Fire Doug Whaley signs

Rockee96

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the results count.

The question as to Whaley's responsibility for the results is at what time was he given full reign? For argument's sake, let's say January 2013, when Brandon took over.

Are they not a significantly more talented team than they were in January of 2013? Is that not Whaley's job?

Yes, they are better since he assumed the GM role. But is it enough?

Look, I'm not trying to be contentious with you. They won 6 games in 2013, 9 (or 8 to some) last year and that's progress. I just don't think they're moving fast enough, considering player shelf life and contracts.

3 years might seem short, but that's usually all a GM or HC gets these days to get into the playoffs.

Look, I'm not trying to be contentious with you. They won 6 games in 2013, 9 (or 8 to some) last year and that's progress. I just don't think they're moving fast enough, considering player shelf life and contracts.

3 years might seem short, but that's usually all a GM or HC gets these days to get into the playoffs.

Yes, because instability and constant changeover has done SOOOO well for the Bills during the past 15 years. So let's keep doing the same thing, over and over and over again! That'll solve it.

If you remember it was the Pegulas who fell in love with Ryan after the first interview. It was a group decision not a Whaley decision. Whaley has put too much talent on the field to be considered a failure at his role. We have a ton of talented UDFAs, Taylor is possibly the steal of the offseason and guys like Clay and Harvin (when healthy) have already paid dividends.

The coaching staff is ultimately responsible for the teams onfield performance. Coaching has to do with dumb penalties, lack of direction and production on defense, questionable play calling as well as the teams overall preparation on the field.

Like another poster stated, Whaley is one of the best GMs we've had in over a decade. He is still young and I'm sure still learning which means his upside is very high.

I know everyone is frustrated as am I and the knee jerk reaction is to fire everyone. But in Ryans defense injuries have played a big part I feel in this team not playing to their potential. I know you have to find ways to win despite that but I don't know too many teams who lose their starting QB and best WR and go on winning streaks. Dallas is an example of this.

3-4 is not the end of the world. Giants win a SB in a season which they were 7-8. Our schedule isn't the strongest and we have a lot of teams in our schedule who are experiencing their own struggles.

Right now I personally want to see how this team responds after the bye. If they come out and put together a few wins and we're looking at 6-4 then things will be different. That scenario isn't so crazy in my mind.

Edited by dezertbill

Whaley totally whiffed on EJ.. Why does he get a pass on that?

I don't know what line of work you're in, but I'm an engineer. I have entry level engineers working under me. I review their work, then sign and seal plan sets. If, at a later date, something is found to be wrong with the plans I am the only one held accountable by law. Even if the 2013 draft board was 100% Whaley's work, it was Buddy Nix who signed off on that work and authorized the move.

I don't know what line of work you're in, but I'm an engineer. I have entry level engineers working under me. I review their work, then sign and seal plan sets. If, at a later date, something is found to be wrong with the plans I am the only one held accountable by law. Even if the 2013 draft board was 100% Whaley's work, it was Buddy Nix who signed off on that work and authorized the move.

Shhh. Don't let facts get in the way of the torches and pitchforks.

i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you missed this posting a couple of days ago. in his own words: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204027/article/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-integral-in-ej-manuel-pick

Look at the date of that article. Anything significant happen to Doug in that time frame? And nothing in that article disputes the fact Whaley wasn't in the big-boy chair when the pick was made. It was an organizational pick he was in favor of. He wasn't calling the shots.

Again, facts make rants so much less fun. I know.

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We have a philosophy that the information makes the decision," Whaley explained. "We think that we did enough due diligence and the information pointed us all to this point that EJ would be the guy we feel will take the Buffalo Bills into the future."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/22260855/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-an-integral-part-of-drafting-ej-manuel

Whaley is to blame for EJ as much/equally as Nix.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Look at the date of that article. Anything significant happen to Doug in that time frame? And nothing in that article disputes the fact Whaley wasn't in the big-boy chair when the pick was made. It was an organizational pick he was in favor of. He wasn't calling the shots.

Again, facts make rants so much less fun. I know.

maybe you missed this part from the article: "New general manager Doug Whaley isn't shy about taking ownership of the pick"

Yes, because instability and constant changeover has done SOOOO well for the Bills during the past 15 years. So let's keep doing the same thing, over and over and over again! That'll solve it.

There is such a thing as good change. And then there is bad change, which the Bills have made a habit of doing for several years.

At GM the names Levy, Brandon, Nix, and Whaley bear that out. Espeically when combined with the HC decisions and some of their coordinator selections.

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We have a philosophy that the information makes the decision," Whaley explained. "We think that we did enough due diligence and the information pointed us all to this point that EJ would be the guy we feel will take the Buffalo Bills into the future."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/22260855/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-an-integral-part-of-drafting-ej-manuel

No one is saying he bears no responsibility. But he didn't act alone.

