Fantastic interview with Gilbride

dave mcbride

One of the reasons he is not going to the middle of the field, ......is twofold: 1] He is very careful and doesn't want to make any mistakes so he is not going to throw it over the middle as much right now, until he gets more experience and comfortable. But more importantly, 2] he is such a good scrambler and runner that if his first or second read isn't open, he will take off and then look downfield as he runs. It's the equivalent of going through 1-2 more progressions but he doesn't get credit for any of those plays.

I'm afraid there's a third reason and that it's the one that's going to be a problem long term. Because of his size, there are times when he simply cannot get a good look between the numbers.

You can coach around it to some degree but you can never completely eliminate it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid there's a third reason and that it's the one that's going to be a problem long term. Because of his size, there are times when he simply cannot get a good look between the numbers.

You can coach around it to some degree but you can never completely eliminate it.

True. You can never completely eliminate it. But the trade off is worth it. Or at least has been so far. We will see if he progresses. No one on earth knows the answer to that, whether you like him or hate him or are indifferent right now.

Excellent article.

A lot of thinking and adjusting going on. Gilbride is excellent at coming up with a countering strategy to a defense but nothing materializes unless the plays are executed. When Gilbride was our OC he received a lot of criticism for over thinking and making things too complicated. The reality was that the talent didn't match the strategy.

I thought Gilbride's observations on Taylor were very interesting. He seemed to be saying that TT is still at the rudimentary stage. He also seemed to be saying that Taylor's passing stats are inflated because they are not due to a qb going through his progressions so much as they are inflated because the qb is extending a play. So what is the difference? A completion is a completion. Isn't what you accomplish more important than how you accomplish it?

Again, thanks for the article. It had a lot of interesting thoughts by Gilbride to consider.

I think the difference to an OC, is that the player isn't executing the designed play. An OC wants consistency, they want to have a QB they can control. Some of that is ego, some of it is strategic.

In my opinion people are overrating this article.

---

---

It is fine to criticize the QB. Every teams fans do it. It gets a little ridiculous, when people can't wait to jump on to something negative, so they are be perceived to be correct in their own mind.

In my opinion, some are not interested in the Bills winning with TT as QB.

Once again I will state ... How many times have you heard Tom Brady say - in some way, shape, or form -There is need for improvement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000243444/article/tom-brady-i-need-to-improve-my-body-language

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/0ap2000000243498/Brady-No-one-is-coming-to-save-the-day

Generally agree with Gilbrides take on Taylor and on the obvious Pat* game plan this week. Now we'll see if the Bills can do anything about it. I think that Clay is probably the key guy in being able to move the ball. A few big plays to him would open up the running game too.

Missed a wide open Sammy down the middle on first play from scrimmage against jets for what would have been 6. Any halfway decent QB at least throws it to the proper side (right in that case) and lets the WR have a free run at it.

Not sure exactly on the placement. But it definitely appeared to be a timing issue on Tyrod. There is a popular school of thought blaming Watkins on this board but Idont see this play that way at all. This was not a planned jump ball, so Watkins did not mistime a jump. He tried to adjust to an uncatchable ball from TT , instead of just running under it had it been delivered properly. SW beat Revis cleanly on that play.

So I think there are two points to consider here..

1 - He rarely throws deep down the middle of the field. ( could be caution, not going all the way through his progressions etc...) either way.. hopefully he becomes more comfortable and takes more shots in that area.

2 - Since he rarely throws deep down the middle of the field and the sample size is so low... is it reasonable to make a statement that he has poor accuracy on deep middle throws based off of one play in the Jets game that was arguably poorly thrown?

If you are looking at the pass on the third quarter, I put as much blame on the wind as I do on TT. It really started gusting in mid third quarter, and Bills were going against it.

That in itself could be an issue. We haven't seen TT throwing it in Nov at the Ralph

" He may be a four-year guy but he’s a first-year guy in terms of getting experience. "

And he is right as Tyrod is playing his first year in the NFL as the starting QB. He still has a lot to learn, and a lot of growing / developing to do. Still, he is 4-2 as the starter.

Starter LeSean McCoy, he said, “is off the charts.” Count on Belichick trying to erase him from the equation.

And again he is right as Shady is another version of Barry Sanders. Lets hope that Greg Roman that can break McCoy free, and doesn't ask Tyrod to throw very often. Run the read option enough so that Belichick stacks the box, and then have Taylor hit Sammy, or Clay behind the LBers. I would love to see both McCoy and Karlos in the backfield, and have the line work the counter trey to open up the cutback lanes.

Gilbride believes teams can win in 2015 with a run-heavy, smashmouth attack.

As do I, as do I. I would rather watch a smash mouth team beat down that Patriots defense all game long so that they can't stand up by the end of the game. They should be bending over holding their knees or hands on hips gasping for air. With two, three tight end formations just pounding the rock all game long, and the Bills have the players to do just that. The only real problem will be if the defense can keep Brady in check, and if not we probably won't see much of the run game.

