Ownership must address attention to detail

BADOLBILZ

Evidently you stopped reading there.

But think of it this way: schemes have much wide windows than players. Talent is fleeting. Rex has had success when players run his scheme and run it right. That success dates back to when most of our players were in high school.

I agree about how his defense will perform with his players, but because of his shortcomings as a head coach, I don't think it will matter. I just don't believe you can run a team the way he runs it and be successful long term as a head coach. So no matter how well his new players perform, I still think he'll be out and we'll be looking to replace them again.

Eh, I'm really not even suggesting anything other than my own worry. Despite my low expectations for him, I don't really condone firing a guy after one year. In the meantime, there's nothing to do but try to get him the personnel to fit system.

As is often the case with "player's coaches" Rex Ryan teams have long struggled with attention to detail.

It shows up on the field and the sidelines.....or even in the coaches booth like today.

Over and over.

Mental errors, physical errors and execution problems in clutch situations, communication issues.........

Part of the reason players love Rex is because he doesn't MAKE them work hard on the mundane aspects of preparation("treats us like men").

That costs his teams on gameday.

Contrast that to the Patriots......who manage to avoid these issues with the same amount of practice time etc..

Which is why ownership needs to dictate a focus on attention to detail to him.

If he wants to be the understanding father figure drawing scrutiny away from his players.......that's fine.......he can still be that.......but someone has to be in charge of making sure that this team is always getting better.

So very, very true... B-)

If I am Terry Pugula I am not putting up with this nonsense anymore. I would suspend Rex for 1 week he would have to stay home away from the stadium. Roman would run the team. This is a Billion dollar franchise. If there is not a HD TV in the Bills both with the CBS feed then this is a problem. I don't care if you got to send a equipment manager down to the local Walmart in Kanas City and buy a TV for use in the booth. Don't depend on or count on the local team to put replays up. This is not that hard and it's should be a priority. These games are too important to be working in the blind. If there was someone in the booth and they did have the CBS feed and did not tell Rex then this guy should be fired. There needs to be someone in the booth or someone, some where with direct communication to Rex to let him know what is going on and when to challenge. If I can sit at home and see this and know what the right thing to do is. Then it is really inexcusable that the Bills can't do this. The person who is watching the local CBS feed like we are at home will have a important job and this should be his only job. Do you think the patriots leave it to chance that the local team will give them the replays. So if I'm Terry Pugula I want a investigation on what really happened.

We are losing games because of game mismanagement that can easily be corrected.

Rex should be suspended to make him learn a lesson on his total cluster he is running. Maybe a suspension will make him realize that he needs to do a better job. Other things that bother me concerning game preparation are not practicing in practice each week how to hurry to the line of scrimmage to get a play off that was close and it might get a red flag by the other coach. This is about attention to detail also Why Tyrod has to get plays from the sidelines and wait for them while there in a 2 minute drill. Again WTF are we doing all week during practice. Is Tyrod incapable

of calling his own plays and running the offense with out getting plays from the side lines. Again this is called game preparation. I see so much that is wrong and it all starts with Rex. Maybe a 1 game suspension with pay and Rex takes a step back from it all will make him realize he can do a better job. These things I just mentioned need to be brought up and discussed with Rex and to make him realize he can do a better job. Some times being called out and suspended can have a positive effect. I like Rex the man, but what I don't like is what he is allowing to happen. If I'm Terry Pugula that's what I would be doing on this Monday morning.

I got the point the first two times I read this in two other threads where you posted it. That is bad board etiquette.

Rex comes off as a more boisterous Wade Phillips. He can coordinate a defense, but as a HC he's had periods of success and then loses games with that lack of attention to detail at crucial moments.

I work with a Jets fan who told me that while Rex has a good idea of what he wants to do, but left unsupervised he will mess things up in personnel and on game day. And he's holding true to that.

Edited by BillsVet

Which only us a case against his supposed genius in the defensive department. Schwartz came in for Pettine and our overall D got better. Ryan was supposed to do more with less but in fact is doing less with more. How is he a genius?

This argument in Schwartz's favor assumes--in some part--that Pettine was a good d coordinator.

He generated lots of sacks and picks. But that was about it.

This argument in Schwartz's favor assumes--in some part--that Pettine was a good d coordinator.

He generated lots of sacks and picks. But that was about it.

Pettine put on a show, but the run D was horrific...better than the previous D Coordinators since Wade (not saying much)

Schwartz's scheme fit our personnel and it worked but it was a one-trick pony...

