The NFL Has Formed a Committee to Fix the Catch Rule

26CornerBlitz

And that's the problem. Too many people think you can slice and dice life into perfect little units in HD and remove human judgement from the equation. No matter how clear the images or how many frames per second you can see, you can't.

No, I think this problem comes up more because of the review. Most of these plays are catches that are overturned because of the HD replay.

Personally I think this committee should work backwards. Get tape the the Calvin Johnson catch, the fez Bryant catch, and some others. Those should be catches, but the rules say otherwise.

Write the new rules so that those catches count.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you secure the ball it should be catch... get rid of this "complete the catch all the way through to the ground".

keep it simple, posses the ball and secure it, it's a catch.... what happens after doesn't matter.

Out of bounds? Also, what is secure... Does holding it in one hand count? What about one hand and pinned against your helmet while you fall over? Between your legs with no hands? What if both players have their hands on the ball?

Take as much opinion out of the equasion as possible. The moment a player has control of the ball and two feet down (or one elbow, knee, butt, etc) its a catch. Forget this "football move" element that is currently in place. Also, any time the ball hits the ground before a ref claims the player has completed a catch it is incomplete. It doesnt matter if the ball moves or doesnt move. Hits the ground before a ref states its a completion and its incomplete.

Do this and the only thing the refs have to decide is if control of the ball was exhibited and no other element of the rule calls for a subjective opinion.

Out of bounds? Also, what is secure... Does holding it in one hand count? What about one hand and pinned against your helmet while you fall over? Between your legs with no hands? What if both players have their hands on the ball?

There is no getting rid of some subjectivity, all they can do is eleminate as much as possible. I'd identify control as at least one hand firmly possessing the ball. Any balls pinned to helmets, legs, etc. would have to be brought into the chest or into two hands before the ball is knocked away/lost to be considered a catch. If the ball touches the ground before this happens it is incomplete.

There is never going to be a perfect system, just streamline it as much as possible and leave it at that.

What's a catch is also a fumble?

This will actually be an unintended consequence of changing the rule. If it's easier to get a catch there will be more fumbles. WRs should be careful what they ask for.

This will actually be an unintended consequence of changing the rule. If it's easier to get a catch there will be more fumbles. WRs should be careful what they ask for.

I don't think it's just WRs asking for clarification. I think it is everybody that has anything thing to with football and anyone that has an interest in it. There is no consistency with it. One play the receiver gets his hands on it but drops it before getting any type of control or taking a step or making a move and it's called a fumble but a couple drives later receiver catches the ball, tucks it so ball is secure, takes 4-5 steps, gets hit and goes to the ground with possession then rolls over and as he's getting up the corner hits the ball out of his hands. No catch.

I don't know if it's more of the referees are incompetent or the rules are that messed up but every referee crew is very inconsistent in what they call complete or incomplete. They had Mike Carey on during a review and he said that clearly wasn't a catch here's why____. The red came back and said it WAS a catch and here is why _____. Then the announcer went on and on about how the referees don't even know what is a catch.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

After further review, you did not get both feet on the ground and complete the process of becoming ill while having complete control of the illness. The ruling on the field is overturned, you're healthy.

Can that be challenged?

Yes to insurance company in whose best interest is to deny it.

Take as much opinion out of the equasion as possible. The moment a player has control of the ball and two feet down (or one elbow, knee, butt, etc) its a catch. Forget this "football move" element that is currently in place. Also, any time the ball hits the ground before a ref claims the player has completed a catch it is incomplete. It doesnt matter if the ball moves or doesnt move. Hits the ground before a ref states its a completion and its incomplete.

Do this and the only thing the refs have to decide is if control of the ball was exhibited and no other element of the rule calls for a subjective opinion.

There is no getting rid of some subjectivity, all they can do is eleminate as much as possible. I'd identify control as at least one hand firmly possessing the ball. Any balls pinned to helmets, legs, etc. would have to be brought into the chest or into two hands before the ball is knocked away/lost to be considered a catch. If the ball touches the ground before this happens it is incomplete.

There is never going to be a perfect system, just streamline it as much as possible and leave it at that.

How do you define control?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The current NFL catch rule feels like a rule put together by a committee of lawyers, which is I suspect exactly how it was done. It is too complex and has become disconnected from reality in many ways. It needs to be simplified and brought back to understandable, common sense logic. I am not sure how to do that, but if the League comes back from this and say there is no issue, then they are completely disconnected from reality.

Can't have a committee without a sub-committee. Can't have a sub-committee without a meeting. Can't have a meeting without an agenda. Agendas must be posted to the Sharepoint.

So don't look for any changes to the rule until the NFL at least announces a Sharepoint has been loaded