Why is Sammy Watkins not returning punts now?

1billsfan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a valid question.

The answer is because getting hit on special teams in the NFL is different than getting hit on special teams in college and Sammy's had injuries of one thing or another almost his entire time in the NFL so far. He probably still isn't 100%. So I'm sure they're protecting him.

The hot take version of the same answer is that Sammy is softer than the examples you mentioned, Antonio Brown or DeSean Jackson or Deion Sanders. OBJ seems like a tool but he isn't afraid to take the hits that Sammy seems to shy away from. I'm not saying I want to see a WR get hit, just that you want to see the heart or courage like you'd see from Moulds, Andre Reed, even Stevie. To compare to a different position but the same level of elite talent, McCoy has shown way more heart in less time since being a Bill than Sammy. Hmmm... wait, has Shady ever returned punts? Didn't he return one against the Jets?

Maybe if/when Sammy gets and stays healthy they'll do it. Anyway I don't think having stars return kicks a bad idea.

You don't think his 6 punt returns for TDs in college is "an indication" that he might be good at it?

I was so WRONG on that! He had 6 punt returns total in college and I read it wrong. He was mainly a kick returner.

That said, I wonder if he would be great at the punt and kickoff return game and if the Bills should consider giving him a shot or two at it. He has the skill of being able to turn on a dime and that is a very good skill in returns.

I scanned the thread and yes, it is obvious. Our most dangerous offensive weapon, who has been injured 7 times in 1.5 years to put him on the most dangerous play of punt returns with full collisions makes absolutely no sense.

Remember how pedestrian we are without Watkins. We need Clay, Watkins, and McCoy out there to be dangerous. Thigpen is fine and no matte what do not even let McKelvin within 40 yards of the field on punt returns. He has singelhandedly killed several games going back to the Patriots in 2009.

I scanned the thread and yes, it is obvious. Our most dangerous offensive weapon, who has been injured 7 times in 1.5 years to put him on the most dangerous play of punt returns with full collisions makes absolutely no sense.

Remember how pedestrian we are without Watkins. We need Clay, Watkins, and McCoy out there to be dangerous. Thigpen is fine and no matte what do not even let McKelvin within 40 yards of the field on punt returns. He has singelhandedly killed several games going back to the Patriots in 2009.

What if the Bills are down 6 points with 20 seconds left and the Eagles are punting or kicking off? Would you rather Thigpen or Watkins back there? IMO there is no tomorrow if the Bills lose a game from here on out. I think the coaches need to come up with some creative ways to use their most skilled players.

this

risk/reward. he's the only elite receiver on the team.

the bigger question to me is Why is mcfumbles still on the team when he can't be trusted to return punts and is a backup db.

Definitely cut him mid season for losing his starting job. Obviously.

I don't know if Sammy returning kicks is a good idea, but I do know this:

Bills longest punt return in 2015: 27 yards (Denarius Moore)

Bills longest kickoff return in 2015: 31 yards (Thigpen)

Nothing even close through 12 games to breaking one -- really, wouldn't you expect to break one just by mistake over the course of 3/4 of a season?

Just for comparison, the rest of the division:

NE: Amedola, 82 yard punt return

NYJ: Kerley 58 yd punt return, Cromartie 54 yard k/o return

MIA: Landry 69 yd punt return, 50 yd k/o return

Time to try someone else, and I don't mean McLoser ...

Because he is the number one receiver who has been hurt already this season. You trying to kill him? Is this post written by Marrone? I say EJ returns punts.

The real question here is why is Rex Ryan not returning punts? Maybe that is why they brought in Rob Ryan.