Trump Alone at the Top

Some big Republican donors want RNC to cut ties with Trump
Some of the Republican Party’s biggest donors have called on the Republican National Committee Thursday to sever ties with presidential nominee Donald Trump in wake of the controversy surrounding claims of sexual assault and the recent hot-mic recording of him from Access Hollywood that was leaked last week.
A group of generous contributors to the GOP told The New York Times that it’s time the party stop affiliating with Trump and focus on those who represent the party’s core conservative values.
“At some point, you have to look in the mirror and recognize that you cannot possibly justify support for Trump to your children — especially your daughters,” David Humphreys, a Missouri businessman who has donated more than $2 million to the Republican party since the 2012 election, told the paper.
Bruce Kovner, a New York philanthropist and investor, had donated nearly $3 million to the party and echoed similar sentiments.
He is a dangerous demagogue completely unsuited to the responsibilities of a United States president,” he said. “Even for loyalists, there is a line beyond which the obvious moral failings of a candidate are impossible to disregard. That line has been clearly breached.”
"IF" Trump were elected how could he get anything thru Congress now that he is even alienating republicans in Congress.
Don't even start counting foreign leaders he is alienating with bizarre foreign policy.
I get voters had enough of Washington politicians , but Trump is forcing Clinton on the country.

I'd point out almost all these donors are deeply embedded in the "the establishment", investors who primarily advocate open borders and free markets, the very things Trump is campaigning against. They likely never wanted him from the beginning, and are now jumping on the bandwagon to undercut him in the hopes things can return to "normal" when Hilary is president. I think the GOP would be making a grave error in thinking things could ever go back to "normal".

FIVE THIRTY EIGHT: Senate Update: Clinton Is Surging, But Down-Ballot Democrats Are Losing Ground.

Ann Althouse comments: “It makes perfect sense to me. The more clear it seems that Clinton will win, the more important it becomes to those who worry about her that she should be offset and balanced by a Republican-led Congress. It seems really risky to empower a President Trump with a same-party Congress, but once he’s not a threat, the risk-averse among us should gravitate toward a Republican Congress to put a brake on President Clinton.”

I guess we'll see............

I would hope so. I have seen the polling data and it does show that the R's that are up this year in the swing states are doing much better than Trump. I would think that there is a legitimate fear that many voters would stay home who normally are inclined to vote R.

But without doubt the polling is not indicating that to be the case.

I would hope so. I have seen the polling data and it does show that the R's that are up this year in the swing states are doing much better than Trump. I would think that there is a legitimate fear that many voters would stay home who normally are inclined to vote R.

But without doubt the polling is not indicating that to be the case.

I don't have a link to substantiate it (imagine that :lol: )

but my gut feeling is that democrat turnout will be lower too.....................no one seems happy.

I don't have a link to substantiate it (imagine that :lol: )

but my gut feeling is that democrat turnout will be lower too.....................no one seems happy.

For sure, but I think that generally speaking, they are less disgusted with their candidate than the R's.

Also, they are bringing in the cavalry, Obama and Michelle, and they will probably help bring home some of their D's.

I know this anecdotal, but on my social media a lot of those that were die hard Bernie supporters who had detested Hillary are seeming to turn the corner and come back to Hillary. It's not so much because I see pro Hillary stuff but more of an anti Trump sentiment.

A three party system would be virtually impossible given the Constitutional construct.

So that's the part of the Constitution we should follow?

Then again, I'm also positive that those that are part of the Talk radio populist base want nothing to do with the more center righties.

So here we are.

If by "here we are" you mean in a place where you can look down from your ivory tower and neatly put people into categories like "talk radio populist base" while calling yourself an evolved centrist then we've been there since long before Trump.

So that's the part of the Constitution we should follow?

If by "here we are" you mean in a place where you can look down from your ivory tower and neatly put people into categories like "talk radio populist base" while calling yourself an evolved centrist then we've been there since long before Trump.

You know what I find funny from Trump supporters?

Hearing them knock GOP for not being conservative enough, yet throwing their support behind a candidate who openly trashes many Constitutional tenets. I know that you blame Ryan, et al for the mess that the GOP is in, but please tell me again how Trump is going to restore Constitutional checks & balances.

For sure, but I think that generally speaking, they are less disgusted with their candidate than the R's.

Also, they are bringing in the cavalry, Obama and Michelle, and they will probably help bring home some of their D's.

