The Brady Rule

folz

I know, another topic about the officiating, sorry...but I just wanted to give my impression of the inadvertent whistle

play, because it is driving me nuts that everyone (since Mike Tirico first said it), keeps saying the Pats got robbed

of a touchdown on that play.

I think this all comes down to the Brady Rule, you know, the one where he gets extra protection from the zebras,

but this time it backfired on them.

Brady was fading to the sidelines pursued by Corbin Bryant. If the whistle doesn't blow, Brady may have still got

the ball off, but he was going to take a shot from Bryant. The ref blew the whistle so Tommy didn't get crushed or because

he assumed Brady was just going to step out rather than take the hit. If Bryant doesn't let up at the whistle, Brady

might not have gotten it off, or Bryant might have tipped it, or distracted Brady enough so that the ball isn't on target.

So, if the whistle doesn't blow, the pass may not have been completed.

Secondly, Darby is chasing Amendola everywhere. Amendola might have got a step on him on his last spin upfield, but

Darby also lets up at the whistle. Remember the whistle blew while the ball was still in the air, before reaching Darby and

Amendola. So, if Darby doesn't let up at the whistle, maybe he breaks up that play. Even if not, he is in position to make

the tackle if he doesn't pull up at the whistle. So, even if everything else went right for the Pats, Brady does get the ball off cleanly,

no whistle, and Amendola makes the grab, they still would have had only a first down, not a TD.

The ref blew the whistle to protect Brady. Then when he sees Amendola catch the ball, the ref goes "Oh sh%t."

The refs huddle for an eternity and without taking into account that the Bills stopped playing at the whistle, or that the

rule states it should be a do over because the whistle blew before the catch, they decide they owe the Pats something,

and give them 30 free yards. The ref who blew the whistle then comes up with the excuse of coach interference to make

his mistake ("protect Brady") look like it was somehow rex's fault, so the ref can try to save face. If you see the sideline

video, you can see the ref is blowing the whistle so Brady doesn't get hit rather than because Rex is in his way.

Sick of hearing how the Pats got robbed of a touchdown. The Bills were the only ones wronged on that play.

My two cents.

I know, another topic about the officiating, sorry...but I just wanted to give my impression of the inadvertent whistle

play, because it is driving me nuts that everyone (since Mike Tirico first said it), keeps saying the Pats got robbed

I think this all comes down to the Brady Rule, you know, the one where he gets extra protection from the zebras,

Brady was fading to the sidelines pursued by Corbin Bryant. If the whistle doesn't blow, Brady may have still got

the ball off, but he was going to take a shot from Bryant. The ref blew the whistle so Tommy didn't get crushed or because

he assumed Brady was just going to step out rather than take the hit. If Bryant doesn't let up at the whistle, Brady

might not have gotten it off, or Bryant might have tipped it, or distracted Brady enough so that the ball isn't on target.

Secondly, Darby is chasing Amendola everywhere. Amendola might have got a step on him on his last spin upfield, but

Darby also lets up at the whistle. Remember the whistle blew while the ball was still in the air, before reaching Darby and

Amendola. So, if Darby doesn't let up at the whistle, maybe he breaks up that play. Even if not, he is in position to make

the tackle if he doesn't pull up at the whistle. So, even if everything else went right for the Pats, Brady does get the ball off cleanly,

no whistle, and Amendola makes the grab, they still would have had only a first down, not a TD.

The ref blew the whistle to protect Brady. Then when he sees Amendola catch the ball, the ref goes "Oh sh%t."

The refs huddle for an eternity and without taking into account that the Bills stopped playing at the whistle, or that the

rule states it should be a do over because the whistle blew before the catch, they decide they owe the Pats something,

and give them 30 free yards. The ref who blew the whistle then comes up with the excuse of coach interference to make

his mistake ("protect Brady") look like it was somehow rex's fault, so the ref can try to save face. If you see the sideline

video, you can see the ref is blowing the whistle so Brady doesn't get hit rather than because Rex is in his way.

Sick of hearing how the Pats got robbed of a touchdown. The Bills were the only ones wronged on that play.

My two cents.

Didn't the official clearly blow his whistle when the ball was clearly in the air?

My two cents.

I think this is precisely correct.

The Buff-NE MNF Bottom Line:

Despite the inevitable one-sided officiating, the New England Patriots are a decimated football team. And a decent opposing football coach with a decent QB could have beaten NE on MNF.

But the Buffalo Bills have a lousy head coach and only a so-so QB.

Regardless of your opinion/ agenda on the Bills HC , the fact is the Bills win that game with better QB play. Period.

This is exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Since the whistle didn't blow until the ball was 3/4 of the way to Amandola, it wasn't blown to protect Brady.

Where the ball was is not material to the obvious situation. The ref likely thought he was trying to throw it out of bounds. I wholeheartedly think it was the Brady rule come back to bite them here.

This is exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Where the ball was is not material to the obvious situation. The ref likely thought he was trying to throw it out of bounds. I wholeheartedly think it was the Brady rule come back to bite them here.

How does blowing the whistle after the ball is down the field help protect him? He's already protected in that situation whistle or no.

Coaches are often standing right next to that sideline official. You always see it on the NFL films and mic'd up videos and such. The ref was completely at fault here and just covering his ass. Horrible officiating.

They probably robbed the Pats of a 15-20 yard catch, but they made up for it, and then some. Terrible.

Bills' offense still needs to play better to beat a great team like that.

The refs protect veteran QBs. That has been made obvious, no matter how much they deny it.

If you suck up to the refs, they're nice to you. Refs help Brady up when he falls. We saw that Monday night. Not Tyrod, though.

My two cents.

Well said.

The correct call should have been a do-over. Blowing the whistle while the ball is in the air negates the play (completion or not) and eradicates the flag on Rex. It should have been a do over. (I'm not that familiar with the rules - the source of this was the on-air Ref employed by espn, Walt ...something.)

I have no doubt that if Darby had intercepted the ball, then only the penalty would have been called, resulting in 15 yds and a 1st down for the Pats.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

I read that the Ref that blew the whistle was caught in a player collision in week 2. He broke 9 ribs and suffered a collapsed lung. So he was pretty effed up. This was his first or second game back. He had Bradey and the defense baring down on him, he most likely simply got scared. It was a genuin mistake IMO, but they jobbed us by saying the ball was caught first. It clearly wasn't.

In real time, it's almost as soon as he throws the ball. Don't be ridiculous.

No, in real time the ball was almost in Amendola's hands. It was close enough to Amendola that the refs - wrongly - said the whistle wasn't blown until after he caught it. Blowing the whistle doesn't protect Brady there. The Bills can not legally hit him in that situation anyway.

If you suck up to the refs, they're nice to you. Refs help Brady up when he falls. We saw that Monday night. Not Tyrod, though.

This is one of my pet peeves about the current state of NFL officiating. The refs are too chummy with the players and coaches. As you say, they help some players up. Why is a ref doing that? They also chit chat and chuckle with the players during time outs. I think this stuff makes them impartial at some level.

I even saw in one article posted here that the reason for the long huddle after the inadvertent whistle took so long because the refs were trying to appease everyone. How about going by what the rules say and screw 'em if they don't like it?

Refs should never even talk to players, only talk to coaches about legal rules things, and never help players up IMHO. Refs should be impartial and as isolated from the players as possible.

As to my second point above, why do the refs ask the coaches if they want to take a penalty or not. Used to be team captains did that. When did that change?