If Cassel plays decently, is that it for Whaley?

What is he supposed to say? This is a guy who reportedly tried to hire polian 10 short months ago.

You can never tell for sure what a coach or GM or owner really thinks by what he says in public. Granted. But you can tell a lot by how they say things. I think I am fairly good at that, since it is my job to parse words. I also read a lot about Pegula and how he does business. He didn't really know Whaley when the Polian thing happened. And then Pegula spent about three straight weeks with Whaley during the coach search and they got very close and both Pegulas really ended up really liking him.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But without the slip he's not there. Still, he stared him down. Terrible play but not pick six or even INT without the slip.

It's possible that Smith still would have ignored Clay even if he didn't fall because EJ telegraphed it so bad. I'm not exonerating him for staring down the WR. It was awful. Smith just ignored Clay right away and went right for the ball because he was reading EJ. If Clay got off clean i still think Smith covers him, that was clearly his man, and doesn't make the quick break he makes on the ball.

Looks to me as if Clay was covered by Posluszny.

Jaguars Telvin Smith picks off Bills EJ Manuel for a pick six (0:53)

You can never tell for sure what a coach or GM or owner really thinks by what he says in public. Granted. But you can tell a lot by how they say things. I think I am fairly good at that, since it is my job to parse words. I also read a lot about Pegula and how he does business. He didn't really know Whaley when the Polian thing happened. And then Pegula spent about three straight weeks with Whaley during the coach search and they got very close and both Pegulas really ended up really liking him.

Like I said, we'll see. If they continue on the current trajectory and end up 7-9/8-8, there will undoubtedly be changes. For once, a losing or 8-8 season is simply unacceptable (a good thing, I think). Rex won't be the one to go, however.

Like I said, we'll see. If they continue on the current trajectory and end up 7-9/8-8, there will undoubtedly be changes. For once, a losing or 8-8 season is simply unacceptable (a good thing, I think). Rex won't be the one to go, however.

I would seriously doubt there'd be changes at the HC or GM position.

There's really no point to do it either, other than repeating the musical chairs games of the past.

We need a good QB period.

We may have one, but he is currently injured and doesn't have a healthy supporting cast.

That's really it.

Looks to me as if Clay was covered by Posluszny.

Jaguars Telvin Smith picks off Bills EJ Manuel for a pick six (0:53)

That was well after the fall and they were obviously playing zone. Smith was lined up right across from Clay who fell or was knocked over immediately. He surely was Smith's man and not Poz's right off the bat. But he almost immediately ignored Clay when he fell. Again, it's possible that he was reading EJ so much he would have ignored Clay anyway but I doubt it.

That was well after the fall and they were obviously playing zone. Smith was lined up right across from Clay who fell or was knocked over immediately. He surely was Smith's man and not Poz's right off the bat. But he almost immediately ignored Clay when he fell. Again, it's possible that he was reading EJ so much he would have ignored Clay anyway but I doubt it.

This is what I'm thinking. He was looking at EJ the whole way as EJ stared down Woods.

He was but guys do that all the time on the snap when the player who is their man is right across from them, then they pick up their man. If Clay comes clean he goes to Clay.

You could very well be correct, but as we have discussed EJ made it easy for him.

qb passer rating today

EJ - 75.3

MC - 62.3

I was all ready to come eat crow for all my Cassel bashing, but then he totally bailed me out. He sucked worse than EJ and gave me the best told you so moment at a party. A room full of cowboy fans, 4th and 8 with the game in the balance I told everyone Cassel would throw it short to an RB who had zero chance of the first. On cue the ball was snapped and Cassel did exactly this. EJ sucks because he's mistake prone. He's the guy in the bar who hits on EVERY girl and as a result has a 1 for 50 ratio, while Cassel is the gutless chicken who never asks a single girl and always goes home a loser.

You could very well be correct, but as we have discussed EJ made it easy for him.

It was a horrific play by EJ regardless. I don't know if I have ever seen a player make ten plus TERRIBLE throws and ten plus great or very good throws. No one would make that trade off of course, which is why overall he had a terrible game. The TD he missed on third down on the Gragg series was insanely bad. And then he threw two great long TDs, and without the fumble or the phantom interference we are talking about one of the best comebacks ever.

I was all ready to come eat crow for all my Cassel bashing, but then he totally bailed me out. He sucked worse than EJ and gave me the best told you so moment at a party. A room full of cowboy fans, 4th and 8 with the game in the balance I told everyone Cassel would throw it short to an RB who had zero chance of the first. On cue the ball was snapped and Cassel did exactly this.

EJ sucks because he's mistake prone. He's the guy in the bar who hits on EVERY girl and as a result has a 1 for 50 ratio, while Cassel is the gutless chicken who never asks a single girl and always goes home a loser.

This analogy is apt and made me laugh. Well done.

It was a horrific play by EJ regardless. I don't know if I have ever seen a player make ten plus TERRIBLE throws and ten plus great or very good throws. No one would make that trade off of course, which is why overall he had a terrible game. The TD he missed on third down on the Gragg series was insanely bad. And then he threw two great long TDs, and without the fumble or the phantom interference we are talking about one of the best comebacks ever.

That's why he's so maddening. You see that he can make NFL throws and then follows that with major clunkers. You just cannot know what you'll get from play to play.

I was all ready to come eat crow for all my Cassel bashing, but then he totally bailed me out. He sucked worse than EJ and gave me the best told you so moment at a party. A room full of cowboy fans, 4th and 8 with the game in the balance I told everyone Cassel would throw it short to an RB who had zero chance of the first. On cue the ball was snapped and Cassel did exactly this. EJ sucks because he's mistake prone. He's the guy in the bar who hits on EVERY girl and as a result has a 1 for 50 ratio, while Cassel is the gutless chicken who never asks a single girl and always goes home a loser.

Missed one point in the analogy, while he may get 1 of 50 girls he hit on, EJ will get a pounding from the girls boyfriend on at least five of those tries.

That's why he's so maddening. You see that he can make NFL throws and then follows that with major clunkers. You just cannot know what you'll get from play to play.

Yep. I have all but totally given up on him. The only thing is is that clearly when he doesn't set his feet he is really bad. Almost always on his bad passes you can see him not set. Once in awhile he will miss anyway but almost always it is a breakdown in his mechanics and feet. That's a teachable thing. The staring down is also teachable although some guys just never learn. I don't think fans realize how many times good QBs do that too but EJ is horrendous sometimes. There is very little chance he is ever a good QB.

Pretty much...

This team will be lucky to finish 8-8...

They didn't have Antonio Brown, Decastro and Gilbert?

From everything that Pegula has said, he loves Whaley.

Issue in my mind is that Whaley has chosen one and now possibly two poor coaches for this franchise. Its not just abouy buikding a roster. And one without a good QB. Coaches matter big time.

At what point does the Teflon wear off of Whaley?