Ryan Taunting Marrone?

Joe Miner

Rex is a salesman full of a lot of bombast that can dazzle in the interview room. But when it comes down to the serious business of coaching he lacks gravitas.

This.

Rex is here for the paycheck. He's a hustla.

Dont we remember when he said "this is my last NFL job?" He is about ready to retire, but he found one more sucker to give him a guaranteed contract. He will not shed one tear if he is fired after this season.

Instead, he will move on to his reality TV show, part II. Because we are already living in Part I.

Every time I see him on TV or read an interview of his, I think to myself "dont you have some tape to go watch?" Or, "What would Belichick be doing with this precious 20 minutes that you just wasted?"

sigh. Fortunately the Pegulas are actually rich enuf to fire him, cut him his ill-gotten $25MM check, and move on to greatness.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sigh. Fortunately the Pegulas are actually rich enuf to fire him, cut him his ill-gotten $25MM check, and move on to greatness.

Not just after a paycheck. He is a media whore who loves the attention. But he is a hustler, conned the Pegulas into that contract.

To move onto greatness there has to be a better coach, that would accept the job, that could be hired to replace Ryan. That plus getting a QB.

Edited by CodeMonkey

This.

Dont we remember when he said "this is my last NFL job?" He is about ready to retire, but he found one more sucker to give him a guaranteed contract. He will not shed one tear if he is fired after this season.

Instead, he will move on to his reality TV show, part II. Because we are already living in Part I.

Every time I see him on TV or read an interview of his, I think to myself "dont you have some tape to go watch?" Or, "What would Belichick be doing with this precious 20 minutes that you just wasted?"

This will be his only "prediction" that was correct.

But again, am I the only one who thinks "dammit, go watch some tape or coach or something" every time I see him on TV?

Belichick's attitude is always "can I go now? I have work to do." "Are we done here? Because i have some actual work to actually do."

I cant be the only one. Especially when we lose. I'm thinking "maybe an extra hour of prep might have helped"

---

Rex is like that old saw about: What do people do when they hit the lotto? They retire. I'm sure Rex wants to save face if possible, but he isnt trying to get better, he isnt trying to learn, and he doesnt have a burning desire to do whatever it takes.

Rex = JaMarcus

Edited by maddenboy

I've still yet to see one example of Ryan or the Bills players saying anything remotely close to " trash talk" before the Pats game. This is something of an urban legend now. And how are some over zealous fans chanting nonsensically " we want Brady" ( he's lost to the Bills maybe twice in his career ) a result of Ryan's supposed trash talk when that game was the week before? And now the Pats were much better than the Bills because the stadium store sold footballs & air pumps? This crap has zero effect on the game on the field. Jets players last week made more " trash" type statements than any Bills did, saying they couldn't wait to play those Pats, and that you prepare for Tom Brady the same way you prepare for Kirk Cousins! Blasphemy, I say. Goodness the Pats must have smoked those silly loudmouth Jets like 100-0 , right? Well, they needed a late 4th Q TD to win. Zero effect. The Bills played like crap and got beat. No more , no less. And, by the way, it's not exactly the same Jets team Ryan coached last year. Their crappy secondary from last season now features future HOF CB Revis, and Cromartie is back as well. Their mediocre WR corps has been overhauled and now Brandon Marshall is the # 1 WR with Eric Decker ( now healthy) at the other WR spot. A nd Fitz, while an average QB, has stabilized the QB spot away from turnover machine Geno Smith. The OL , DL, and RBs are still solid. So it's the same Jets team, just that it's completely different .

Anyone else growing tired of Ryan's bush league antics?

He is not the answer at HC. I don't care how many vehicles he tricks out in Bills colors or how many tattoos he alters to show his loyalty. His teams lack fire and discipline as does he.

GO BILS!!!

I disagree i think he is a good coach he like most other coaches have to look at the big picture & leave their ego's outside !!

If he would have really looked at what the D did last year & had a open mind he would have saw just how good they were & brought either Schwartz on or kept a lot of his scheme in place .

But like all new coaches on new teams they have this ego & have to think that they can do better & completely change every thing instead of playing to the strength of the players & use what has been proven to work !!!

