Article: Comparing Tyrod to the field after 9 games

YoloinOhio

Interesting

http://buffalowins.net/buffalo-bills/one-fanns-opinion-by-rdotdeuce-stats-soup-comparing-tyrod-to-the-field-after-9-games.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=one-fanns-opinion-by-rdotdeuce-stats-soup-comparing-tyrod-to-the-field-after-9-games

As you think about Tyrod over the final __ games this season, think not with the lens of viewing him as a franchise/non franchise player; instead, is he a competent quarterback? Do I think the team has the best chance to win with him? Do I think, long-term the team should allow him to grow in the position?

Is the team doing everything it can to contribute to his success?

If you instead view him and the quarterback position as something that needs to grow, that needs patience and nurturing instead of something that can be added to water and POOF you have an insta-qb, the next time you look at Tyrod you might see a quarterback that deserves that shot.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, sure -- compared to this list of guys. I'm all for letting Tyrod develop. But the Bills better make sure that they have a competent backup for the inevitable periods of time that he will miss due to injury because of his size and style of play.

Todd Collins

Alex Van Pelt

Doug Flutie

Rob Johnson

Drew Bledsoe

J.P. Losman

Kelly Holcomb

Trent Edwards

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Brian Brohm

EJ Manuel

Thad Lewis

Jeff Tuel

Kyle Orton

I like Tyrod. He's not Brady, but who is? Give him time to improve, a line to block.... and a backup for the inevitable injuries. His style lends to play by the #2 and we need a good one. If they can jump him and become THE guy - all the better!

Yeah, sure -- compared to this list of guys. I'm all for letting Tyrod develop. But the Bills better make sure that they have a competent backup for the inevitable periods of time that he will miss due to injury because of his size and style of play.

Todd Collins

Alex Van Pelt

Doug Flutie

Rob Johnson

Drew Bledsoe

J.P. Losman

Kelly Holcomb

Trent Edwards

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Brian Brohm

EJ Manuel

Thad Lewis

Jeff Tuel

Kyle Orton

Agree, we def need to bring in a good veteran QB like Hasselbeck this off-season, that wont cost us games with turnovers. I think Tyrod can be a good NFL starter if he progresses this season, off-season, and stays healthy. Kids got guts just needs to read the field better and work on progressions. If Rex/Whaley is smart enough to draft 2 monster OLine rooks this offseason a star LB or 2, a Safety, and a QB (only if theyre good, dont just draft a QB to draft one, ex: see EJ) then 2016 is lookin good for us.

The criticism of Taylor on this website absolutely blows my mind. I have a circle of incredibly knowledgeable Bills fans friends. Every single last one of them going into the 2014 season was like, "yeah I'm all for letting EJ loose this year and giving him a shot but gun to my head, I don't think it's happening for him." Then going into this year, to a man, everyone is like, "let's call a spade a spade- EJ sucks." You would think these opinions would be uncontroversial and blatantly obvious- especially considering they were RIGHT. But somehow in the world of TBD, these were/still are? controversial thoughts.

Now fast forward to week 12 2015. These same people are saying, "hey I'm not necessarily sold on Taylor long term but man, after 9 starts, it's hard to complain. Think about our expectations at the QB position going into the season- the guy has obviously exceeded our wildest dreams. His numbers are fantastic, he doesn't make the big mistake, could he let loose a little more? Absolutely. But 9 games in, I'm encouraged by what I see." Once again, you would think that these would be uncontroversial opinions to have but in the magical world of TBD, these are borderline outspoken opinions. It is comforting knowing that once again, they are the CORRECT opinions. Am I guaranteeing that he is the long term answer? NO. But anyone who is not encouraged by his production so far needs to have their head examined. And the ultimate irony is that the majority of the people who are nitpicking Taylor's game after 9 starts are the SAME EXACT PEOPLE who were still holding out hope for you know who after 15 starts. It's beyond comical. I rest my case.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I don't think there's any debate that TT's numbers look pretty good so far for a young QB.

But before we get too excited about those numbers, let's add one more: the Bills passing offense is ranked 28th in the league. While TT has been efficient with the ball, he's hardly leading a high-powered aerial attack.

I think most of the debate about TT isn't about the numbers anyway. It's about his ceiling. Some out there are convinced he just doesn't have what it takes to get better.

They say he's too short to find open receivers. He's too slow with his progressions - or would prefer to run if the primary isn't open. He throws the ball after the receiver breaks and lacks anticipation.

Personally, I've seen enough good in Tyrod that I'd like to roll with him next season. I don't want to potentially waste a draft pick on another QB. I'd rather build up the rest of the team and give TT a great supporting cast.

Without stats or anything like that, Tyrod has exceeded my expectations so far. I really thought he was just a pure runner coming into the season but he has a pretty nice throw especially his deep ball. What he needs to improve on, is going through his reads faster, and his intermediate throws. If he does those things, he is going to be a very exciting quarterback for the future

Compare TT's first 3 games to his middle three starts and then his last 3. You'll see that he's regressed considerably over the season in most statistical categories.

