Matthew Stafford

jkirchofer

Yeah, and it's not like either of them have been to the playoffs. Oh, wait ...

Always amazes me how Bills fans disparage other team's QBs when we haven't had anyone of that quality since Bledsoe. Not saying I love Stafford, but beggars can't be choosers.

I agree. He'll be the next $100mm man and I cant see Detroit trading him.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have there been any rumblings about the possibility of trading for Stafford? Mort & Schefter of ESPN report that he could be available if the Lions want to make a move towards the future. He has no guaranteed money past this year and although comes with a hefty price tag is a franchise quarterback with proven numbers. Thoughts?

I see him as Drew Bledsoe when the Bills got him. He looks pretty until he absolutely needs to perform and then it's "Oops". No thanks!

If they don't want him.... I'm guessing that we don't want him either

Not necessarily. We're at a different point in the competitive cylcle. If the Lions are smart, they'll realize that their run is ending. They may be in denial because Stafford, Suh, Johnson & Co. never took them to the promised land, but the fact is they're past their peak. The Bills, on the other hand, are built to win now. Which so far, they're not doing. So if we go 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs (or even if we sneak in but go one and out), it only makes sense to explore other ways of getting over the hump. I thin there's a fair amount of denial here too. This club is loaded (IF healthy, and with decent QB play) now and probably next year, but with tons of guaranteed money to aging players from 2017 on it won't be pretty. As George Allen used to say, the future is now.

would have to dump 4 or 5 starters to get him...Gilmore, Bradham, Mario probably.... you willing to do that? ever hear of that nasty little think called the salary cap? nah, i'll take TT over Stafford in today's NFL

Or try to win with a cheapo QB. the rest of the year will tell us where we stand with that. Right now, I'm not optimistic. Not because TT hasn't played well enough. He has (just barely). But because so far he hasn't shown much value unless he's willing to run, and of course, he's on the road to proving his critics right that if he runs often and aggressively he isn't likely to stay healthy enough to pin your hopes on.

Yeah, and it's not like either of them have been to the playoffs. Oh, wait ...

Always amazes me how Bills fans disparage other team's QBs when we haven't had anyone of that quality since Bledsoe. Not saying I love Stafford, but beggars can't be choosers.

Or maybe it's just easier for other teams in weaker divisions and conferences to make the playoffs?

Not necessarily. We're at a different point in the competitive cylcle. If the Lions are smart, they'll realize that their run is ending. They may be in denial because Stafford, Suh, Johnson & Co. never took them to the promised land, but the fact is they're past their peak. The Bills, on the other hand, are built to win now. Which so far, they're not doing. So if we go 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs (or even if we sneak in but go one and out), it only makes sense to explore other ways of getting over the hump. I thin there's a fair amount of denial here too. This club is loaded (IF healthy, and with decent QB play) now and probably next year, but with tons of guaranteed money to aging players from 2017 on it won't be pretty. As George Allen used to say, the future is now.

Or try to win with a cheapo QB. the rest of the year will tell us where we stand with that. Right now, I'm not optimistic. Not because TT hasn't played well enough. He has (just barely). But because so far he hasn't shown much value unless he's willing to run, and of course, he's on the road to proving his critics right that if he runs often and aggressively he isn't likely to stay healthy enough to pin your hopes on.

he is what, 25 ..and they would be willing to get rid of him so they can tank? Rebuild? No, he's young enough that they can add a few players, change coaches, etc and make another playoff run if he's is indeed a franchise QB. Because it is way too hard to find those guys - if they already have the most important piece they will not let him go, they will add players around him. If he's not that guy... then he's not going to help us either. Edited by YoloinOhio

The reason the Lions would part ways with Stafford is because he will be owed a lot of money over the next two seasons, money they could use to rebuild. It's not guaranteed money so that would make it a little easier to trade him. He needs a change of scenery and I would take a quarterback with a 5000 yard season under his belt who is only 27 years old over anything we have know.

I see him as a upgrade between the Jay Cutler - Philip Rivers level... I would rather have rivers but going below that line of talent I think stafford is next...he never really had a solid running game, again he has had Johnson his whole career....

I like Tyrod for sure and it's way too early to rule him out as the future. I like Stafford too but it would just be too complicated to accomplish acquiring him.

Let's just hope that in 2 years we're in a tough situation having to re-sign Tyrod for all the right reasons.

Have there been any rumblings about the possibility of trading for Stafford? Mort & Schefter of ESPN report that he could be available if the Lions want to make a move towards the future. He has no guaranteed money past this year and although comes with a hefty price tag is a franchise quarterback with proven numbers. Thoughts?

he has all the Tools but just doesn't seem to get it done. They would want a lot for him so I would say no