Herm Edwards Rant Toward Mccoy and Murray

Protocal69

https://twitter.com/turk0219/status/674699955953643521

Classic.

Herm has to realize now that as a member of the media and society he is now part of the problem and not the solution.

I agree with Herm and pretty courageous, IMO (he is in a tough spot working for ESPN) but seems utterly disgusted with how the coverage of the game has become more or less reality TV.

I really hope that the team concept to winning becomes more of the focus again & the so-called "good for TV" approach takes a hike...I know a pretty Utopian thought indeed, smh!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Herm and pretty courageous, IMO (he is in a tough spot working for ESPN) but seems utterly disgusted with how the coverage of the game has become more or less reality TV.

I really hope that the team concept to winning becomes more of the focus again & the so-called "good for TV" approach takes a hike...I know a pretty Utopian thought indeed, smh!

This is my feelings as well. As a coach you want to feel its about the team first, but the media and the public makes it about the player 1st. So therefore a guy like Herm like you said is in a bad spot because he tries to represent both fraternities , it puts him in a contradictory predicament.

Also the media is so full of ****. They want players to open up and not give canned answers and then when they are candid and speak their mind the media throws them under the bus saying that they are putting themselves above the team. Players sometimes cannot win for losing. It so stupid as well because the NFL makes it mandatory at certain times for said players to speak to the media who is only out for the most part to cause trouble.

Edited by Protocal69

This is my feelings as well. As a coach you want to feel its about the team first, but the media and the public makes it about the player 1st. So therefore a guy like Herm like you said is in a bad spot because he tries to represent both fraternities , it puts him in a contradictory predicament.

Also the media is so full of ****. They want players to open up and not give canned answers and then when they are candid and speak their mind the media throws them under the bus saying that they are putting themselves above the team. Players sometimes cannot win for losing. It so stupid as well because the NFL makes it mandatory at certain times for said players to speak to the media who is only out for the most part to cause trouble.

Yep. It's funny because everyone should watch that interview. Shady gives an extremely candid answer to a question about whether this game is different and personal for him and how it will affect him. He said to be honest I really don't know. You never hear a star player say that. They will deny it.

I like how they try to blame Rex too. It's a huge setup and its annoying. Let's stick a mic in a guys face and ask him the same question over and over again until you get a sound byte, blow up the sound byte on national media into a type of problem that the coach won't address.

Manufactured outrage.

If you don't already you should listen to Lebatard. This is one of the main tenants of everything he does on his radio show. Entire show is a spoof on sports radio.

Which is why Players Tribune has caught on.

Someone get that guy a Zanex

Xanax - just trying to help you out.

I know, but I do agree i wish these players would just shut up and play the game. We may hate Brady or some people don't like Manning or Larry Fitz, but they keep their mouths shut. Don't you think all of those years Manning wanted to bury Brady in those big games. If McCoy doesn't like Chip Kelly, fine (the racist things was stupid as the majority of his team is African American), but don't air it out to the media. You come across insecure like it hurt his feelings he didn't think he fit into their scheme.

Keep your mouth shut, and put 150 yards on them this week. Move on. I personally don't like Kelly either and think eventually he will be run out of the league and back to college which is where he probably will shine again, and contend for a National Championship.

Which is what Shady said right off the bat in the interview and that it's not about him it's all about the win.

Sophistry. I think too much of a big deal is being made of this, but McCoy certainly didn't have to say the crap he did about not shaking Kelly's hand. That is all about him regardless of whatever qualifiers he may add.

I don't care that much at all about this tempest in a teacup, but Edwards, blowhard that he is, is not wrong.

Edited by dave mcbride

I agree with everything Herm - and the others on the video - said. It is a different game/world today, but Herm is still correct. The absolute best way to handle things is how they get handled in NE by Belichick and Brady. Get in front of the mic and cameras, talk about how much you respect the other team and coach and how tough they are to play and then go kick their collective asses. Even when playing crappy teams they find something on which to compliment their opponent. The focus is always on the team first and there is zero room for personal agendas. That's what's known as a winners mentality.

If you don't already you should listen to Lebatard. This is one of the main tenants of everything he does on his radio show. Entire show is a spoof on sports radio.

Lebretard brings sports radio into the 21st century - with all the political correctness, hyper-sensitivity, and sanctimony of the next generation.

What an **** Herm Edwards comes across as. I guess he missed the three times Shady said its not about me. I just want to win. I don't want to get too hyped up and hurt my teammates. I don't care about the statistics.

Of course Shady made it about himself when he repeatedly popped off. You don't think that he raised the intensity and profile of his conflict with Kelly when he said that he wouldn't shake his former HC's hand after the game?

McCoy is a terrific player. But he also is a self-centered diva who didn't understand and couldn't handle the cold-blooded nature of the business of football. McCoy publicly accused Chip Kelly of being a racist after he made a number of deals dispatching some players. What the foolish former Eagle halfback didn't say is that when he traded the black players he replaced them with black players, making him and his claim look silly. What was McCoy's response when Kelly tried to reach him in order to have a private conversation about the issue? The cowardly player refused to take the call.

Herm Edwards is from the old school where the individual subordinates himself to the team. This is a different generation with social media and the primacy of the individual over the team. My leanings are toward Edwards's perspective with the realization that it is a different world.

As far as I am concerned Shady McCoy is behaving like a petulant child. He needs to shut up and play!