Rumor: Browns target Urban Meyer to be next HC

Cynical

http://www.chatsports.com/cleveland-browns/a/exclusive-browns-preparing-offer-urban-meyer-biggest-coaching-contract-nfl-history-24607

Some excerpts:

"Following numerous conversations exclusive to Chat Sports over the last month with several of our most trusted sources, we have learned that the Cleveland Browns have plans to fire head coach Mike Pettine and offer Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer the largest coaching contract in NFL history. The contract would also likely include an option for a small equity ownership in the Browns' organization. The sources are close to Browns ownership and have ties to several Big Ten athletic departments."

"Our sources tell us that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam is leading the pursuit of Meyer, and that he is prepared to give Meyer full front-office control, including the future of GM Ray Farmer."

Yea, I'm not buying it.

Even if its true, Urban would be an idiot to walk into that dumpster fire.

the NFL is not quite the same as college, but if there is a coach that will turn the Browns franchise around, this is the guy.

Based on what exactly? The NFL is littered with college coaching "geniuses" who were going to revolutionize the game. Most jump back to college first chance they get.

Based on what exactly? The NFL is littered with college coaching "geniuses" who were going to revolutionize the game. Most jump back to college first chance they get.

Besides, his best buddy Bill Belicheat already ruined all the ways for Urban to cheat at the NFL level. He's better off cheating at the college level. He'll have far more success.

If there's one thing history has shown (repeatedly) it's what we can expect when college big wigs hit the pros.

Also, what are the odds Pettine comes back? Gawd I'd love to see this defense go back on the 'attack.'

Not that I truly hate what Rex has been doing. I actually think we're seeing a perfect storm of scheme finding its legs and players just not holding up their end of the bargain. One could cover up the other. Instead, they're having a staring contest to see which finds success first.

It would be like Urban Meyer to jump ship in Columbus with some as of yet unknown NCAA penalty lurking. It would also be like the Browns to hire a successful college coach who ends up setting the franchise back another five years. For those reasons I can almost see it happening. Although logically speaking I don't see it happening.

It would be like Urban Meyer to jump ship in Columbus with some as of yet unknown NCAA penalty lurking. It would also be like the Browns to hire a successful college coach who ends up setting the franchise back another five years. For those reasons I can almost see it happening. Although logically speaking I don't see it happening.

Agreed!!

Also, what are the odds Pettine comes back? Gawd I'd love to see this defense go back on the 'attack.'

I don't see this happening even if Pettine was fired. First, Rex is married to Thurman as his "yes man". Second, Rex wouldn't give up control of the defense (evident by Schwartz leaving). And lastly, as a corollary to the second reason, I can't see Pettine taking orders from Rex again.

so meyer...who only came back to coaching cause his wife let him as long as he lowered his workload and spent time with his kids...is going into a high pressure tire fire of an organization for some extra money? He's making a ton at osu and he doesn't seem like the guy to run at money.

First of all, Ohio State is the better job. And will pay him more than an NFL owner can, if it came to that. But it's a crap internet story from a couple days ago. Urban finally released a statement today saying he isn't interested in coaching anywhere other than OSU. It's crazy that a story from Chat Sports which is basically just throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks, even needs to be addressed. But that's the internet. What a time to be alive.

http://www.chatsports.com/cleveland-browns/a/exclusive-browns-preparing-offer-urban-meyer-biggest-coaching-contract-nfl-history-24607

Some excerpts:

"Following numerous conversations exclusive to Chat Sports over the last month with several of our most trusted sources, we have learned that the Cleveland Browns have plans to fire head coach Mike Pettine and offer Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer the largest coaching contract in NFL history. The contract would also likely include an option for a small equity ownership in the Browns' organization. The sources are close to Browns ownership and have ties to several Big Ten athletic departments."

"Our sources tell us that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam is leading the pursuit of Meyer, and that he is prepared to give Meyer full front-office control, including the future of GM Ray Farmer."

Yea, I'm not buying it.

Even if its true, Urban would be an idiot to walk into that dumpster fire.

There was a fake Chris Mortensen account that started the rumor. But I'll play "what if?" If Haslam thinks that Cleveland fans hate him now, luring Meyer from tOSU and taking away the only football joy they have might put them over the edge.

Regardless of the truth here, these so-called college geniuses are hardly so. Why are all the geniuses at all the big schools with glorious pasts, massive resources, huge alumni investments, and facilities that rival NFL teams? Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, etc. Not that Meyer or is bad coach per se, but when you're at Ohio State or Alabama... you have no salary cap and no limits and 90% of the recruiting is the school's name and history. All you really have to do is no f*@k it up. They're better marketers and salesman to naive college kids than anything. The college came is a true free market. Yes, there are scholarship limits but that is the only mechanism leveling the playing field. But when you trot out the history, the number of NFL players produced, and show the facilities, you're already staring at the opportunity that many schools don't get, which is a legit chance to land talent. And you get to be the super star as the coach because the players are just parttime laundry.

Now look at the NFL. You have salary cap limits, you can't replenish your roster in one recruiting class or turn it all over in about 3 years. If you don't have a QB and aren't winning now, you rarely compete for talent. The only thing making these guys take the leap has been money but now the big programs offer the money and the security, which by security I mean the name that results in talent knocking on your door. No one is knocking on the Factory of Sadness or the Ralph to come play there. Meyer would be a fool to leave such an establish place where he gets to pick from the best players in the nation every single year and will always be competitive.

I believe the best NFL coaches aren't the guys who've never played in it or coached in it. Chip Kelly is the current proof that these guys don't cut it.

Urban Meyer's dream job was Ohio State, and he has turned the program around, has won the National Championship, after also winning in FL, and he wants to go to talentless team, with no franchise QB, turmoil and upheavel with a meddling owner. In what world would he ever want that job.

Last year, Dan Quinn was the winner as he took on his first head coaching job with a franchise QB, excellent weapons in Julio Jones and even aging Roddy White. he is a defensive guru with a glaring need on defensive improvements. They are not there yet, but watch him in the next two years with drafts and free agents. that is a job Urban Meyer might consider. Then if he really wants a more balanced life, it's not in the NFL.

Lastly, Meyer will have another two solid years recruiting and this college team will compete each year with Alabama, and so on. These top guys like Saban make what NFL Head Coaches make and have a better QOL, and more stability as a coach. They also get young men who do what you tell them. They don't ahve to manage the egos of $50 mil players.

A lot of successful college HCs flame out pretty quickly at the pro level. Although pettine clearly has to go and Meyer is a worthy candidate as replacement, I feel the deal theyd have to offer him to leave OSU would be overpaying and giving too much authority given the risk. They'd be better off with a promising assistant

Edited by JTSP