Should the Bills extend Robert Woods?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need to come to terms that Seantrel might not be the LT that Peters was

Henderson has physical talent, but he has always been mentally inconsistent. That weakness can get your qb killed. For an LT you need consistency, and that is what he doesn't have. He drops the ball too often.

Close to it, perhaps more. The cap is going up, right? It all comes down to guaranteed money for these guys, and those are the deals that hurt teams wrt the cap.

That's pretty steep. Whaley will have some big decisions to make this next off season. There's not a ton of cap space - not like we had this last off season. No doubt everyone will not be re-signed.

Henderson has physical talent, but he has always been mentally inconsistent. That weakness can get your qb killed. For an LT you need consistency, and that is what he doesn't have. He drops the ball too often.

True.

WRT the OLines across The League, I think the DLinemen are typically bigger, stronger, and have more freedom to make plays, than the OLinemen do. There are maybe a half dozen really good to great OLines in the NFL. Most of the other teams are singing the blues about at least 2-3 of their starters. Seems a shame to break the bank for a guy like Glenn - if it comes to that. But the alternative is wash/rinse/repeat with plug-and-play (generic player). It's not an encouraging position to be in. I'm sure Whaley's going to draft a couple in 2016.

Go Bills!

And you know this how? Of course, OLinemen are a dime a dozen. You can easily pick up two or three and plug them right in and bingo! Success. It's simple. The history of The Bills and for that matter, much of the rest of The League shows this... not.

Where did I say O-lineman and in particular LT's are a dime a dozen? i didn't you did. What i said IMO Glenn is an average perhaps slightly

above LT. Who could be an over priced option for what he provides. Supply & demand, not difficult to comprehend. Would he be a good extension sure. is he worth big bucks? Nope.

As for the "history" of the Bills, I agree he is a superstar while the front pffice ineptitude continues building a o-line. He's average and someone will pay him more than he's worth. 5 holding calls this season 3 accepted. on a o-line ranked 30/32. yea, that is irreplaceable production. The holding calls? he has too be because he gets beat.

The problem I see with Glenn is that even in a contract year, he isn't improving. I am not saying that he isn't a good player, but I don't know if he's worth 12 million or so per season.

Do you think he is worth that kind of money?

I don't think he's worth anywhere near that, but I doubt his price tag gets close to that level. If I had to guess I'd say he's more likely to max out around $7m/yr, and I think that's after inflating it for playing LT.

With these current contracts I believe we still will have an extra $21 mil. That doesn't account for the increase we'll see due to revenue accounting, and I believe the new TR night contract will be up for bid, and there is discussion of TR Night Football going to 16 games instead of 8 on on of the networks. CBS, Fox, and NBC will all place bids so that is even more money for the players. I can't remember the percentage break with the new CBA, but thought it was like 52% to the players or something like that.

My point is simply Woods was the original question, and we should offer him a reasonable deal as he is not an elite WR. We should also have money for Gilmore, Bradham and Glenn. Incognito will need an extension, but at 33, he can't ask for top G money. Gilmore is the only top flight person at their respective position. If another team is willing to overpay for one of them, we'll have to let them walk. Let's hope not, and if we go on a run for the next 9 weeks, they are going to want to stay on a winning team.

We won't have another free agent splash like this past year as we won't be able to afford it. We also should see a restructure of Mario Williams. We have to have another standout draft like this year where we have three starters. All three have been solid.

Next year we have to draft a QB even if TT does well so we can sh#t can EJ, a solid WR, a TE opposite Clay, Those are my wish list positions, and BPA for the rest of the draft. I'd even move up to get a really good QB, even if we only have 6 persons acquired in the draft.

Name someone who was? Eric Moulds maybe but you cant name another WR we have had that can be mentioned with them

Damn dude.

yes! moulds definitely, But people here were saying SJ was better. Evans had about %50 more total production as well to date, and was far better as far as actually making tough catches. All SJ ever did was go over 1000 yards 4 times in a row along with big drops, fumbles and penalties. Peerless Price was a better talent wise than SJ too, we just coudnt resist trading him or hed probably have out produced him as well. In fact SJ had only slightly better numbers than josh reed especially considering he got to be our go to guy for 5 years. Josh was a starter once! and once SJ was put around other good receivers on a team he quickly slid to their #3 or 4 spot.

anyway, go bills!

ABSOLUTELY !! Robert Wood has been the one steady factor in the WR corp & has good if not great hands but has been an often over looked piece of the offense !

I think because of that fact if given the chance to hit free agency Wood would look to another team to utilize him more .

I believe that Wood is as good if not better than S.J. while he was here & if we had a QB that would look his way his stats would be much higher !!

There has been times when he has more than not been standing wide open & been totally over looked . Get on it Doug , we need these kind of players to stay relevant !!

I probably should have been more specific in the OP - I was really inquiring on if we should sign him to an extension early (a la Aaron Williams, Nickell Robey) -- not whether he should be re-signed in general. But still some of the same points resonate either way.

I probably should have been more specific in the OP - I was really inquiring on if we should sign him to an extension early (a la Aaron Williams, Nickell Robey) -- not whether he should be re-signed in general. But still some of the same points resonate either way.

If i digressed i apologise.

Yes, get ahead of it Whaley. I want Woods on the team long term.

I think folks would value him more , if someone could get him the ball semi accurately or even at all.

couple years of seeing him getting open and couple of years throwing to him when he is, not so much.

and he just keeps grindin'

does nothing after the catch? Wtf games are you watching

He is partly correct, but thats not on him. its the QB not passing him open. How many times has he had to slow down or stop.

Not for a lack of effort on Roberts part though !

FA in 2017. Type of player we may want to lock up early. He's been durable and productive as a #2 WR. 2nd round pick, Whaley seems to like him.

Watkins is a superior talent but he's been in and out of the lineup this year. I would like to see Woods extended for some stability in the WR corp.

Me too.

I assumed that's what we were talking about. Extending players you want to retain a year before their contract runs out is definitely the way to go whenever reasonable. If the Bills can get Woods at a reasonable price this offseason then I do it. If he thinks he can get starter money somewhere then I kick that can down the road.

Edited by BarleyNY

FA in 2017. Type of player we may want to lock up early. He's been durable and productive as a #2 WR. 2nd round pick, Whaley seems to like him.

Watkins is a superior talent but he's been in and out of the lineup this year. I would like to see Woods extended for some stability in the WR corp.

He's durable because he never catches anything.

I retain Woods and Glenn provided we don't overpay for either. For Glenn that means average starting LT money, not high end. No way he's worth a tag. Competent OL are in short supply so I would bring him back at a reasonable price. We still need someone to move the pile as none of our OL are particularly powerful off the ball besides RI. I let Bradham walk.