Bowles' Big Mistakes

In my opinion, Todd Bowles and Chan Gailey both did us gigantic favors. Bowles first, when he chose to kick an extra point and make the score 22-10 after the Marshall TD.

Down by 19 points, the path of least resistance is two touchdowns with conversions and a field goal. The difference between 22-10 and 22-9 is relatively insubstantial. The difference between 22-11 and 22-10 is big.

As (our) luck would have it, the Jets ended up in a situation where they had the ball deep in Buffalo territory and needed to score a touchdown instead of a field goal.

Chan did us another solid and designed a 4th down play to his blocking tight end, Kellen Davis, who has one catch all year.

Classic case of over thinking. Fitz and Decker (throwing a pick) did their parts beautifully, but the play failed because the Jets got fancy and went to their 9th best offensive weapon in the game's biggest moment.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But I thought Bowles is an excellent coach because he stands there with that perpetual blank half smirk on his face. Unlike the Bills windbag who has no discipline. Wonder where those folks are hiding tonight? I told you that extraneous crap has next to no impact on the game . Anyone doubt that if the Bills had lost by a point tonight that it would have been because Rex has entertaining pressers and sent IK out as a captain?

Chan made a couple classic Chan calls with passing plays short of the first down on third and fourth and short and insisting on passing when Ivory was getting yards at will

Edited by Max997

Chan made a couple classic Chan calls with passing plays short of the first down on third and fourth and short and insisting on passing when Ivory was getting yards at will

And going away from the screen game when they had gashed us a few times on those middle screens...have to admit its the one facet of our game that I really miss from when Gailey was here...we were the best screen team in the NFL...

Edited by matter2003

Yep.

See, the thing about being colorblind in this game? You had to look extra hard to figure out what was happening. It's like my football sense got a boost. I could only see movement(felt like being a F'ing deer). I recognized a whole lot of past Gailey "OMG, WTF, etc" moments in this game. 2 plays come to mind: throwing for 2 yards to Decker? when they needed 4, and having Preston Brown wipe him out immediately coming from the inside out = 4th down. And, the insane play you mentioned, throwing the ball behind the line of scrimmage :blink: on 4th and 2. Darby made a great play in the open field, but, notice, McKelvin was there immediately. Even if he got away, McKelvin still woild have stopped him short of the marker.

I really don't know how from there, with 3 TOs and and easy kick, you don't take the points, trust your very good(on paper) D, and put yourself in position to make a stop get the ball back, and kick the winning FG.

I know all about "going for it" analytics, but, there's a time for analytics, and a time for sound judgement.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Yep.

See, the thing about being colorblind in this game? You had to look extra hard to figure out what was happening. It's like my football sense got a boost. I could only see movement(felt like being a F'ing deer). I recognized a whole lot of past Gailey "OMG, WTF, etc" moments in this game. 2 plays come to mind: throwing for 2 yards to Decker? when they needed 4, and having Preston Brown wipe him out immediately coming from the inside out = 4th down. And, the insane play you mentioned, throwing the ball behind the line of scrimmage :blink: on 4th and 2. Darby made a great play in the open field, but, notice, McKelvin was there immediately. Even if he got away, McKelvin still woild have stopped him short of the marker.

I really don't know how from there, with 3 TOs and and easy kick, you don't take the points, trust your very good(on paper) D, and put yourself in position to make a stop get the ball back, and kick the winning FG.

I know all about "going for it" analytics, but, there's a time for analytics, and a time for sound judgement.

http://deadspin.com/stupid-nike-uniforms-wreaking-havoc-on-colorblind-nfl-f-1742272136

Seriously, that must have been tough to decipher.

Chan definitely made some bizarre calls.

The 4th down pass to Marshall.

The 3rd down Fitz run.

The play to Kellen Davis.

Run for 8 on 1st down, then abandon the run for passing.

Chan was going to be Chan and overthink play calls.

I think Fitz improvised that run but otherwise I agree.

Yep.

I am red/green color blind as well. This was a nightmare for me trying to tell these two teams apart last night.

I am red/green color blind as well. This was a nightmare for me trying to tell these two teams apart last night.

i think i read that 13% of males are so there were players out there that didnt know who was who at first glance which is scary

http://deadspin.com/stupid-nike-uniforms-wreaking-havoc-on-colorblind-nfl-f-1742272136

Seriously, that must have been tough to decipher.

I'm color blind, so I had a bad feeling I'd have a headache by the end of the first quarter. It really wasn't THAT bad, but this wasn't worth the effort. It's all a marketing/money scheme by the NFL, anyway.

That said, if they had a red Tyrod jersey in the Bills store last week, I would've picked one up. :flirt:

Chan definitely made some bizarre calls.

The 4th down pass to Marshall.

The 3rd down Fitz run.

The play to Kellen Davis.

Run for 8 on 1st down, then abandon the run for passing.

Chan was going to be Chan and overthink play calls.

I'm not sure if Gailey called this, but the Fitz 3rd down run set up a manageable 4th down. It looked like one of those things where Fitz saw the middle wide open and just took what he could get out of it.

what??? that sentence makes no sense whatsoever...either you trust analytics and make decision off of them,or t you don't...no in between.

Just cause the play does not work does not mean it was a wrong decision to go for it.

in terms of the pass to the TE...all i thought was TJ Graham

I thought Bowles coached well and all his 4th down decisions were sound. And while you can fault gailey's calls, who knows if the problem was execution?

Overall, I was actually impressed with Bowles and their defense. The offense was okay, but it was the TOs that killed them.

Bowles was severely out-coached. By Rex Ryan. That is not up for debate.

I believe the third down run by Fitz was all him as he saw the middle wide open and just decided to get what he could and make the 4th easier to get

i knew we were in for a night from Chan when he started the game with 3 incomplete deep balls