi was so good that BC just can't imagine any player on any team being football or ping pong, not having that engrained into every fiber of his being when he walks through the door.

It wasn't funny the second third or fourth times you tried to insult me either, tough guy. How about you grow up and stop being a jerk?

Everyone is operating on the assumption that nothing happened to Boobie. Where is the evidence of this?

It wasn't funny the second third or fourth times you tried to insult me either, tough guy. How about you grow up and stop being a jerk?

It wasn't relevant that you said you lettered in 112 sports in high school therefore you knew the Bills players were undisciplined. How about you grow up and realize that other people can possibly see things that maybe you can't. Like 100 people in this thread alone.

Rex came in with a reputation for being undisciplined. I wasn't too worried about it at the time. I was wrong. It is ok to admit you're wrong once in a while. I'm not saying Rex can't change, but if he doesn't, we could get the most disciplined 53 players in the history of football in here and they would still be penalized more than they should be.

It wasn't relevant that you said you lettered in 112 sports in high school therefore you knew the Bills players were undisciplined. How about you grow up and realize that other people can possibly see things that maybe you can't. Like 100 people in this thread alone.

Rex came in with a reputation for being undisciplined. I wasn't too worried about it at the time. I was wrong. It is ok to admit you're wrong once in a while. I'm not saying Rex can't change, but if he doesn't, we could get the most disciplined 53 players in the history of football in here and they would still be penalized more than they should be.

He asked me a question. I answered it. You're being an ass.

Not really - more like you're doing what you always do, which is to present an extreme take and then bludgeon everyone who disagrees with it.

Extreme? Ha. Okay. Consider yourselves bludgeoned then. All of you. May be this should more like PPP wherein only a singular perspective exists.

I'm also a bit conflicted on this. Perhaps we should have considered it as a major deal-breaker prior to selecting our coach?

I'm not even sure I think Rex is all to blame. It's just very frustrating given the talent on the team and I don't want to sit through a rebuild to get him the players he thinks he needs.

Yes, I have wondered how the head coach interview process went and specifically with Rex. Were any of them smart enough to say "We have millions invested in our defensive line. How are you going to use them?" or, because of Rex's reputation did they assume he was going to use them properly and not try to force them into his scheme?

My guess it was likely the latter and they probably didn't even get into such details.