Investigation of referees

major

I'm usually not one to blame the refs; however, the past few weeks of NFL officiating has been atrocious. So many games have been decided by phantom calls, or just extreme ignorance. I may hate the pats, but I saw calls tonight against them that were fishy. Is the league hiring low level entry positions for refs or is there something else going on here?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are definitely calls that are being made that are weak or frivolous that keep drives going when the offense should have punted. Have been seeing the same thing in college.

I wouldn't be surprised if the refs are given "orders" to help certain teams win. Maybe it's from the League or Mafia or maybe both, who knows, but something isn't right.

Yeah the refs suck. The rule book needs scaled down big time and it's ridiculous they don't have full time refs. But I don't want to hear about the refs in the Pats/Bronco game. Gronk clearly pushed off. I've seen way worse holding calls than the one in the end zone that negated a sack and led to a TD. And the clock run off was after the Bronco injury was correct according to the rules. It's amazing that one game the Pats don't get all calls go there way that it's even a discussion.

I suspect it's less about crummy refs and more about crummy rule implementation from the league. If the league decided they'd rather see on the side of letting players play rather than on the side of flagging unnecessary roughness, PI, etc. then that's what you'd see.

At the same time, there is the occasional call (like the phantom PI on Robey in London) where I think about that NBA ref who got caught years ago shaving points and I wonder if there aren't some guys on the take. I don't think there's any league wide conspiracy, but I don't think it would be the craziest thing if we found out that some big sports-betting operations had a couple of refs on the payroll. There's a lot of money in it, and a phantom call at the right time can swing a lot of money one way or the other.

I'm usually not one to blame the refs; however, the past few weeks of NFL officiating has been atrocious. So many games have been decided by phantom calls, or just extreme ignorance. I may hate the pats, but I saw calls tonight against them that were fishy. Is the league hiring low level entry positions for refs or is there something else going on here?

A friend said he saw the Fox pre-game show and they talked to one of the head officials about the bad calls. He said there are 17 new officials this season. He also admitted that there have been a lot of incorrect calls on the field. They replaced the older referees to save money. These new guys don't have to have a specific amount of experience.

Kind of makes sense now.

The refs are llike baseball years ago. The phantom step on 2nd base on a double play, the strike zone gradually moved lower and outside to where it became a joke. The catch rule has never been the same since Megatron got robbed on that EZ touchdown. Im over 50, and can easily say I like what was called a catch when i was younger. Now nobody can really explain it to you where it makes sense. And you cant have different rules for different players. This QB will get the roughing call this QB wont, this DB with get the PI while another with a better rep wont. With only 16 games some of these calls can be season altering.

A friend said he saw the Fox pre-game show and they talked to one of the head officials about the bad calls. He said there are 17 new officials this season. He also admitted that there have been a lot of incorrect calls on the field. They replaced the older referees to save money. These new guys don't have to have a specific amount of experience.

Kind of makes sense now.

Save money?!?!?!?! this is a billion dollar industry and there worried about a few bucks!!!!! The greed of this league is astounding.

They seriously need to be full time professionals, just like everybody else involved in football. Refs should go on strike until they are made full time (besides it was fun watching the replacements actually let the guys play unlike this over-officiated crap we have today)

Kind of makes sense now.

So....back to the scabs of 2 years ago? Huh!

The refs are llike baseball years ago. The phantom step on 2nd base on a double play, the strike zone gradually moved lower and outside to where it became a joke. The catch rule has never been the same since Megatron got robbed on that EZ touchdown. Im over 50, and can easily say I like what was called a catch when i was younger. Now nobody can really explain it to you where it makes sense. And you cant have different rules for different players. This QB will get the roughing call this QB wont, this DB with get the PI while another with a better rep wont. With only 16 games some of these calls can be season altering.

Pretty much now like the NBA with rules, which is a horrible thing imo, because the NBA became unwatchable for me a while ago.

I would take my chances with those guys over what the league has turned into now

The scabs made the big blunder in the SEA/GB game, but other than that they were absolutely no worse than the regular refs. The reason many were angry was because the calls were actually evenly distributed--the reputation calls for high profile players and teams weren't happening.

Kind of makes sense now.

The NFL replaced good refs to save money? I seriously doubt that.

This league has hundreds of millions to burn, a bumbling commish, a bunch of off the field felons, players appealing to federal courts, and now you're saying they thought it would make sense to hire cheaper refs.

No.

They did stink up the Bills and Pats games yesterday, thats for sure. I can see missing the Maclin ground ball call, but the Hogan thing was unreal. Like not even remotely close.

The Chung holding call in the endzone on the Branch sack cost the Pats the game. Very mild holding at best.

They should scrap the taunting penalty, and change the "receiver must become a runner" when the ball is caught in the end zone for a catch to be a "catch". Those are ticky tacky bs penalties. Offensive holding should be 5 yards not 10. And if the offense fumbles the ball out of the end zone, they should get the ball back at the 20 - unless it happened on 4th down. In that case the ball would go over to the other team - but at the 5 yard line - not the 20. [#nanker4nflcommish]