One miss, compared to the successes he's had, isn't enough to sink Whaley even if he did (but he didn't) draft EJ all by himself.

is there really dissention at OBD, or is that more media horse flop? too much opinion based upon spiteful vinegar drinking and bile spewing Bills reporters methinks.

Whaley has done a lot for the roster to get to decent. how quickly we forget...

No one is saying he bears no responsibility. But he didn't act alone.

One miss, compared to the successes he's had, isn't enough to sink Whaley even if he did (but he didn't) draft EJ all by himself.

Bills were at the point they absolutely HAD to draft or steal a QB. Fans were screaming! what did Nix say? He would not retire until he got Buffalo a QB? or something to that affect. Ya gotta try.

maybe you missed this part from the article: "New general manager Doug Whaley isn't shy about taking ownership of the pick"

I caught it. I just can understand the rest of the context of the article including the bits about it being a "process" and an organizational decision. But don't let those statements trip up your crusade. It's his first month on the job, trying to assuage any fan fears that he's going to operate like Nix (who was being run out of town by fans at that point) or administrations past -- plus trying to build up the first first round QB taken by the franchise in decades.

It's not difficult to decipher... if you do more than cherry pick the article of course.

There is such a thing as good change. And then there is bad change, which the Bills have made a habit of doing for several years.

At GM the names Levy, Brandon, Nix, and Whaley bear that out. Espeically when combined with the HC decisions and some of their coordinator selections.

There of course is such a thing as good change. You yourself just admitted Whaley's made the teams better yet you want to run him out of town because he hasn't won fast enough. That's a recipe for making a poor decision.

The team JUST underwent an ownership change, followed quickly by an entire coaching staff change and front office reshuffling. They've had less than 12 months, zero time to build any kind of stability within the organization or on the field. No one is arguing Whaley's been perfect (at least I'm not), but he's been far better than any of his recent predecessors especially when you factor in the organizational changes he's had to survive.

Give the guy some time. Change for the sake of change is how you end up being on the outside looking in for 15 years.

Edited by GreggyT

I don't think you can necessarily judge a GM's work by wins and losses, as there's a lot more that goes into it than that.

Assuming Whaley was the guy as of January 2013, his job is to get the FO structure in place, get the scouting system up to (or above) par, get the HC in place, and then outfit the HC with the talent that he wants.

Remember that Marrone wasn't necessarily Whaley's call, and now, 2 years in, Whaley is working with a different HC that has a different vision for the team.

There are a lot of moving parts to the evaluation.

i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you missed this posting a couple of days ago. in his own words: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204027/article/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-integral-in-ej-manuel-pick

I assign responsibility for EJ to Whaley, and I have absolutely zero problem with the pick, even though it's now clear (IMO) that EJ won't be a franchise QB.

Whaley's predecessor(s) failed to draft anyone that had potential to be a franchise QB, passing on guys like Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson, and Foles in 2011 and 2012, and that left the team without anyone in the system. When Brandon took over the team, it was clear that they had to take a swing at a franchise guy, and they took EJ because he was the most physically gifted in a weak crop.

I don't blame them for the move even though it's not going to work out.

I am 34 and have been a Bills fan for 24 years. I live in California and have flown across the country to 3 Bills home games only to see them lose all of it. I've been through all the joys and tribulations since 1990.

The Jaguars game was the most disheartening game I have seen in 24 years.

The root cause of this game and this season has been DOUG WHALEY. He needs to go. He does not care about the team nor the fans. He is selfish and only cares about his ego. Don't we deserve much better as loyal fans?

I petition that during our next home game, we fans create "Fire Doug Whaley" signs and wave them in the stadium for the Pegulas to see.

I rarely post message like this, but I felt a strong conviction to do so, and I hope you as fans can relate.

LETS CREATE "FIRE DOUG WHALEY" SIGNS DURING OUR NEXT HOME GAME.

Thoughts?

absolutely not

Personal opinion I have been a fan since about 1968 & you sir are way off & dead wrong !! Whaley is one of the best things to happen to the Bills in a long time !

He's brought more talent to this team than it has seen since the 90's & before the past 2 years he was hamstrung by Russ Brandon & Buddy Nix .

He has been a leader in bringing the excitement back to the Buffalo Bills & your post shows how much of a rookie you still are when it comes to Bills football !!

If the injury bug hadn't hit as hard as it has this year you would be the guy holding the banner at every game & the one partying so much because of the way the team would be playing at full strength you would be the guy every one would be passing on the way to their cars in the parking lot of the Ralph puking your guts out for over indulging in Bills fandom .

So before you go saying one of the best thing GM's to come along in a long time needs to go at least let the team get back to full health & full strength before you cut the guy lose.

Oh & while your at it let the guys learn the schemes & throw away your Doug Marrone posters !!

Go Bills !!

this