The NFL Has Formed a Committee to Fix the Catch Rule

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep it simple. Define possession and go from there. The committee should have several HOF wide receivers and tight ends on it, The lawyers have screwed the current rule up.

Yes, it has been made way more complicated than it needs to be. Define it black and white and move on. No grey area. Grey area is when it is opened up to MORE human error. There is always going to be human error, but, minimize it.

Take as much opinion out of the equasion as possible. The moment a player has control of the ball and two feet down (or one elbow, knee, butt, etc) its a catch. Forget this "football move" element that is currently in place. Also, any time the ball hits the ground before a ref claims the player has completed a catch it is incomplete. It doesnt matter if the ball moves or doesnt move. Hits the ground before a ref states its a completion and its incomplete.

Do this and the only thing the refs have to decide is if control of the ball was exhibited and no other element of the rule calls for a subjective opinion.

There is no getting rid of some subjectivity, all they can do is eleminate as much as possible. I'd identify control as at least one hand firmly possessing the ball. Any balls pinned to helmets, legs, etc. would have to be brought into the chest or into two hands before the ball is knocked away/lost to be considered a catch. If the ball touches the ground before this happens it is incomplete.

There is never going to be a perfect system, just streamline it as much as possible and leave it at that.

MDH- I had the exact same opinion, and then the great Bill Polian gave me something to think about. He was on late hits on NFLR a month ago, and basically stated they changed to the football move thing, because our way of thinking allows for even more fumbles. Polian was explaining that if you simply get posession of it without a football move, there is a greater opportunity for a bang bang hit and then a registered fumble. Polian was steadfast this is important to the game the player makes some type of football move. Now ross Tucker made my argument on the air stating "why is it a catch then when the WR or TE catches the ball on the sideline and drags the feet in bounds?" There is no football move, but the catch counts. Doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I'm still leaning your way and just deal with the increased fumbles. I remember 25 years ago i was so amazed how Ozzy Newsome and Andre Reed could hold onto the ball after getting absolutely jacked up the second after they catch the ball. Reminds the player to not think too far ahead, and just hold onto the ball first before you think of the glory of taking it to the house.

I'm still leaning your way and just deal with the increased fumbles.

Increased fumbles and turnovers would make the game more exciting. Goodell likes making the game more exciting (not like it wasn't exciting enough before he got his mitts on it.)

Seriously though, I am surprised they want to make it so hard to get a catch (football move, maintain process of the catch, etc.) NFL always wants more offense. Loosening up the catch rule a little would provide more offense.

I long for the days when this was ruled a catch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ad3pDqFO4 (watch at 0:28)

• 3 weeks later...

Catch = reception of the ball with one or two hands with both feet on the ground in-bounds and with control of the football.

Control of the football = At least one of the receiver's hands does not come completely free from contact with the ball before he is ruled down by contact. The receiver can use any part of his body to maintain control of the ball.

A catch in the endzone is instantaneous upon completion of a pass inside the endzone.

If a receiver catches the ball outside the endzone and crosses the endzone, it is a touchdown immediately after the ball crosses the endzone as long as the receiver maintains possession of the ball at the time it crosses the endzone.