Read the link at work this morning.

I like your highlights!

As long as whatever Bill is taking away, Bills move to another option and adjust . If they take the away a player ( Lesean ) or run play trend, make sure Tyrod is looking for the one on one down field. But come back to that run.

What is nice about the Bills this year, is that theoretically they can run inside or out with these running backs when in.

McCoy can turn the corner as well as anyone. And able to cut back under with the best. Can get open and catch in stride

Karlos looks great between tackles and if he gets squared up off tackle then he is going places with our WR blocking. And we just found out he catches and runs pretty well too.

Thats our strength

Bill B is going to try to soften our run game to force the pass. and then confuse with his secondary.

I hope we stick with the run to pass method. And the right side of the line can hold up against Jones!

The article was great link! Thanks enjoyed the read.

Thanks!!

Edited by 3rdand12

Drew Brees is 6'0" and weighs 209 lbs. Tyrod Taylor is 6'1" and weighs 215 lbs. Drew Brees throws most of his passes from the pocket. He is magnificent in quickly making his reads and going through his progressions from the pocket and accurately throwing the ball. There is no doubt that because of his short stature he has to be very adept at finding a passing lane when he throws. That is an adjustment short qbs have to make more than taller qbs.

My point isn't that TT could ever play at the level of DB or work withing the pocket like the future HOF qb does. That's not only unrealistic but it is foolish to even consider it. My point is that because of his short stature TT will have to adjust his game in order to be successful. Likewise, very tall qbs and less athletic qbs have to make adjustments tailored to their attributes in order to be successful.

Drew Brees is 6'0" and weighs 209 lbs. Tyrod Taylor is 6'1" and weighs 215 lbs. Drew Brees throws most of his passes from the pocket. He is magnificent in quickly making his reads and going through his progressions from the pocket and accurately throwing the ball. There is no doubt that because of his short stature he has to be very adept at finding a passing lane when he throws. That is an adjustment short qbs have to make more than taller qbs.

My point isn't that TT could ever play at the level of DB or work withing the pocket like the future HOF qb does. That's not only unrealistic but it is foolish to even consider it. My point is that because of his short stature TT will have to adjust his game in order to be successful. Likewise, very tall qbs and less athletic qbs have to make adjustments tailored to their attributes in order to be successful.

I watched one of those NFL throwing competitions years ago, and there were at least ten of the top QB's there competing. Brees was among them, and just swept the whole thing. He has to be the most accurate QB I've ever seen in hitting his targets like he did. Just phenomenal.

I watched one of those NFL throwing competitions years ago, and there were at least ten of the top QB's there competing. Brees was among them, and just swept the whole thing. He has to be the most accurate QB I've ever seen in hitting his targets like he did. Just phenomenal.

I don't personally care for the guy because I think he's a hypocritical self promoter and stats padder, but there's no denying at the height of his powers one of the best ever at attacking the middle of the field from the pocket. For those who want to see what TT isn't doing a good job at, here's a reminder.

Edited by JTSP

Gilbride is saying the same thing the Phil Simms said during the Thursday night game. TT is more or less waiting for guys to come open instead of anticipating it.

The piece of the article I thought was cool was about Gilbride drawing up a play mid game for Boss the TE in NY. I liked Gilbride a lot as an OC. He was the last competent OC. I am hoping Roman steps up more consistently w his game planning.

Is this a bad spot to say that the Giants D had more to do with the wins then the Giants O

(ducking for cover)

Gilbride had Eli Manning as his QB. I think he represents the bulk of Gilbride's genius.

It's amazing what a good defense and a great QB will do for your chances to win games in the NFL.

Gilbride had Eli Manning as his QB. I think he represents the bulk of Gilbride's genius.

In 19 seasons as an OC, his offenses have finished in the top 10 in both yards and points 10 times. That's very good.

The 2002 Bills finished 11th in both yards and points, which is still the best they've done since the 1990s ...

Is this a bad spot to say that the Giants D had more to do with the wins then the Giants O

(ducking for cover)

No I've said it as well! That and pure randomness or luck going the Giants way. Not to hard to imagine a couple different bounces the other way and Pats have 2 more SB wins.

It's amazing what a good defense and a great QB will do for your chances to win games in the NFL.

Perfect. Article is nothing new.

The LIST of why the Giants beat the Pats twice.

1. Defense

2. Eli Manning

3.Luck and Randomness

4. Tom Coughlin

15. Officiating

16. Giants counter espionage program

17. Kevin Gilbride creating an offense that put up 20 pts/game and 350 yards/gm against a mediocre Pats D.

Edited by The Thurmanator

Yes.

Rex had his dad serve as an intermediary and talk Gilbride into it.

Buddy and Kevin have been sharing a luxury box on gamedays all season long.....

Not sure if this is something sarcastic but since Buddy did punch Gilbride in a game it is good that in their old age they can forget old transgressions.