Should the Bills extend Robert Woods?

YoloinOhio

I think he has been somewhat disappointing so far, but the team has not had consistent QB play, so it is hard to tell.

I also thought that the Bills going out and getting Harvin was some indication as to whether they thought that Woods was a true #2 WR.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm GM for another NFL team and Im looking to add a young WR To pair with my QB Robert Woods would be very high on my list. Our QB situation his first 3 years in the league has really derailed his chances of becoming a household name, but the talent is there.

I have tons of confidence that eventually Tyrod will be able to make both Sammy and Robert into well known and respected WRs...just gotta keep everyone on the field.

How is an above average starting left tackle less of a priority for most of you than a middling #2/3 receiver? I happen to like Woods but there are a hell of a lot more Robert Woods on this planet than there are Cordy Glenns. Is Robert Woods decidedly better than Chris Hogan? I guess this speaks to the ongoing TBD narrative that the OL always sucks. It doesn't. It's average and Cordy Glenn is above average.

I'm not totally sold - he's a good #2 but those guys are somewhat replaceable. Runs good routes and is a very able blocker, but doesn't get much separation on his own and does absolutely nothing after the catch. Thought we'd be seeing more from him by now.

Kind of with this. Edited by metzelaars_lives

I'm not totally sold - he's a good #2 but those guys are somewhat replaceable. Runs good routes and is a very able blocker, but doesn't get much separation on his own and does absolutely nothing after the catch. Thought we'd be seeing more from him by now.

My thoughts too.

Woods is a dime a dozen kind of guy. I would let him walk.

The only priority signing is Gilmore.

Gilmore (a cornerstone of the D)

Glenn (as a mid tier OT contract - if his agent thinks he's getting elite LT money elsewhere let him go, he isn't in that category)

Woods (still only 22, solid contributor, durable, has shown strong WR ability despite questionable QBs throwing to him)

Bradham (can be replaced in draft)

Agree.. regarding letting him (Glenn) go if big bucks is a demand.

Not hijacking a thread here, just want to say: while Whaley has been above average in picking up talent---I'd say he's in the top tier of GMs in deciding when to let a current team member go.

Fred Jackson fans can flame me one this, but it's true.

I endured through the post-Levy Super Bowl years when the Bill's kept players that should have been cut, or let to walk.

Oh.. back to the OP: It's a bit early to tell, let's get through the end of season. But all indications are RW will be a prime candidate for retention. He certainly seems injury resistant.. there's some value in that.

Edited by boater

My thoughts too.

Woods is a dime a dozen kind of guy. I would let him walk.

The only priority signing is Gilmore.

IDK, when I think of dime a dozen guys I think Easley...........some think he is some ST guru I don't. There is another guy too,but he is a fan favorite so he's untouchable. Easley IMO is part of the NIX stink still left on the deck. A throw away and waste of a roster spot. But Woods is a dime a dozen?

Woods was almost decapitated two years ago by his QB. More than once. has never had any time to develop with a QB. They change every few weeks. let him walk and the hoody turns him into a star. So much for home grown talent. is it better to drop 6mil+ on a Harvin who has scored exactly 1 touchdown?

What have people seen from Bradham in this defense that makes them want to extend him? He excelled last year but hasn't had nearly the impact this year.

As for Woods, I like his play and how physical he is but his attitude on the field sucks. In addition he has way too many penalties. He's been called for 5 in 7 games though one was offsetting but the 4 that were taken still leads the league.

Even when he's not getting penalized I can't count how many times that I'm cringing expecting a penalty to be thrown because he's doing stuff after the whistle. The team needs fewer of these types of players. Yet, if he can be convinced to play more under control I like his skill set.

Edited by MDH

IDK, when I think of dime a dozen guys I think Easley...........some think he is some ST guru I don't. There is another guy too,but he is a fan favorite so he's untouchable. Easley IMO is part of the NIX stink still left on the deck. A throw away and waste of a roster spot. But Woods is a dime a dozen?

Woods was almost decapitated two years ago by his QB. More than once. has never had any time to develop with a QB. They change every few weeks. let him walk and the hoody turns him into a star. So much for home grown talent. is it better to drop 6mil+ on a Harvin who has scored exactly 1 touchdown?

I think he is a good player. But consider all the no. 2 WRs in the league. There are few, if any, that fall into the "must re-sign" category. I think we could get comparable production from a free agent or rookie.

It will be interesting to see what the market might be though for a guy like Woods.

Not every player on the team can be, or even needs to be, a pro bowl caliber superstar. You need good, consistent, dependable role players. Woods is exactly that. Letting him walk, just means you have to find a consistent and dependable WR to fill the void. It's the definition of treading water. You don't break the bank to keep him, but you also don't let him walk if you can help it.

We need this coaching staff and players to play together and get better. We started the season with Taylor throwing to Watkins, Harvin and Woods. If Woods walks, our QB only has one of those guys returning next year. That's not how you build consistency and confidence in an offensive system.

So, yeah, sign the guy and keep moving forward.

I think he is a good player. But consider all the no. 2 WRs in the league. There are few, if any, that fall into the "must re-sign" category. I think we could get comparable production from a free agent or rookie.

It will be interesting to see what the market might be though for a guy like Woods.

why roll the dice and replace him at all though? He was drafted in the 2nd round by this team. He's not a guy who is going to demand a big contract, so extend him now before he hits the market. You already know what he can do. Why sign a FA from another team to replace him when you can keep a guy already here? I'm just curious as I think drafting and developing talent is the way to build a team. I'd obviously still add one in FA or draft, but would hate for it it be a huge "need" here where they need to give a huge contract or use a high pick because they are not re-signing a recent high pick.

Also - not sure how many good FA WRs see this QB situation/offense as attractive. It would not be easy to sign someone even as good as Woods.

Edited by YoloinOhio

FA in 2017. Type of player we may want to lock up early. He's been durable and productive as a #2 WR. 2nd round pick, Whaley seems to like him.

Watkins is a superior talent but he's been in and out of the lineup this year. I would like to see Woods extended for some stability in the WR corp.

its a no brainer, most consistent productive wr since SJ. and we dont even have to argue for years on end on whether hes a #1 or #2.

Hes a great #2 good attitude, and a better talent than SJ ever was, funny how many people anointed him our best WR ever since Reed.

I'm not sure. He's been pretty ineffective recently, and is a bit of a loose cannon on the field. But at the same time, it's not like we have any better options at the moment.

Sometimes I wonder if you actually watch the games......

Not only did you say ineffective

But you said ineffective RECENTLY

Or did you take powder for the last game