I know this anecdotal, but on my social media a lot of those that were die hard Bernie supporters who had detested Hillary are seeming to turn the corner and come back to Hillary. It's not so much because I see pro Hillary stuff but more of an anti Trump sentiment.

It is interesting that Michelle is the cavalry. She's killing it for the Ds.

We can quibble over characterizations but, sure.

Hearing them knock GOP for not being conservative enough, yet throwing their support behind a candidate who openly trashes many Constitutional tenets. I know that you blame Ryan, et al for the mess that the GOP is in, but please tell me again how Trump is going to restore Constitutional checks & balances.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'd still rather have him in office than the shrew, but Trump is no conservative, and he never will be.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'd still rather have him in office than the shrew, but Trump is no conservative, and he never will be.

He is an amalgamation of self-interest, narcissism and expediency. He has no true core positions other than what is best for himself.

He is an amalgamation of self-interest, narcissism and expediency. He has no true core positions other than what is best for himself.

So the only difference between Trump and Hillary is that she has a vagina.

And it's not even that big a difference, considering he's a kitty.

She is another being that has no core either. No doubt about it.

As bad as she is, she's more palatable to the public than he is. That's what I think it comes down to, that and the fact that the media is all in on destroying Trump. Then again, he makes it too easy.

I would disagree. Trump holds properties, golf resorts, etc that very likely benefit from lower labor costs from immigration, both legal and illegal. Reigning in immigration has been a core position of his from the very beginning and likely won him the nomination. Fixing that will almost certainly drive up his labor costs. Additionally he is also running on reigning in the investor class benefiting from the global economy. I would imagine Trump as a private citizen has enough money to invest in/and benefit from companies that export labor oversees, among other things. That would be a position contrary to his financial self-interest.

He is certainly "an amalgamation of self-interest, narcissism and expediency.", but to say "He has no true core positions other than what is best for himself" is silly soundbite journalism at best and disingenuous at worst. Disagree with those positions, but don't pretend they aren't there.

I never have and never will claimed Trump would do any such thing. I abhor him. I simply said the Republican establishment got what they deserved when he won the nomination. Because they did.

I would disagree. Trump holds properties, golf resorts, etc that very likely benefit from lower labor costs from immigration, both legal and illegal. Reigning in immigration has been a core position of his from the very beginning and likely won him the nomination. Fixing that will almost certainly drive up his labor costs. Additionally he is also running on reigning in the investor class benefiting from the global economy. I would imagine Trump as a private citizen has enough money to invest in/and benefit from companies that export labor oversees, among other things. That would be a position contrary to his financial self-interest.

He is certainly "an amalgamation of self-interest, narcissism and expediency.", but to say "He has no true core positions other than what is best for himself" is silly soundbite journalism at best and disingenuous at worst. Disagree with those positions, but don't pretend they aren't there.

Your view is short-sighted. Many people who have already obtained extreme wealth desire one last thing and that is power. Not to mention that his perceived wealth doesn't so much come from properties that he himself builds but on his brand.

Let us also not forget that before the elections he was for immigration reform.

We can quibble over characterizations but, sure.

If by "quibble" you meant you could throw them around without substantiation, then you've been doing it for a while. That isn't the meaning for quibble though. It actually means either "a minor argument or disagreement" or "a version of a milkshake sold at Friendly's restaurants".

If by "quibble" you meant you could throw them around without substantiation, then you've been doing it for a while. That isn't the meaning for quibble though. It actually means either "a minor argument or disagreement" or "a version of a milkshake sold at Friendly's restaurants".

If the shoe fits.

She is another being that has no core either. No doubt about it.

As bad as she is, she's more palatable to the public than he is. That's what I think it comes down to, that and the fact that the media is all in on destroying Trump. Then again, he makes it too easy.

Although I agree that he makes it too easy....FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR too easy, the media was going to be all in on destroying _____fill in the blank running against Clinton_____.

Hillary's positions move with the expedient wind for sure, but it's a leftist wind.

Trump has no orientation besides Trump.

Although I agree that he makes it too easy....FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR too easy, the media was going to be all in on destroying _____fill in the blank running against Clinton_____.

The best they came up with on Romney was his dog riding on the car so don't oversell what the media would do to castigate a person of moral fiber and mental acuity. Romney didn't lose because of a left wing conspiracy--he lost because he was up against a politician who connected better with the voters.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

Of course they were going to be biased that is a given. However, given their vociferous tenacity and outright openness of their bias is on a whole new level.