Games 1-3 (vs IND, vs NE, at MIA) 58-78 74.4% 714 yards 7 TD 3 INT 9.7 yards per attempt

Games 4-6 (vs NYG, at TEN, vs MIA) 49-71 69.0% 564 yards 3 TD 1 INT 7.9 yards per attempt

Games 7-9 (at NYJ, at NE, at KC) 58-101 57.4% 682 yards 4 TD 0 INT 6.8 yards per attempt

Obviously, stats cannot tell the whole story. What is evident is that the more Taylor is asked to throw the ball the worse he gets.

There are two questions I have that are becoming answered as the season continues: 1) Why did Ozzie Newsome allow Taylor to leave as UFA for basically NFL QB minimum wage? and 2) Why after 4 NFL seasons apprenticing can Taylor not read defenses and use the middle of the field? He's not a rookie.

TT has outperformed my expectations from the QB position this season...Granted my expectations were not high...

The Defense and ST's have underachieved...Especially considering what I expected Rex to bring on D...

Add injuries (especially Taylor being out 2 games) and penalties...you get 5-6...

I think TT is the QB in 2016...I really doubt anything else will happen barring an absolute meltdown over the last 5 games... B-)

There are two questions I have that are becoming answered as the season continues: 1) Why did Ozzie Newsome allow Taylor to leave as UFA for basically NFL QB minimum wage?

Newsome didn't "allow" him to leave, they tried to get him back. Tyrod chose to leave because he wanted a chance to start. It's also why he turned down a bigger offer from Denver.

Now fast forward to week 12 2015. These same people are saying, "hey I'm not necessarily sold on Taylor long term but man, after 9 starts, it's hard to complain. Think about our expectations at the QB position going into the season- the guy has obviously exceeded our wildest dreams. His numbers are fantastic, he doesn't make the big mistake, could he let loose a little more? Absolutely. But 9 games in, I'm encouraged by what I see." Once again, you would think that these would be uncontroversial opinions to have but in the magical world of TBD, these are borderline outspoken opinions. It is comforting knowing that once again, they are the CORRECT opinions. Am I guaranteeing that he is the long term answer? NO. But anyone who is not encouraged by his production so far needs to have their head examined. And the ultimate irony is that the majority of the people who are nitpicking Taylor's game after 9 starts are the SAME EXACT PEOPLE who were still holding out hope for you know who after 15 starts. It's beyond comical. I rest my case.

I think opinion is the overwhelming consensus on this board.

To answer number 1, what was Ozzie supposed to do? He already has Flacco, an established super bowl winning QB, anybody would let Taylor walk in that position and out of respect for Taylor he gave him the opportunity to seek a team that would give him a chance as a starter.

Im still not convinced enough on Taylor to say we have our franchise QB. I'd draft one in the first or second assuming there is a top prospect there.

However, I think he's earned his spot as starter for next year.

Agree.

Agree, some good info. The other side of it too if you do get a Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc once his rookie contract expires and you have to pay him the the going rate for a franchise QB, it's hard to afford to pay for enough talent to keep around him. If you're a Brady or a Rodgers, your talent can make up for some of that, but if you're Russell Wilson, not so sure. Will be interesting to see where Seattle goes the next couple of years now that they are paying RW all this $$. Will the team stay good, IMO I think they will quickly drop back to a .500 team.

So yes that's true, my first question is what did these other QB's do after their first three games, did they also drop off. At this point there is enough film on him to know his strengths and weaknesses and game plan against him. The question is will he also improve? Likely for the remainder of this year, I'll give the edge to defenses. Next year will see what happens.

But I do think even without any improvement if you put a strong team around him, which without paying him $20mil you can afford to do, I do think you can be highly competitive and win with him.

And to your question of why did Ozzie let him go, what would you have suggested they do? Franchise him for what $15 mil to sit on the bench? Almost every QB out there in a similar situation leaves. Can you give me some names of QB's who at the end of their first signed rookie contract, playing on a team with an established starter at QB, have started say less than a handful of games with their current team, signed a new contract with that same team? Actually there may be some only because they did play a couple of games and maybe they totally sucked, so they didn't get any other offers but if that were the case would also be surprised if the team wanted to re-sign him.

Can you explain what you thought Ozzie should have done and why TT would have likely agreed to it?

Compare TT's first 3 games to his middle three starts and then his last 3. You'll see that he's regressed considerably over the season in most statistical categories.

Games 1-3 (vs IND, vs NE, at MIA) 58-78 74.4% 714 yards 7 TD 3 INT 9.7 yards per attempt

Games 4-6 (vs NYG, at TEN, vs MIA) 49-71 69.0% 564 yards 3 TD 1 INT 7.9 yards per attempt

Games 7-9 (at NYJ, at NE, at KC) 58-101 57.4% 682 yards 4 TD 0 INT 6.8 yards per attempt

Obviously, stats cannot tell the whole story. What is evident is that the more Taylor is asked to throw the ball the worse he gets.

