Crowd Sourcing Worst Bills Losses Since 1997

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that 2004 game vs Cleveland. I was watching it at a bar and the place was at a fever pitch hoping that they could knock Cleveland for a loss on their final drive and have them finish the game with 0 yards of total offense. Even now thinking that an NFL team had 17 yards of TOTAL offense in the entire game is unimaginable.

Back in the 1970s the Bills had a game against the Baltimore Colts where IIRC they lost 43-0. They had negative yards passing (due to many sacks) and their net total yards of offense for the game was like 4 yards. You really saw some stinkitude if you were around for some of those teams.

One that has always flown beneath the radar in my mind is San Fran in 2008. We were 6-5 and still very well in the playoff race. The week before we had gotten a big win in KC to get some momentum back after a string of tough losses. In came the sorry Niners led by Mike Singletary at HC and Shaun Hill at QB. We had no excuse to lose this game and yet we completely lay an egg and lose 10-3 missing 2 field goals (one from 40 and one even from 20).

98 season…that game on Sun night then a blown call the following week on Testaverde QB sneak TD (against Seattle I believe) gave the Jets the shot at the division that year. 2 game swing thanks to the zebras.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066379/article/mnf-controversy-recalls-1998s-phantom-touchdown

That Testaverde sneak was really the play that led to instant replay.

Deadspin just linked an article to a Cleveland fan who compiled the worst 100 Browns losses since 1999 with some commentary. It's really funny and very familiar (untimed downs from penalties, losing games in the final seconds, shaky ref calls, collapses in the final seconds, unsung players becoming heroes).

I think with the bye week, we should, for cathartic reasons only, put together our worst losses in some or no particular order. Maybe not 100, but God knows that would be easy, but maybe top 50. And then start a poll to rank.

I'll start it right off: 2004 Pittsburgh 29 Bills 24: In the last game of the season, with the Bills only needing to defeat the Steelers third-stringers AT HOME on an unseasonably warm January in Buffalo to make the playoffs, they let nobody Brian St. Pierre pick up a 4th and 1 late in the 4th quarter, keep a drive alive, waste four more minutes of clock and tack on 3 more points. St. Pierre was 0 for 1 with -3 yards rushing because of the victory kneel downs.

Here's the Browns article: https://subwayrecord.wordpress.com/2015/10/27/every-browns-loss-since-1999-ranked/

That's the winner. Team looked like a juggernaut, on the way to make a deep run in the playoffs, ended up killing TD.

Thanks Drew. :thumbdown:

Let's not forget the loss to Cleveland, 6-3, when Derek Anderson completed only 2 passes but we still lost.

Edwards was pretty bad in that game to. Also another fumble that led to the other team winning as time expired. Think that was on a Roscoe botched punt return.

Back in the 1970s the Bills had a game against the Baltimore Colts where IIRC they lost 43-0. They had negative yards passing (due to many sacks) and their net total yards of offense for the game was like 4 yards. You really saw some stinkitude if you were around for some of those teams.

At that game; painful!

January 1, 1967. if we had won the Bills would have owned Green Bay in SB 1..we simply matched up better than KC

Was at that game too; 10 years old and Jack Kemp was my hero! Rumors surfaced the Bills were over confident and partied hard on New Year's eve.

2009 Oct 11 vs Cleveland. 6-3, quite possibly the ugliest NFL game of the millennium

2005 Jan 02 vs Pittsburgh. All we had to do was beat Pittsburgh's backups and into the playoffs. But our playoff caliber :lol: team got pwnd by the Steelers backups

2007 Oct 8 MNF vs Dallas. Total 4th quarter collapse

2009 Sept 14 MNF @New England. The McKelvin fumble

1999 Music City Mistake. 'nuff said

The hurt goes deeper than 2001, as you all know..

1989 season playoffs...the Ronnie Harmon drop. The Bills had a great team, despite the 9-7 record. The bickering Bills...but nothing brings a teams together like a road playoff win. A year earlier, the 49ers established the belief that a 9-7 team could in fact run the table and win out. Boy, the Bills missed a golden opportunity to lose 5 straight. They could have kick off the streak with a beatdown by that year's SF juggernaut. But they would have done better than Denver in SBXXIV...55-10

Absolute worst was the 2007 home game against the Patriots that the NFL flexed to primetime in hopes that the Bills, after putting up a good showing against the Cowboys on Monday Night earlier in the season, would upset the undefeated Patriots.

Bills got crushed 56-10

Deadspin just linked an article to a Cleveland fan who compiled the worst 100 Browns losses since 1999 with some commentary. It's really funny and very familiar (untimed downs from penalties, losing games in the final seconds, shaky ref calls, collapses in the final seconds, unsung players becoming heroes).

I think with the bye week, we should, for cathartic reasons only, put together our worst losses in some or no particular order. Maybe not 100, but God knows that would be easy, but maybe top 50. And then start a poll to rank.

I'll start it right off: 2004 Pittsburgh 29 Bills 24: In the last game of the season, with the Bills only needing to defeat the Steelers third-stringers AT HOME on an unseasonably warm January in Buffalo to make the playoffs, they let nobody Brian St. Pierre pick up a 4th and 1 late in the 4th quarter, keep a drive alive, waste four more minutes of clock and tack on 3 more points. St. Pierre was 0 for 1 with -3 yards rushing because of the victory kneel downs.

Here's the Browns article: https://subwayrecord.wordpress.com/2015/10/27/every-browns-loss-since-1999-ranked/

To be fair, should have a matching thread - top 50 victories - been some great "ups" with this team, too! Team needs some discipline and they can turn this thing around, but it is up to everyone to hold themselves accountable.