ColdPlay Gets Super Bowl 50 Halftime Performance

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is Coldplay a Good Choice for the SB 50 Halftime Show?

• Yes. I think it's a good choice
    • No. It's a terrible choice.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

Now we're talking! They're touring in Jan btw. Going to see them for the first time in Nashville can't wait.

Awesome, enjoy the show. It's like a religious experience. I've seen them three times, but not since 2008 or 2009. Unfortunately I can't make it to any of the shows coming up. Really hoping they get that new album done soon.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We saw Coldplay on the American Music Awards a couple of weeks ago. My wife was commenting that Chris Martin was dancing like a monkey. Next thing you know there were monkeys on the video screen dancing behind him. Then about half a dozen guys in monkey suits came out and danced with him. Totally freaked me out.

I voted yes even though I'm not personally a fan. After the infamous "malfunction" they had all old rockers. The Who, Stones, McCarney, Petty, Springsteen, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. Don't get me wrong, those are some of my all time favorite artists. But they're demographic, middle-aged white men, are most likely watching the Super Bowl anyway. The last few years, Madonna, Katy Perry etc, are for the demographic who typically aren't watching the Super Bowl.

Any of these Canadian acts would have been good.

Celine Dion

KD Lang

Alanus Morissette

Avril Lavigne

NickelCrack

Shania Twain

Bryan Adams

Justin Bieber

So glad they didnt give it to RUSH!

Other nominees:

Pearl Jam

Foo Fighters

Other Nominees:

Nicki Minaj

Lil Wayne

( for those of you that dont watch football, please try to find the sarcasm )

I say abolish the halftime show. Rock music is close to being officially dead. As a classic rock fan I had no problem with the "old guy" halftime shows, but soon those guys will all be gone. That leaves us with bands like Coldplay. Their brand of modern whiny soft rock is far too common imo. Totally incompatible with football. I like to call Coldplay's style of music Grey's Anatomy rock. That's where it belongs. Today's pop music, and the rubbish they call "country" are mainly targeting young women. These types of music make no sense being grouped together with football. It just doesn't fit the demographic. Unless you're a drunk guy that just wants to stare at Beyonce or Katy Perry for fifteen minutes. So at least female pop stars make more sense than Coldplay though.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

try changing your dial and stop confusing pop for rock music...listen to Foo Fighters, Jason Isbell, Hound Mouth, Punch Brothers, Avetts, Govt Mule, My Morning Jacket, Grace Potter, St. Vincent, Courtney Barnett, Gary Clark Jr., Kurt Vile, Doctor Dog, The Districts(I could go on and on)...there is a TON of good rock music out there, it all doesn't have to sound like Foreigner and Molly Hatchett....live a little....there is some great rock music going on all around you....give it a test drive...

I say abolish the halftime show. Rock music is close to being officially dead. As a classic rock fan I had no problem with the "old guy" halftime shows, but soon those guys will all be gone. That leaves us with bands like Coldplay. Their brand of modern whiny soft rock is far too common imo. Totally incompatible with football. I like to call Coldplay's style of music Grey's Anatomy rock. That's where it belongs. Today's pop music, and the rubbish they call "country" are mainly targeting young women. These types of music make no sense being grouped together with football. It just doesn't fit the demographic. Unless you're a drunk guy that just wants to stare at Beyonce or Katy Perry for fifteen minutes. So at least female pop stars make more sense than Coldplay though.

try changing your dial and stop confusing pop for rock music...listen to Foo Fighters, Jason Isbell, Hound Mouth, Punch Brothers, Avetts, Govt Mule, My Morning Jacket, Grace Potter, St. Vincent, Courtney Barnett, Gary Clark Jr., Kurt Vile, Doctor Dog, The Districts(I could go on and on)...there is a TON of good rock music out there, it all doesn't have to sound like Foreigner and Molly Hatchett....live a little....there is some great rock music going on all around you....give it a test drive...

Thats your taste, and I have a right to have mine. The Foo Fighters wouldn't have been a mad choice at all. A lot of the other acts you mentioned are talented, but I don't see them as Super Bowl Halftime material. I just think it's an event that's one of the biggest in the world. It requires a halftime show that is loud and energetic. Not many of those types of rock bands exist anymore. Jason Isbell and The Avetts are talented but do not fit the mold. None are big enough to do a halftime show either. Rock in its purest form is dead. We are left with folk music, country rock, jam bands and other varities. The difference between pop and rock may not be as simple as you think either. Pop is a word originally intended to be applied to any music that becomes popular. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

CHef Jim can help me here as i dive into the whole jam band scene going on...Umhreys, Moe, Disco Biscuits, Leftover, Widespread, String Cheese, Heavy Pets...common man, expand your world, your ears will thank you....feel free to reach out for any more recommendations...i geek out over music big time and I love sharing my thoughts

This is literally why they have this. As I stated before the "old guys" who watched the Who, Stones etc, would be watching anyway because they're football fans. The young women who don't know the difference between a touchdown and a foul pole, now have a reason to watch, even if it is just for Coldplay, Katy Perry, etc.

CHef Jim can help me here as i dive into the whole jam band scene going on...Umhreys, Moe, Disco Biscuits, Leftover, Widespread, String Cheese, Heavy Pets...common man, expand your world, your ears will thank you....feel free to reach out for any more recommendations...i geek out over music big time and I love sharing my thoughts

We only have 30 minutes.

I say abolish the halftime show.

Me too, since in addition to the usually crappy music, it's a needlessly overdone spectacle that impacts the football game by making halftime longer than it should be.

Let the marching band from the college champs perform for ten minutes at halftime then get on with the game.

Me too, since in addition to the usually crappy music, it's a needlessly overdone spectacle that impacts the football game by making halftime longer than it should be.

Let the marching band from the college champs perform for ten minutes at halftime then get on with the game.

Love the college champs marching band idea.

As to the first point, Goodell has turned football into a circus.

I still have a tick bite on my ass from the Wannee fest in March! Great jam band fest. Saw avett Bros at same venue but different festival they were great and I'd love to see them again. That one was called springfest and is more Americana.

Skynyrd* is dead. Gary Rossington, and Ronnie's brother's tribute band is one of the lamest things I've ever seen live. The epitome of "I'm just here so I can go through the motions and collect my dead brother's check." Sad really.

Couldn't disagree more. I saw Skynyrd live at Jacksonville Coliseum in the early seventies with Charlie Daniels Band as opening act. Ronnie Van Zant was so drunk he passed out on stage in the middle of the set. Just saw the current version in August and they totally rocked. Way better show than the original version. These guys have been together way longer and they are way tighter musically than the original version.

The problem with the college marching band idea is the football team may be great but their band could suck donkey nuggets. Get a good marching band and that's cool.

Anyone klisten to Cross Canadian Ragweed? Too bad they broke up - they would be the perfect halftime show band. Reckless Kelly is another good one.