Then you here the excuses like we have heard . Oh we just haven't gotten the scheme down yet or we have to learn what each other is doing & learn how to play off of each other --- B S !!!

Edited by T master

I disagree i think he is a good coach he like most other coaches have to look at the big picture & leave their ego's outside !!

If he would have really looked at what the D did last year & had a open mind he would have saw just how good they were & brought either Schwartz on or kept a lot of his scheme in place .

But like all new coaches on new teams they have this ego & have to think that they can do better & completely change every thing instead of playing to the strength of the players & use what has been proven to work !!!

Then you here the excuses like we have heard . Oh we just haven't gotten the scheme down yet or we have to learn what each other is doing & learn how to play off of each other --- B S !!!

I'm pretty sure Ryan looked at last years D when he was hired. I believe Schwartz was going to be retained and declined to stay on staff? Anyway, the team ran Pettine's system pretty well( maybe not as effective vs run) in '13. He was on Ryan's staff w/ Jets so this scheme was likely similar. Is it not possible to have some growing pains running a new system? ( there have been communication issues at times for example) . Ryan has said after CIN game that there will be changes, and we saw some of that vs JAX. At some point though , players need to make plays and not excuses. Sure, coaches have egos, but mostly they just do what they believe in. That players matter more than scheme. I read an interview with Ryan at the start of the season where he was asked what is the most overrated aspect of football? Ryan's response : coaching. Doesn't sound like the answer of a guy that's too self important to see the big picture.

I've still yet to see one example of Ryan or the Bills players saying anything remotely close to " trash talk" before the Pats game.

Perhaps some have the idea that "trash talking" is all about swearing or belittling someone else. Trash talk can also be subdued and just referencing something like what Ryan said below which is really bravado, brash talk.

“I relish any challenge and this is a big challenge,” Ryan said in a Wednesday press conference. “It is a personal challenge.”

Or

“I mean I’ll take the victory, but shoot he’s going to get what I’ve got and he knows it,” Ryan said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/20868/rex-ryan-bills-players-heat-up-patriots-week-with-trash-talk

Try clicking the link, and actually reading the article.

and this one, http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/09/rex_ryan_buffalo_bills_new_eng.html

http://nesn.com/2015/09/bills-sounding-like-rex-ryan-team-already-talking-smack-about-patriots/

I'll try and simplify this. When an opposing NFL spouts off about anything in even a semblance of derogatory light multiple times, all that bluster, brash talk does is give the opponent bulletin board material. Then the players get involved in all this bravado by spouting off at the mouth instead of letting their play do their talking. The mere fact that anyone is saying anything at all gets hyped up in the media, and again gives the opponent the motivation to do that much better. In every aspect of society people do better when given a strong motivational reason.

Bill Belichick's response to hearing all the hype, trash talk was on a conference call. "I’m sure it will be loud there. It’s loud everywhere. It’s a lot louder when you’re not doing well. If you’re moving the ball and getting first downs and gaining yards that tends to quiet it, and when you’re ahead that quiets it, too. It will be as loud as we allow it to be."

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/20868/rex-ryan-bills-players-heat-up-patriots-week-with-trash-talk

The man downplays things and reprimands his players when they open their mouths about anything. The only player that is allowed to talk is Tom Brady, about all he said was "we'll be there". He down plays his own team while saying what a great team Buffalo is, and has been.

Bottom line to what the OP is saying is that Rex needs to shut his mouth and instead spend that time watching film or game planning. Bill Belichick talks to to media because he has to as its part of his job so he says about the most minimal things he can say. OTOH Rex Ryan loves the spotlight, and panders to it. (To pander is to appease or gratify, and often in a negative, self-serving way.)

If you don't get it, I get it that you just don't get it.

But again, am I the only one who thinks "dammit, go watch some tape or coach or something" every time I see him on TV?

Belichick's attitude is always "can I go now? I have work to do." "Are we done here? Because i have some actual work to actually do."

