Investigation of referees

major

They should scrap the taunting penalty, and change the "receiver must become a runner" when the ball is caught in the end zone for a catch to be a "catch". Those are ticky tacky bs penalties. Offensive holding should be 5 yards not 10. And if the offense fumbles the ball out of the end zone, they should get the ball back at the 20 - unless it happened on 4th down. In that case the ball would go over to the other team - but at the 5 yard line - not the 20. [#nanker4nflcommish]

Illegal contact/def holding should NOT be automatic first down.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in as someone who feels that the whole system needs an overhaul. The technology and money is there, Im confident in saying that.

The challenge will be implementing it in all 31 stadiums, getting a consistent and simple rule book, and finding full time, professional refs who know the rules inside and out PLUS know how to utilize the technological part of it as well.

60yr old retirees arent cutting it anymore.

The refs are llike baseball years ago. The phantom step on 2nd base on a double play, the strike zone gradually moved lower and outside to where it became a joke. The catch rule has never been the same since Megatron got robbed on that EZ touchdown. Im over 50, and can easily say I like what was called a catch when i was younger. Now nobody can really explain it to you where it makes sense. And you cant have different rules for different players. This QB will get the roughing call this QB wont, this DB with get the PI while another with a better rep wont. With only 16 games some of these calls can be season altering.

I don"t know why they ever changed what a catch was...Hell one of the NFL greatest Super Bowl Highlights they show every year is the 1978 Super Bowl of Butch Johnson's diving catch against the Broncos for a TD...LOL....Not even close to be considered a catch nowadays...Y change the rule??? Did it make the game better? No it made it worse...And why the HELL should a team be penalized for a bad call by a ref and have to challenge a play....If its a catch change it to a catch if not leave it alone....

Refs just flat out suck this year. All over. There is no accountability, unless you count not getting to officiate playoff/super-bowl as "accountability." I've never seen an announcement with a ref getting fined, suspended, etc. It's terrible.

I'm not given to superlatives, but I have to agree. I've thought the refereeing has been worst this year than I've ever seen before in 40+ years of watching football. Many of the missed calls have been both obvious mistakes and game-changers.

It makes you wonder what's going wrong in training and/or selection and/or accountability.

Pretty much now like the NBA with rules, which is a horrible thing imo, because the NBA became unwatchable for me a while ago.

The scabs made the big blunder in the SEA/GB game, but other than that they were absolutely no worse than the regular refs. The reason many were angry was because the calls were actually evenly distributed--the reputation calls for high profile players and teams weren't happening.

Agree 100%. I also still find it interesting that there will forever be a very suspicious anamoly with the scab refs, the pats* had a losing record under them.

Does anyone know what kind of training the refs go through at the start of a season? Is there any kind of camp where they go and explain to everyone what each subjective rule means and how to interpret it? It would be less bad if they were all screwing up the same way all the time, instead of what appears to be a personal interpretation by each guy. The league could bring in current or retired players, or college players, and have them run through plays where one of the guys is supposed to break a rule, and all the refs in training would make the call.

Do the refs get together once a week by Skype or similar technology, to go over all the bad calls, to discuss trends the league has noticed, etc? I would really like to be a fly on the wall if Gene Steratore had to explain to his peers, by Skype or in person, how the heck he made up a different rule about where to place the ball after an inadvertent whistle. This would be an uncomfortable situation for the guys who had made mistakes, but when you consider what's at stake for players and coaches, who could miss out on playoffs or get fired, I have little sympathy.

So....back to the scabs of 2 years ago? Huh!

The replacement refs were much better. Maybe not on each specific call but over all the games were more fair.

People were just more likely to blame the replacement refs than they were the real refs.

They also need to have a video review of the calls. Catches are reviewable but not PI? They both affect the outcome of the game the same

Illegal contact/def holding should NOT be automatic first down.

Completely agree

Are you saying it's correct because you've read the rule book or because someone who likely knows about as much as the announcers told them it was correct per the rules. I'll wait until around mid week when the NFL issues there weekly "mistakes report" until we know it truly was the correct call.

Not at all, they interviewed Dean Blandino after the game and he said the refs were correct in keeping the clock running. He did say the refs should give coaches a heads up about this rule and that is what they would review, how it was communicated to the coaches.

Once again...refs blow it in the Cleveland-Baltimore game...

Baltimore player that jumped into the neutral zone was clearly still in the neutral zone at the snap with his whole hand and part of his arm...then it appears Hill stepped out of bounds on the return...

But...play should have never happened because as soon as the Ravens player jumped into the neutral zone, the Browns should have reacted like they are coached to do and gotten an easy 5 yard penalty for a neutral zone infraction...so its STILL on the Browns for not executing something so simple.

Edited by matter2003

When NFL players screw up repeatedly, they are cut. When NFL officials screw up repeatedly, they are "reassigned."

Expect garbage officiating until the latter changes.

not wholly accurate; the bottom 10% of graded officials are dumped every year. Does not explain the crappy officiating everywhere.

As the smartest man in the room, what do you propose the NFL do about the situation, if anything?

This was discussed in one of the many ref threads last week.

Other sports with "full time refs" have no better results than they do in the NFL. In fact, there is no such thing as "full time" in MLB, NBA, NHL. They each cover a few games a week tops. They don't do anything officially related to their jobs between games. In the off season many take other jobs to supplement income. They don't "go to the office" to "practice" their craft. So assuming there would be a different outcome with full time NFL refs makes no sense.

What to do? I and many others have already stated this: change the rule book. Pretty simple. If the rules become more numerous and complex, there will be more judgment calls and therefore more opportunity for human error. No amount or "training" or practice will change this ever.

Eliminate rules that don't affect safety or the competitiveness of the game. Change the penalties for crap rules like holding and neutral zone infractions or hands to the face, etc. Make a catch any instance when a receiver has 2 hands on the ball and 2 feet on the ground. There are many more you can probably think of.

The refs of today are no worse than the refs of 20 years ago. The difference is that back then, there was far less interpretation for them to do. Also, we at home didn't have 8 different angles of super slow mo instant replay to enjoy after every single play. You never saw all the bad calls back them.

after the $^@% show on MNF and this guy comes out with a statement like this, I am seriously getting suspicious something is going on

Roger Goodell: Our officials do an extraordinary job

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000593138/article/roger-goodell-our-officials-do-an-extraordinary-job

And why, why do the worst calls always come late in close games?

Two Ref's threads so I'll post this twice.

Too little too late Roger

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14276706/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-says-league-look-improve-rule-defining-catch-is

Roger Goodell: 'We want to find a better solution' for defining a catch

after the $^@% show on MNF and this guy comes out with a statement like this, I am seriously getting suspicious something is going on

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000593138/article/roger-goodell-our-officials-do-an-extraordinary-job

And why, why do the worst calls always come late in close games?

so why the story I just posted?

not wholly accurate; the bottom 10% of graded officials are dumped every year. Does not explain the crappy officiating everywhere.

Could you please post a link to your source?

I believe it does explain crappy officiating everywhere. If you're not afraid of losing your job, you don't care enough about it to excel.