Fantastic interview with Gilbride

dave mcbride

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edited - The folks who think TT super fans is playing exceedingly well might not like it.

Gilbride remains skeptical in Taylor.

“I saw him against the Giants and thought he was awful,” he said. “Against Miami, I thought he looked pretty good. Even on those deep balls to Watkins, it’s not like he threw it on time. He waited, he waited and then, OK, now he threw it. He may be a four-year guy but he’s a first-year guy in terms of getting experience. So much of that position, the great ones, they win with their brain as much as anything else.”

Similarities to CN - “Cam’s not a great passer by any stretch,” he said. “He’s awful. He’s not accurate. He’s got a cannon for an arm but he’s not accurate.”

Soooo... Did the Bills hire him as a consultant?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Excellent article.

A lot of thinking and adjusting going on. Gilbride is excellent at coming up with a countering strategy to a defense but nothing materializes unless the plays are executed. When Gilbride was our OC he received a lot of criticism for over thinking and making things too complicated. The reality was that the talent didn't match the strategy.

I thought Gilbride's observations on Taylor were very interesting. He seemed to be saying that TT is still at the rudimentary stage. He also seemed to be saying that Taylor's passing stats are inflated because they are not due to a qb going through his progressions so much as they are inflated because the qb is extending a play. So what is the difference? A completion is a completion. Isn't what you accomplish more important than how you accomplish it?

Again, thanks for the article. It had a lot of interesting thoughts by Gilbride to consider.

Good read. Hope Tyrod continues to improve, because I didn't like reading Gilbride's comments about him not throwing on time.

It didn't take much effort in assessing TT to conclude that he wasn't completing passes after going through his progressions. At this point he is completing passes with his first read and after extending plays. That's very evident at this point. The challenge for our athletic qb is to become more adept at reading defenses and maturing his game. Will it get dramatically better this season? Probably not. But if he can steadily get better with that aspect of the game with more playing time then that is a good sign.

There are no guarantees for success. Qbs such as Kaepernick and RGIII have not gone beyond relying on their athleticism. And because of that they have regressed as qbs. The issue for TT is the same. Will he work at his craft to advance at the mental side of the game? I believe he will knowing that just because you can't be at a superior level at reading defenses and going through your progressions doesn't mean that you can't upgrade that aspect of the game to the point where you can still be a good qb.

By the end of the season we should have a good sense as to whether he is capable of doing it or not.

It didn't take much effort in assessing TT to conclude that he wasn't completing passes after going through his progressions. At this point he is completing passes with his first read and after extending plays. That's very evident at this point. The challenge for our athletic qb is to become more adept at reading defenses and maturing his game. Will it get dramatically better this season? Probably not. But if he can steadily get better with that aspect of the game with more playing time then that is a good sign.

There are no guarantees for success. Qbs such as Kaepernick and RGIII have not gone beyond relying on their athleticism. And because of that they have regressed as qbs. The issue for TT is the same. Will he work at his craft to advance at the mental side of the game? I believe he will knowing that just because you can't be at a superior level at reading defenses and going through your progressions doesn't mean that you can't upgrade that aspect of the game to the point where you can still be a good qb.

By the end of the season we should have a good sense as to whether he is capable of doing it or not.

Haha, I love how this is suddenly 'fact' because it's one guy says so. This isn't even true, but I'm others will also parrot this without any real knowledge.

Great idea by Tyler Dunne... reach out and get great insight from an experienced guy who's actually been in the trenches and has been successful against the Patriots.

Only think I think he's wrong about is TT's deep balls. From what I've seen the timing and accuracy has been great on almost every deep ball he's thrown.. I don't think he's waiting for guys to get open on the deep balls.

The TT super fans might not like it

Gilbride remains skeptical in Taylor.

I saw him against the Giants and thought he was awful, he said. Against Miami, I thought he looked pretty good. Even on those deep balls to Watkins, its not like he threw it on time. He waited, he waited and then, OK, now he threw it. He may be a four-year guy but hes a first-year guy in terms of getting experience. So much of that position, the great ones, they win with their brain as much as anything else.

Similarities to CN - Cams not a great passer by any stretch, he said. Hes awful. Hes not accurate. Hes got a cannon for an arm but hes not accurate.

Soooo... Did the Bills hire him as a consultant?

A little harsh but I agree with his assessment of Taylor. Don't agree on cam though, not this year. That guy is throwing lasers

Haha, I love how this is suddenly 'fact' because it's one guy says so. This isn't even true, but I'm others will also parrot this without any real knowledge.

Just because you can't see and acknowledge the obvious doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Great idea by Tyler Dunne... reach out and get great insight from an experienced guy who's actually been in the trenches and has been successful against the Patriots.

Only think I think he's wrong about is TT's deep balls. From what I've seen the timing and accuracy has been great on almost every deep ball he's thrown.. I don't think he's waiting for guys to get open on the deep balls.

Missed a wide open Sammy down the middle on first play from scrimmage against jets for what would have been 6. Any halfway decent QB at least throws it to the proper side (right in that case) and lets the WR have a free run at it. Edited by JTSP

Missed a wide open Sammy down the middle on first play from scrimmage against jets for what would have been 6. Any halfway decent QB at least throws it to the proper side (right in that case) and lets the WR have a free run at it.

I've re-watched that play multiple times and would respectfully disagree with your analysis. TT put the ball where it needed to be.. Sammy mistimed his jump.

I've re-watched that play multiple times and would respectfully disagree with your analysis. TT put the ball where it needed to be.. Sammy mistimed his jump.

http://media.giphy.com/media/Zrltxt2KJfyZq/giphy.gif

Yeah .. TT sucks at throwing deep balls

giphy.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/Zrltxt2KJfyZq/giphy.gif

Yeah .. TT sucks at throwing deep balls

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by Bocephuz