Fire Doug Whaley signs

Rockee96

I don't believe it. Buf if he is on the hot seat it's not because of what he's done but how he's done it. And that's an internal thing that we don't know about at this point. When the Redskins were winning all those Super Bowls, no one had much of a clue that Joe Gibbs didn't get along with the GM, Bobby Beathard. You bring in quality players, as Whaley's done, you need a good coach to make it work. That's where our problem lies.

He has brought in some good players, but nowhere near the extent you'd think reading this board. I can see an argument for giving him another year (although if we end the year with a losing record you won't hear me make it) in light of the upheaval, but if we don't win 9-10 games next year (and I don't mean 8-8 with a gift win) I see no reason to keep him. His job is to build a winner, not assemble a roster of players that looks like they should be good.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 34 and have been a Bills fan for 24 years. I live in California and have flown across the country to 3 Bills home games only to see them lose all of it. I've been through all the joys and tribulations since 1990.

The Jaguars game was the most disheartening game I have seen in 24 years.

The root cause of this game and this season has been DOUG WHALEY. He needs to go. He does not care about the team nor the fans. He is selfish and only cares about his ego. Don't we deserve much better as loyal fans?

I petition that during our next home game, we fans create "Fire Doug Whaley" signs and wave them in the stadium for the Pegulas to see.

I rarely post message like this, but I felt a strong conviction to do so, and I hope you as fans can relate.

LETS CREATE "FIRE DOUG WHALEY" SIGNS DURING OUR NEXT HOME GAME.

Thoughts?

Thoughts:

Dough Whaley has put together top to bottom the most talented team we have seen in years, mabye ever. That is all in good, except one critical piece. That is the QB. Now if Tyrod does not get hurt, who knows what the season is. But i suspect by the nature of his play and his size he is going to be hurt more often than not.

Until the Bills find that guy at the most important position in sports, we can fire every GM, every coach, hire new ones and the outcome will be the same.

He has brought in some good players, but nowhere near the extent you'd think reading this board. I can see an argument for giving him another year (although if we end the year with a losing record you won't hear me make it) in light of the upheaval, but if we don't win 9-10 games next year (and I don't mean 8-8 with a gift win) I see no reason to keep him. His job is to build a winner, not assemble a roster of players that looks like they should be good.

Actually that's all he can do. The rest is up to the coaches.

This is simple IMO...

Compare the talent level on the team now with the talent level when Whaley took over (which is either January of 2013 or after the 2013 draft, depending upon who you believe).

Then decide if Whaley should be fired (hint: no).

well let's also look at where the team is now and where they were when he took over (hint: not much different)

I'm not advocating firing him, I would rather they admit Sexy Rexy was a mistake and cut ties for a guy who can work with what Whaley has already in place for him.

well let's also look at where the team is now and where they were when he took over (hint: not much different)

I'm not advocating firing him, I would rather they admit Sexy Rexy was a mistake and cut ties for a guy who can work with what Whaley has already in place for him.

So you think Whaley has done a good job assembling talent on the roster?

Then it appears we're in full agreement.

:thumbsup:

This is simple IMO...

Compare the talent level on the team now with the talent level when Whaley took over (which is either January of 2013 or after the 2013 draft, depending upon who you believe).

Then decide if Whaley should be fired (hint: no).

Sweat doesn't count, but results do. And despite an increase in talent, they're still only 18-21 in Whaley's 3+ seasons as GM. That sort of track record in a major market gets you fired.

Speaking of the increase in talent, this narrative always appears whenever Whaley is questioned. It's really just sophistry. The starting roster has been improved significantly through free agency with guys like Mario, Clay, Graham, and Incognito. And they signed their eventual starting QB in UFA as well, not to mention acquired a starting RB via trade of another Whaley draft pick, prompting a large contract extension.

The more a team dips into the free agent market the less adept they've been drafting. And only about half of the current starters was acquired via the draft while Whaley was assistant GM or GM.

Sweat doesn't count, but results do. And despite an increase in talent, they're still only 18-21 in Whaley's 3+ seasons as GM. That sort of track record in a major market gets you fired.

Speaking of the increase in talent, this narrative always appears whenever Whaley is questioned. It's really just sophistry. The starting roster has been improved significantly through free agency with guys like Mario, Clay, Graham, and Incognito. And they signed their eventual starting QB in UFA as well, not to mention acquired a starting RB via trade of another Whaley draft pick, prompting a large contract extension.

The more a team dips into the free agent market the less adept they've been drafting. And only about half of the current starters was acquired via the draft while Whaley was assistant GM or GM.

Obviously the results count.

The question as to Whaley's responsibility for the results is at what time was he given full reign? For argument's sake, let's say January 2013, when Brandon took over.

Are they not a significantly more talented team than they were in January of 2013? Is that not Whaley's job?

IIRC, was Rex more of a Pegula hire?

Thoughts:

Dough Whaley has put together top to bottom the most talented team we have seen in years, mabye ever. That is all in good, except one critical piece. That is the QB. Now if Tyrod does not get hurt, who knows what the season is. But i suspect by the nature of his play and his size he is going to be hurt more often than not.