Pettine put on a show, but the run D was horrific...better than the previous D Coordinators since Wade (not saying much)

Schwartz's scheme fit our personnel and it worked but it was a one-trick pony...

how is it a one-trick pony? Are you saying he would not have been as successful this year?

On a related note, I really hoped that they would hire Schwartz after Maroon left....pine.....

Rex leaves-- look at what the Jets are doing. He comes here and takes a very good "D" and look what happens. There is a picture here. His coaching has been horrible and he sounds like a kid making all kinds of excuses for his mistakes. Just very disappointing. Terry bought a bill of goods that was defective.

how is it a one-trick pony? Are you saying he would not have been as successful this year?

On a related note, I really hoped that they would hire Schwartz after Maroon left....pine.....

The wide-9 is all he really ran and is predicated on a great pass rushing front 4. Hard to consistently find and field a great DL (cost $100 million) and impacts other areas of your team $$ wise (WR, CB & QB). Rex's system is a bit more cap room friendly and easier to find players for.

I am certain our Defense would have been much better with Schwartz this year. Could you imagine that D with Hue Jackson? Would probably be 6-2....

I would have hired Schwartz as HC myself...

The wide-9 is all he really ran and is predicated on a great pass rushing front 4. Hard to consistently find and field a great DL (cost $100 million) and impacts other areas of your team $$ wise (WR, CB & QB). Rex's system is a bit more cap room friendly and easier to find players for.

I am certain our Defense would have been much better with Schwartz this year. Could you imagine that D with Hue Jackson? Would probably be 6-2....

I would have hired Schwartz as HC myself...

isn't Jackson an OC?

We have bad red flags for injuries and Doug Whaley sat on it. You can blame Rex for being a players coach and he is. But, at the same time what do you do with Whaley whose only real career is refilling coffee pots, drafting a fluke hall of famer, and having no insight into how manage before the trade deadline and free agency signings?

We have bad red flags for injuries and Doug Whaley sat on it. You can blame Rex for being a players coach and he is. But, at the same time what do you do with Whaley whose only real career is refilling coffee pots, drafting a fluke hall of famer, and having no insight into how manage before the trade deadline and free agency signings?

After posting the same gibberish in at least 5 other threads, how is your grand treatise on Whaley still such an incomprehensible, abortion of a post?

I am ashamed to say that I was a big fan of the Rex hire. I now believe he should be one-and-done, for the reasons outlined by the OP, plus the fact that he has managed to turn the Bills defense from one of the most fearsome in the league to a clear liability in one season. As we have seen this year, the difference between winning and losing in the NFL is often the width of a razor. Sometimes the difference can be a blown call by a referee, but most often it comes down to coaching--poor gameday decisions (lousy use of the challenge flag, punting from inside the other team's territory, failing to utilize the most lethal offensive weapon at your disposal) or general unpreparedness that leads to things like burning unnecessary timeouts, illegal formation penalties, or mindless personal fouls. The Bills have had more than their share of all these things this year and as a result, a team that should be 8-3, is instead 5-6. I don't think any team (even the Patriots with Brady) can afford the type of gaffes the Ryan-led Bills have regularly displayed this year. Given his history, there is simply no reason to believe that things will change under Ryan. He needs to go.

Did you really think Rex was going to come in here and run Schwartz's scheme?

I think most of us thought he was going to run Pettine's scheme (supposedly Rex's own), but better. Instead, we played like Smith has herpes, nobody wanted to touch him with a 10 foot pole. Nobody expected that.

The sad truth is, we win never, never win a championship with Rex. He's just not a SB worthy coach. Even sadder is he's going to start dictating the roster after this season's done.

Edited by Saint Doug

As is often the case with "player's coaches" Rex Ryan teams have long struggled with attention to detail.

It shows up on the field and the sidelines.....or even in the coaches booth like today.

Over and over.

Mental errors, physical errors and execution problems in clutch situations, communication issues.........

Part of the reason players love Rex is because he doesn't MAKE them work hard on the mundane aspects of preparation("treats us like men").

That costs his teams on gameday.

Contrast that to the Patriots......who manage to avoid these issues with the same amount of practice time etc..

Which is why ownership needs to dictate a focus on attention to detail to him.

If he wants to be the understanding father figure drawing scrutiny away from his players.......that's fine.......he can still be that.......but someone has to be in charge of making sure that this team is always getting better.

I'll agree across the board