Fire Doug Whaley signs

Rockee96

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll fly a sign. I agree 100%. Every time he opens his mouth it's delusional. He was propping up TJ Graham for 2 years. Took credit for EJ. Gloated that his only problem was being "too perfect." Insisted we were in "win now" mode. Whiffed on the QB. Over drafted his WR. Overpaid his RB. Cut all the value players with leadership roles. This is not the formula for success.

Besides Fred, who else?

If you remember it was the Pegulas who fell in love with Ryan after the first interview. It was a group decision not a Whaley decision. Whaley has put too much talent on the field to be considered a failure at his role. We have a ton of talented UDFAs, Taylor is possibly the steal of the offseason and guys like Clay and Harvin (when healthy) have already paid dividends.

The coaching staff is ultimately responsible for the teams onfield performance. Coaching has to do with dumb penalties, lack of direction and production on defense, questionable play calling as well as the teams overall preparation on the field.

Like another poster stated, Whaley is one of the best GMs we've had in over a decade. He is still young and I'm sure still learning which means his upside is very high.

I know everyone is frustrated as am I and the knee jerk reaction is to fire everyone. But in Ryans defense injuries have played a big part I feel in this team not playing to their potential. I know you have to find ways to win despite that but I don't know too many teams who lose their starting QB and best WR and go on winning streaks. Dallas is an example of this.

3-4 is not the end of the world. Giants win a SB in a season which they were 7-8. Our schedule isn't the strongest and we have a lot of teams in our schedule who are experiencing their own struggles.

Right now I personally want to see how this team responds after the bye. If they come out and put together a few wins and we're looking at 6-4 then things will be different. That scenario isn't so crazy in my mind.

Ok that bolded part is really bugging me in many ways. First, why doesn't anyone else care that a guy who watches football on his TV like the rest of suddenly has the astute football acumen to be able to determine what head coach is best for the team? Who put it in his ear that he should pick his own head coach or who advised him Ryan was best for the job?

Is this another Dan Snyder all over again, and for how many years is this team going to suck before he hires a winning HC? Dunno why the rest of you let this pass? The team should have hired an experienced NFL football consultant / adviser like the NY Jets did! Or czar!

Everyone says this team is loaded with talent... and yet its a Hodge podge mix of things that aren't exactly meshing well. Three fragile WR's out injured, a running QB that may never play a full 16 games due to his slight build. RB's injured, O linemen injured. An O line that isn't run blocking like expected. A defense that can't seem to find the handle on how to put pressure on or sack the QB like they did the last two years. This years team is a mess. 3-4, and at the bottom.

Losing a game to a lousy 1-5 team was very upsetting to me too! I know we all hope the team can find a way to win more games, but its tough with near half the season gone. The next three games will be so telling for this year Miami, @ Jets @ NE.

Can't blame the GM for on field coaching issues. Definitely not his problem that he signed the important pieces of our highly ranked defence of last year that now can't stop anything. Our offence is improved from last year but is totally inept. Can't fault the guy for making improvements in players, can only fault the guys calling the plays.

Ok that bolded part is really bugging me in many ways. First, why doesn't anyone else care that a guy who watches football on his TV like the rest of suddenly has the astute football acumen to be able to determine what head coach is best for the team? Who put it in his ear that he should pick his own head coach or who advised him Ryan was best for the job?

Is this another Dan Snyder all over again, and for how many years is this team going to suck before he hires a winning HC? Dunno why the rest of you let this pass? The team should have hired an experienced NFL football consultant / adviser like the NY Jets did! Or czar!

Everyone says this team is loaded with talent... and yet its a Hodge podge mix of things that aren't exactly meshing well. Three fragile WR's out injured, a running QB that may never play a full 16 games due to his slight build. RB's injured, O linemen injured. An O line that isn't run blocking like expected. A defense that can't seem to find the handle on how to put pressure on or sack the QB like they did the last two years. This years team is a mess. 3-4, and at the bottom.

Losing a game to a lousy 1-5 team was very upsetting to me too! I know we all hope the team can find a way to win more games, but its tough with near half the season gone. The next three games will be so telling for this year Miami, @ Jets @ NE.

Well, who was he supposed to trust? Bill Polian turned down the czar job. Not Whaley, he's on the same level as the HC position. Russ Brandon, the one responsible for the Marrone fiasco by hiring him in the first place? :lol:

Edited by Rico

Look at the date of that article. Anything significant happen to Doug in that time frame? And nothing in that article disputes the fact Whaley wasn't in the big-boy chair when the pick was made. It was an organizational pick he was in favor of. He wasn't calling the shots.

Again, facts make rants so much less fun. I know.

EJ Manuel was Whaley's pick all the way regardless of who was nominally in charge. Some are resorting to sophistry in order to exculpate him, saying that since Nix was boss Whaley is blameless. If there is any doubt, who is the guy going to the mat to defend him now, even when the league-wide consensus is that Manuel isn't any good? Sometimes the answer just stares at you in the face.

Isn't it possible to think that he's made some good moves and bad moves instead of hunkering down in a bunker and denying the obvious in order to give an over-the-top defense of an average gm?

Edited by dave mcbride

Besides Fred, who else?

Stevie Johnson and Chandler, the 2 most dependable and experienced possession receivers we had. It's great to have these flashy playmakers, but sometimes the vets bring mentoring and level-headed leadership that seems to be lacking right now. I also miss Spikes, because he set the tone on 1st and 2nd downs and made our D more potent.

GM's have to be held accountable to the owners, coaches, players and fans. Fans actually pay the salaries for all the above.

We all get to vote.... with our feet (and dollars). I say Whaley is fine, but Rex is on a short leash. We all have opinions, but the vote is an indirect measure. The Pegula's get the ultimate call and I trust them to be smart people.

Whaley is the least of our problems... how many guys did we dodge signing ? Byrd ? levitre ? big money losses.... there are few Qb's he could of done something about ... the list includes McCown , and Carr.... how many other teams passed on them as well or offered less then the browns... Cassel sucks cleary was a the backup plan... EJ is a bottom 10 starter currently and Tyrod is probably around a bottom 15 QB with potential to reach 10-15 top QB. The options are limited and our D was setup for success and now we have the Rex effect which involves a passive D and me drinking 6 beers a game to calm me down...Id cut bait with Rex before Whaley....think of his gems... Karlos, converting williams, preston brown, incognito deal, tyrod, Darby draft.. thats pretty solid when compared to other GMs drafting and letting players walk...only guy better at letting them walk is Bellicheat...

We all get to vote.... with our feet (and dollars). I say Whaley is fine, but Rex is on a short leash. We all have opinions, but the vote is an indirect measure. The Pegula's get the ultimate call and I trust them to be smart people.

...and based on Pegulas moves with wanting a czar and no contract extension to Whaley the writing is already on the wall. Rex is here to stay for at least another year or two. He was handpicked by the Pegulas and has 25 million guaranteed. He is not leaving after one year.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever