Jay Cutler's brother-in-law found dead

truth on hold

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother-in-law...no. He would not be justified for missing a game.

It's not about his brother-in-law so much as it's about his wife. That's his wife's brother. If she is in a state of grief that requires Cutler's attention he will most definitely miss that game. Depends on where his wife is emotionally.

Edited by purple haze

Completely disagree, never heard of any company not giving time off for a brother in law. Your wife's brother, or sisters husband is always considered immediate family.

Doubt he'd actually go an miss a game, likely the funeral will be scheduled after the weekend, funerals rarely are on Sundays unless Jewish. But if it were and he wanted to and would miss the game, I'd be shocked if the Bears tried to stop him. If they did, the Bears and the NFL would be buried in bad press. Fortunately most people in this county have more sense than posters here and realize football is nothing more than a game.

If any place needs an IQ test, it's people who wish to post here.

No, because no one gets bereavement time for an in-law.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I was reading about this a few days ago when he was missing. Kristen and him didn't really even grow up together. One lived with the mother and one with the father - like in IL and CA. They lived together only a short period of time.........He was always in trouble, etc. per an uncle.

If Cutler takes off for this, it's ridiculous.

I don't think pro athletes should take off for very much, including the birth of their child. Days off practice, or regular season games in the other three sports. But, not regular season football.

I was really glad when Ben Zobrist's wife said no, you're not leaving the World Series if I go into labor. Just hit a home run!

Note from cutlers wife to her brother....

My heart is in a million pieces, Kristin, 28, wrote alongside a childhood photo of her and Michael. Mikey, I could always count on you to make me laugh. You had such a good heart and will be forever missed. Im at a loss for words but I know u are in a better place and finally at peace. I love u so much RIP.

http://pagesix.com/2015/12/10/kristin-cavallaris-brother-found-dead/

Sounds like this guy had mental health problems they were well aware of.

I think it really depends on the Bears bereavement policy. My firm grants days off for bereavement only for immediate family members. Jay will have to take PTO if the Bears are similarly minded. Does anyone know if he has any PTO left?

Probably not. It's close to the end of the year, and Jay's already taken many game days off. So, he's probably SOL and out of PTO days. Maybe he can post a really poignant hashtag, like #withyoubro, or #i'dbetherebutmybosssaidno

Seriously, who does the guy even think he is? Contemplating missing a game just because someone in his family died? So selfish. Does he not know the playoffs are on the line and nothing else matters? Oh, and it's also fantasy playoff season. He should understand that players are there for my entertainment value alone.

Dance for me, monkey. Dance!

Edited by QB Bills

No, because no one gets bereavement time for an in-law.

If your sister's husband dies, you don't get Funeral Leave? I don't bereave you either.

Completely disagree, never heard of any company not giving time off for a brother in law. Your wife's brother, or sisters husband is always considered immediate family.

Doubt he'd actually go an miss a game, likely the funeral will be scheduled after the weekend, funerals rarely are on Sundays unless Jewish. But if it were and he wanted to and would miss the game, I'd be shocked if the Bears tried to stop him. If they did, the Bears and the NFL would be buried in bad press. Fortunately most people in this county have more sense than posters here and realize football is nothing more than a game.

Your results are in. It's not looking good..

We don't know the situation. If they were really close, then family comes first, but it sounds like from what is reported neither he nor his wife was really close to the brother.

Yes, Favre played after his Dad, and the ridiculous comment about missing the birth of your first child is silly. This is a game, and you only have a couple of occasions to be there for your wife when you have a child.

I'm sure he'll play.

Its 2015, not 1950s Missitucky. Jews can have funerals on whatever day the want. Assuming they have bereavement time for in-laws or sufficient PTO, in accordance with the heretofore named Company's policies.

If he wanted to be there he could just take a private jet. You're talking a 5 hour flight maybe and skip all the lines at an airport. So fly out friday night, service st morning and back by dinner sat. He can go to team meetings sat night. It's not like he's taking a car across country.

Seriously, who does the guy even think he is? Contemplating missing a game just because someone in his family died? So selfish. Does he not know the playoffs are on the line and nothing else matters? Oh, and it's also fantasy playoff season. He should understand that players are there for my entertainment value alone.

Dance for me, monkey. Dance!

Because this is just like you missing a day of work.

Not to mention, he's being paid $15.5M this year for the fact that this job is different.

His wife's brother just died unexpectedly with cause unknown/suspicious. It should be Cutler's decision to attend and comfort his wife if they(he) feel that is the right thing to do.

To that point, would this even be a question if he wasn't a professional athlete?

+1000

People think pro sports is actually important. Fact is, it's a game.

Because this is just like you missing a day of work.

Not to mention, he's being paid $15.5M this year for the fact that this job is different.

His job is to throw an oddly shaped leather ball. I think you're slightly overvaluing Jay Cutler's profession. Guy isn't in charge of national defense.

His wife's brother just died unexpectedly with cause unknown/suspicious. It should be Cutler's decision to attend and comfort his wife if they(he) feel that is the right thing to do.

To that point, would this even be a question if he wasn't a professional athlete?

Agreed on both points

I do and most of the people I know here in Charlotte do. Reason I know is I just went through that a few Months ago and upon asking around more people than I thought have it.

I've never known anyone to get actual bereavement time for an in-law. Take your normal Paid Time Off...sure.

Edited by jeremy2020

His job is to throw an oddly shaped leather ball. I think you're slightly overvaluing Jay Cutler's profession. Guy isn't in charge of national defense.

He gets paid over $15m per year. I think you're grossly undervaluing his profession.

+1000

People think pro sports is actually important. Fact is, it's a game.

Bull ****. It's a multi-billion dollar business. It's not similar to you and your buddy playing XBOX.

I've never known anyone to get actual bereavement time for an in-law. Take your normal Paid Time Off...sure.

Wow, I must be lucky. My job considers an in-law to be immediate family, on the same level as a grandparent. We get up to 5 days paid bereavement to grieve/attend services. Personally, my brothers-in-law are like brothers to me. If one of them were to pass it would be like my own brother passing away.

I'm sure at the end of the day he'd be allowed to miss the game to be there for his wife and attend the service, if that was his choice.