I cant be the only one. Especially when we lose. I'm thinking "maybe an extra hour of prep might have helped"

---

Rex is like that old saw about: What do people do when they hit the lotto? They retire. I'm sure Rex wants to save face if possible, but he isnt trying to get better, he isnt trying to learn, and he doesnt have a burning desire to do whatever it takes.

Rex = JaMarcus

You realize you have absolutely no idea what Rex's schedule is? And how he prepares and for how long?

You realize you have absolutely no idea what Rex's schedule is? And how he prepares and for how long?

What his schedule is or how time consuming and rigorous it is means little. It's the end result that matters. He can have a stoic Bud Grant style or a loud and bombastic sideline demeanor if he wants to. That isn't what is at the heart of the mounting complaints against him. The team he coaches is one of the most penalized teams in the league. You don't think that coaching matters? His team has a pattern of incurring crushing personal fouls at the most inopportune time. You don't think that coaching is a factor for the its lack of discipline and intelligence.

The Jets are a better team now without RR than they were with him. There is no doubt that additions to the roster are a factor but not the primary factor. They are a better coached team under the more substantive and mature HC, Todd Bowles, than they were under the more colorful personality of Rex.

Rex Ryan's tenure has hardly begun. For me his clown act is already tiresome.

You know what though, he got a 5 year $27.5 million dollar contract, apparently all guaranteed.

I predict no matter what, he will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Yeah, all of these guys are laughing all the way to the bank. Big deal. Marrone is still laughing

I'll drive him there...

This.

That's an interesting take, totally false IMO, but interesting nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure Ryan looked at last years D when he was hired. I believe Schwartz was going to be retained and declined to stay on staff? Anyway, the team ran Pettine's system pretty well( maybe not as effective vs run) in '13. He was on Ryan's staff w/ Jets so this scheme was likely similar. Is it not possible to have some growing pains running a new system? ( there have been communication issues at times for example) . Ryan has said after CIN game that there will be changes, and we saw some of that vs JAX. At some point though , players need to make plays and not excuses. Sure, coaches have egos, but mostly they just do what they believe in. That players matter more than scheme. I read an interview with Ryan at the start of the season where he was asked what is the most overrated aspect of football? Ryan's response : coaching. Doesn't sound like the answer of a guy that's too self important to see the big picture.

Your blinders are blinding you to reality & not just on this subject.

I agree. I do think Rex is a good coach and was actually expecting more of an ego. He said some things at his initial press conference and a couple minor things before the NE game, but I too think that was overblown. But his ego has been in check thus far, not that there has been much to brag about to this point.

I have to imagine he did look at the defense and thought the talent would work in his scheme. But it looks like he really needs to adjust and maybe run a hybrid base D, with some of his exotic looks sprinkled in at times. He really needs to build his D and have the correct players to run his scheme, I don't think he has that here. And I am not saying the Bills don't have talent on D, I am saying these players do not all fit his scheme. And if 1 person isn't on the same page or isn't the right fit, the D as a whole suffers.

At this point, I am not sold on Rex. But I am not dead set against him and will not bash without knowing all the fact like most here. I am disappointed in the 3-4 start, but truly only thought they would be 4-3 at best to this point in the season. It's not over, but it's a bit of a cluster right now. I just hope this team can get healthy and stay healthy and then see what happens. It's not over yet...GO BILLS!!!!

He's our coach. He's a team coach. He told the commentator at halftime last week, "we're coming back." And they did. They should have won that game. EJ blew up and played the worst football I've ever seen from a quarterback.

Whaley's fault for not having a backup QB. I still don't know who our backup QB is. It's ridiculous.

Rex was forced to stick with EJ.

I believe he is the right guy for the Bills. I do.

We've played ok. With all the injuries and playing teams with extra time to prepare.....now that we've got a bye and a pretty level playing field, I think we'll see Rex and the boys shine it up.

In 2000 his ravens defense allowed a total of 23 points in 4 playoff games. he has a superbowl ring from that year.

Didn't the DC from that Raven's team interview for the Bills job 10 years ago. Rex sure gets a lot of credit for his role there. Marvin Lewis has been in Cincy ever since and has some playoff appearances to show for it. He's a pro, and wish him the best. He seems to deserve it. Rex is, unfortunately for the Bills, a true clown.