Until the Bills find that guy at the most important position in sports, we can fire every GM, every coach, hire new ones and the outcome will be the same.

I agree with this (except the "maybe ever" part.... we had a pretty good team in the early '90s). I'm not blaming Whaley for our D regressing or the injuries on offense.

IIRC, was Rex more of a Pegula hire?

That was my impression, and who's going to say NO to the new boss/owner? Live and learn..... Edited by Augie

Let's say:

1. Pegs saw much internal struggle between DM and DW over EJ, to the point where DM eventually bailed.

2. Pegs wanted a football czar in here before DM left, because the situation between DM and DW was truly dysfunctional.

3. Pegs is once again witnessing internal struggle between Rex and DW over EJ.

4. Pegs saw EJ's total debacle of a performance in London.

I know for sure #4 is true, and I believe the 1st 3 to be correct as well. Add them all up, and I'm not sure DW is back next year if his contract is up.

Edited by Rico

Actually that's all he can do. The rest is up to the coaches.

There's an element of truth to that only in that Whaley didn't directly hire Rex, but unless the hire was made over his objection (which is possible. I doubt it, but maybe) it's just a convenient cop out and doesn't really hold water.

Plus, he's got a coach who has won in this league without a QB, and an OC who ran top units with the likes of Alex Smith and Kaepernick. Whaley's never accomplished more than a glorified 8-8 season with a coach and QB that quit on him in the immediate aftermath.

To me Whaley looks like a house flipper sizeable remodeling budget who bought a house with a solid foundation but was run down and spared no expense to bring that house up to date with the rest of the houses in the neighborhood. He added great siding, a 50 year roof, hardwood floored, carpeting, etc. But with the centerpiece of the house, the kitchen, he went against conventional wisdom and dropped budget on an unpopular concept he thought was going to come into fashion but didn't. Then he dropped a chunk of his budget on flashy things like a hot tub and outdoor fireplace that look cool but don't really get you much ROI. Then he goes balls out on a super swank master bath that's really cool but has leaky plumbing. Then after spending $80k on renovations decided to skimp on appliances to save a few hundred dollars. Then he puts it on the market at top dollar and blames the realtor when it doesn't sell.

Let's say:

1. Pegs saw much internal struggle between DM and DW over EJ, to the point where DM eventually bailed.

2. Pegs wanted a football czar in here before DM left, because the situation between DM and DW was truly dysfunctional.

3. Pegs is once again witnessing internal struggle between Rex and DW over EJ.

4. Pegs saw EJ's total debacle of a performance in London.

I know for sure #4 is true, and I believe the 1st 3 to be correct as well. Add them all up, and I'm not sure DW is back next year if his contract is up.

Yup!

First off, Bills making the playoffs is a real long shot...not going to happen IMO.

Now on the miracle that they do, Whaley still doesn't have a contract. IMO and the points that you mentioned above (continuous power struggle through different regimes, Pegulas wanting a "czar" etc) I see it turning out like Alex Anthopoulos and the Toronto Blue Jays. Even under this scenario with them making the playoffs I don't see Whaley being back IMO.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

While not perfect or elite - we are drafting, trading, and paying players better these past few years than we have the 10-15 years prior. I think this is mostly due to Whaley.

I think our problems this year are coaching related, not the gm. We have a talented roster, that is because of Whaley.

Signs saying to fire him wouldn't fix the way this team is playing.

They have. I will say they have on a few occasions, however I also think we might be over paying, like Jerry, get me jump off side or get a personal foul, Hughs, and the contract we gave DM, and a few others. Every team hits on some draft picks as well.

- Thanks for your long dedication to the team its been meager times for sure- I have been one since I was 5 , am 44 now and we have had seasons since incubation

- On to your point this is NOT Doug Whaleys fault. He has built a very strong team and didnt hire Rex. Sure some say he was in on the process but the Pegulas had a love fest for Rex. He also didnt draft EJ or Spiller--look to Buddy for that. We were all set to hire Hue Jackson which was the right HC hire or we should of kept Schwartz.

- I wont knock anyones opinion I just dont agree with yours. Rex has been an epic fail ever since hes been a HC. Look to his overall record, handling of QB's, meltdowns, and losses after bye weeks.

It's easy for me to forget that Buddy Nix actually drafted EJ....Whaley was still GM in training, so he's ultimately not the one who drafted him. So I guess I cant blame Whaley for drafting EJ. Thanks for the reminder billsfan.

I am not a NFL scout by any means, during the past couple years, my intuition was that EJ just didn't have what it took to be a QB. There are some basic, fundamental things that were just off about him. Again, this is an observation from a fan. Hindsight is 20/20, but I was hoping that a GM of Whaley's stature would have recognized this too. I shouldn't have made the comment that he doesn't care about the team or the fans - it just baffled my mind that Whaley "overlooked" some very fundamental flaws of EJ that many fans can spot from far away, thus I made that comment in frustration.

Thoughts:

Agreed.