Bills D vs Jets O

YoloinOhio

This isn't intended to be a complaining about the defense thread. There are plenty of those. It's intended to look at matchups for Thursday.

Just from my observations-- The Jets use the TE Cumberland rarely and he's not great. Fitz throws mainly to two guys - Decker and Marshall. Both have had great, consistent seasons thus far. Both have size but not great speed. Which one does Darby get? Concerned about his size. Then they have the rookie Devin Smith who is a fast, deep threat. But not sure how much they've used him with Fitz. Kerley is kind of a steady eddy but not a game changer.

Ivory started out the season hot, but had really cooled off.not sure if it's nagging injuries or OL play. They got Stevan Ridley back recently - wonder how much he will play.

Most interested in thoughts on Secondary matchups and other info beyond the (very limited) that I presented on their offense.

On the OL it looks like mangold will be out (huge loss) and they will get Colon back.

Edited by YoloinOhio

With Mangold likely out and D'Brick having a down year, I like this matchup for us in the trenches big time. Ivory struggled today against Jax.

I think it's a toss up who gets who regarding Gilmore/Darby and Marshall/Decker. I feel like they play on the same side every game.

I think this matchup heavily favors us. Rex should know how to attack most of the Jets players, but again a lot of it comes back to tightening up. The D is still underperforming and can be exploited. All the screens Tanny was carving us up with is Gailey's specialty too.

Fitz has heart and balls. Our defense has neither. I am not complaining about our defense but just saying that Fitz will use willpower to beat us. Mangold being out offsets Kyle Williams being out.

Our DL won't give up much on the ground. Our defense will be tested in the air.

Fitz has heart and balls. Our defense has neither. I am not complaining about our defense but just saying that Fitz will use willpower to beat us. Mangold being out offsets Kyle Williams being out.

Good for him. He's still a bad starting QB.

Lets just go out there and load the box and blitz Fitz and if he beats us deep consistently we lose so be it. We all know Fitz...we know you can suffocate him. We'll win if we don't over think this or fear the deep ball that won't hit very often.

Lets just go out there and load the box and blitz Fitz and if he beats us deep consistently we lose so be it. We all know Fitz...we know you can suffocate him. We'll win if we don't over think this or fear the deep ball that won't hit very often.

these WR's he has get YAC. The WR's he had in Buffalo did not, save for SJ13 and these guys are faster and more explosive then SJ13.

They have Kembrell Thompkins too. Just remembered. Has bounced around the league with Pats and Raiders but is pretty good WR IMO

Our secondary is our strength this year. Really not worried about whether or not we can cover these guys. I am worried about Fitz Gailey dinking and dunking, exploiting how bad our LBs have been at shedding blocks and/or making tackles.

This is a great game for us to go back to a blitz heavy scheme. fitz is gonna want to throw downfield, and I think we can get to him if we pressure him.

Beyond that, I remain concerned about Ivory. We didn't look too great against Miller today, especially when he was a receiver.

This is a bad timing game...Rex's first visit to NY and to play against the Jets. That game against Patriots was horrible;;;and I see Rex getting caught up in the emotions and trying to prove to the Jets...I fear this game.

Our secondary is our strength this year. Really not worried about whether or not we can cover these guys. I am worried about Fitz Gailey dinking and dunking, exploiting how bad our LBs have been at shedding blocks and/or making tackles.

+1. We have been very poor against the Screens

What kind of nonsense is this? Fitzpatrick is and always has been a garbage QB and the definition of anti-clutch. Give me an example of him willing a team to victory and I'll give you 2 of him blowing a game with a late interception or fumble.

What kind of nonsense is this? Fitzpatrick is and always has been a garbage QB and the definition of anti-clutch. Give me an example of him willing a team to victory and I'll give you 2 of him blowing a game with a late interception or fumble.

blaming fitz for throwing am int or a fumble in the 4th qtr we were getting blamed out in was always a highlight. And the few games he got a few late TDs it was fun when he would throw an intended after almost single handedly getting the td

I agree that my biggest fear is tearing us so art underneath on screen passes. Fitz was always good at that.

The good news is that I mostly trust Darby and Gilmore on Decker and Marshall, maybe with a safety shadowing Darby. I'd imagine trying to play a lot of nickel. Ivory is banged up and without Mangold they're not getting the push up the middle. I'm hoping Kyle can somehow make it back.

The Jets are not an explosive offense team , they lack speed. Decker/Marshall are plodders and Fitz has a below average arm. Ivory is dinged up and more of a power guy. The line has done a good job protecting the QB.

The Bills should and will be aggressive against an offense of this type. Catching them for losses and "putting them behind schedule" is the way to play these guys. Press the line in coverage and mix in blitzes. If we stop their running game we will be in good shape.

My concerns: The Jets protect well, and we do not rush the passer well. We must tackle better, force a turnover or 3, and avoid dumb penalties.

blaming fitz for throwing am int or a fumble in the 4th qtr we were getting blamed out in was always a highlight. And the few games he got a few late TDs it was fun when he would throw an intended after almost single handedly getting the td

?? :huh:

I got my ovaltine decoder ring out and still can't make sense of this post.

Is this just a 'crummy commercial'?

Yep this is totally accurate. Fitz would lead an 80 yard TD drive to take the lead with 5 minutes left in the fourth. The defense would let up a 4 minute drive to lose the lead. Fitz with 1 minute on the clock and 1 timeout would sometimes throw a pick. And everyone would call for his head. Hilariously predictable.

The biggest playmakers are on the Bills side: TT, shady, Watkins and Karlos..

The Jets D has not been as impressive the last few weeks. The Jets offense doesn't have the explosiveness to scare me despite our defense's "struggles".

I just don't see the Jets being able to keep up with the Bills now that our offense is healthy (Shady's shoulder doesn't appear to be a big deal).

Bills 27 Jets 17

Edited by bobobonators