Derek Carr

Russel Wilson has had 21 games in his career with sub 200 yards passing including many in the 120s and even a 108. Not too worried about looking at stats of a few games and trying to read the tea leaves and predict his future based on them. Consistent, quality, QB play is what we need, not spectacular stats.

You're seriously comparing Russell Wilson to Tyrod Taylor? That's an extremely poor conflation, but I'll play along. Wilson (who hasn't missed a game since his rookie year) has 24 games of less than 200 yards passing out of 63 starts. 15 of those occurred during his rookie or 2nd year, although Seattle is 17-7 in those games. This includes playoffs.

I don't consider Wilson an elite QB on par with Rodgers or Brady. But he's certainly very good.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're seriously comparing Russell Wilson to Tyrod Taylor? That's an extremely poor conflation, but I'll play along. Wilson (who hasn't missed a game since his rookie year) has 24 games of less than 200 yards passing out of 63 starts. 15 of those occurred during his rookie or 2nd year, although Seattle is 17-7 in those games. This includes playoffs.

I don't consider Wilson an elite QB on par with Rodgers or Brady. But he's certainly very good.

Tyrod is in essence in his rookie starting year....yes he has been on NFL squads so he is a experienced rookie

Tyrod is in essence in his rookie starting year....yes he has been on NFL squads so he is a experienced rookie

I figured this rationale was forthcoming.

Aaron Rodgers watched 3 seasons from the sidelines in Green bay. In his "rookie season" of 2008 he threw for 4k+ yards with 28 TD passes versus 13 INT.

That said, I see some good things from Tyrod that he can build on. I just am not ready, given what the team has invested all over the field, to give him an out in the event things continue sliding downhill this season.

I figured this rationale was forthcoming.

Aaron Rodgers watched 3 seasons from the sidelines in Green bay. In his "rookie season" of 2008 he threw for 4k+ yards with 28 TD passes versus 13 INT.

Ummm... Tyrod played 5 games. He's thrown 9 TDs and has 4 Ints. Extrapolated over 16 games that is 28-29 TDs and 13 INTs. He wouldn't have as many yards but he has a better percentage and that doesn't count his running, which is another couple TDs.

In fact, he has about 1100 yards. For 16 games that is 3500. He also has 187 yards rushing. For 16 games that is about 600+ more. Which is 4100.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Yeah, I'm seriously comparing them. Nowhere did I say Taylor was as good, just pointing out that simply having a poor yardage day isn't the end of the world.

Ummm... Tyrod played 5 games. He's thrown 9 TDs and has 4 Ints. Extrapolated over 16 games that is 28-29 TDs and 13 INTs. He wouldn't have as many yards but he has a better percentage and that doesn't count his running, which is another couple TDs.

In fact, he has about 1100 yards. For 16 games that is 3500. He also has 187 yards rushing. For 16 games that is about 600+ more. Which is 4100.

Not really interested in hypotheticals at this point. My point earlier was that Wilson has been, despite his style of play, durable. Tyrod has not been that. At least not yet.

The other concept lost on this board is that as teams get tape on Buffalo, they typically aren't able to match early season results. And that goes for both individual players and sides of the ball. I certainly hope Taylor returns and continues to play well, but it'll be the mark of how much he improves and how the staff game-plans around their weaknesses.

If we're talking statistics, Taylor's play fell off since the Week 1 win. His yards per attempt fell from 10.3 in week 1 to 6.4 and to me that is one of the more defining metric of how well a QB is playing.

I saw a stat the other day that stated Cam has been his 3 times as much as any other QB in the past 3 (or was it 4?) years. Those hits are going to take their toll at some point, no matter how big he is. Unless they change the way he's used he is going to have a serious drop off much earlier than most QBs. They should enjoy it while they can.

Plus breaking his back in the car accident.

I still believe it was how they had mismanaged the spot prior to 2013 rather than in 2013 and 2014 that has left them in this position. For me they have to draft a Quarterback early this year. It doesn't HAVE to be a 1st... but a 1st or 2nd should be spent at the position in my view if there is a guy there you think is worth a shot. Get a Quarterback and a left tackle first two pick please.

Pretty much, This. Tyrod Taylor may work out - or he may not. People seem to have short memories that he was failing to spot open guys esp. over the middle of the field, throwing some drive-killing INTs and taking drive-killing sacks vs. stepping up into the pocket and/or throwing it away - some of the same mistakes EJ made. I like Willie and when he's hot, I'm screamin!.

But I would like to see another QB in the hopper, please.

For too long this team has been about thinking we have the right guy on the roster if he only takes a step. The real mistake was waiting until 2013 to draft a QB rather than taking one in 2011 or 2012.