There are two questions I have that are becoming answered as the season continues: 1) Why did Ozzie Newsome allow Taylor to leave as UFA for basically NFL QB minimum wage? and 2) Why after 4 NFL seasons apprenticing can Taylor not read defenses and use the middle of the field? He's not a rookie.

The criticism of Taylor on this website absolutely blows my mind. I have a circle of incredibly knowledgeable Bills fans friends. Every single last one of them going into the 2014 season was like, "yeah I'm all for letting EJ loose this year and giving him a shot but gun to my head, I don't think it's happening for him." Then going into this year, to a man, everyone is like, "let's call a spade a spade- EJ sucks." You would think these opinions would be uncontroversial and blatantly obvious- especially considering they were RIGHT. But somehow in the world of TBD, these were/still are? controversial thoughts.

I was a big supporter of EJ but that went away real quick after the Jags game. I now think that he’s just too mentally weak to ever become a franchise QB.

The difference between EJ and Tyrod is that Tyrod is in his fifth year. He has a different bar to clear than EJ did when he was playing regularly. By the 10th game of your fifth year you should be getting close to your prime performance level. What I’m currently seeing is a level of performance in Taylor that’s similar to Fitzpatrick which is very concerning for fans viewing his performance through that type of lens. We don’t want that middling level, we want more than that.
Having said all that, I want Tyrod Taylor to become “THE MAN” tomorrow. I think that he really needs that signature game where he grabs this team by the lapels and takes over the game with his arm and legs. If they lose tomorrow and Taylor was part of the problem in a “must win” game situation, fans will be left with the feeling that the chances Taylor is the long term answer is slim because he's been in the league for an extended time a already. Basically he’ll start being looked at as the flashy “capable but limited” Fitzpatrick QB model. We are ALL Tyrod Taylor fans tomorrow. I hope that he can seize the moment. Bills fans need to see him do that.
C’mon Tyrod, be the man tomorrow!
Edited by 1billsfan

I was a big supporter of EJ but that went away real quick after the Jags game. I now think that he’s just too mentally weak to ever become a franchise QB.

The difference between EJ and Tyrod is that Tyrod is in his fifth year. He has a different bar to clear than EJ did when he was playing regularly. By the 10th game of your fifth year you should be getting close to your prime performance level. What I’m currently seeing is a level of performance in Taylor that’s similar to Fitzpatrick which is very concerning for fans viewing his performance through that type of lens. We don’t want that middling level, we want more than that.
Having said all that, I want Tyrod Taylor to become “THE MAN” tomorrow. I think that he really needs that signature game where he grabs this team by the lapels and takes over the game with his arm and legs. If they lose tomorrow and Taylor was part of the problem in a “must win” game situation, fans will be left with the feeling that the chances Taylor is the long term answer is slim because he's been in the league for an extended time a already. Basically he’ll start being looked at as the flashy “capable but limited” Fitzpatrick QB model. We are ALL Tyrod Taylor fans tomorrow. I hope that he can cease the moment. Bills fans need to see him do that.

Uhhh yeah maybe if you have been a starter that entire time.

Having said all that, I want Tyrod Taylor to become “THE MAN” tomorrow. I think that he really needs that signature game where he grabs this team by the lapels and takes over the game with his arm and legs. If they lose tomorrow and Taylor was part of the problem in a “must win” game situation, fans will be left with the feeling that the chances Taylor is the long term answer is slim because he's been in the league for an extended time a already. Basically he’ll start being looked at as the flashy “capable but limited” Fitzpatrick QB model. We are ALL Tyrod Taylor fans tomorrow. I hope that he can cease the moment. Bills fans need to see him do that.

While I would agree with you that a Tyrod Taylor is at an advantage vs., say, a year one EJ Manuel, I think it's ridiculous to think he has hit his prime or "ceiling" after nine career starts. As I keep trying to remind people, even though he sat for a few years, Aaron Rodgers was still better in his third year as a starter than he was in his first. Does anyone really believe that if we ride this thing out that Taylor can't be better a year from now than he is right now? By talking this way- and believe me, you're not the only one- you are pretty much telling everyone that you think sitting on the bench is every bit the valuable experience as is actually playing!

And also, dude, "cease" the moment?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

While I would agree with you that a Tyrod Taylor is at an advantage vs., say, a year one EJ Manuel, I think it's ridiculous to think he has hit his prime or "ceiling" after nine career starts. As I keep trying to remind people, even though he sat for a few years, Aaron Rodgers was still better in his third year as a starter than he was in his first. Does anyone really believe that if we ride this thing out that Taylor can't be better a year from now than he is right now? By talking this way- and believe me, you're not the only one- you are pretty much telling everyone that you think sitting on the bench is every bit the valuable experience as is actually playing!

And also, dude, "cease" the moment?

Oh geez, thanks for the correction...YIKES!

I don't know, how long should we expect Tyrod to feel like he's close to his ceiling? I'm really hoping his ceiling is top 10 QB, I don't want middle of the pack. He will be back next year as the presumed starter no doubt. The question is will he be there as the established franchise QB or will he be in another battle with a free agent QB like RGIII. That's what these remaining games will tell us at least.

Edited by 1billsfan