Players asking to be used differently (Sammy, DL)

johnwalter

Last week, Sammy demands more targets via the media. It works: in the Cincinnati game, Watkins' targets clearly increase. The DL takes note, and now Mario and Marcell are demanding to rush the passer more via the media. We will see if their wishes are granted this week vs Jacksonville.

What do you think, how should Rex handle scheme-change requests from players who feel they're being used incorrectly?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were Rex, I would take it very seriously both privately and publically. I would let them know that the first priority is winning the games, and their beliefs will be taken into account on how they should be used insofar as they coincide with the game plan. The coaches will continue to review throughout the season and their input and, hopefully, ensuing production is valued very highly.

"And things like that"

It would be better if the players made their views known behind closed doors.

It is then easier for a coach to make a change without looking like he just capitulates to player griping.

That said, one should evaluate each case on its individual merits.

Imo, both Watkins and Mario and Marcell have good points.

Of course, Watkins has to be able to stay healthy, but he should be targeted more.

As for the D-line, last year was more impressive, wasn't it?

I wrote in another thread, it seems to me exotic schemes are often designed to make up for lack of superior talent.

We have the talent, but its not showing up enough on the field.

If it's not the players, its the coaching.

Of course I trust that the DL knows what they're talking about, but I don't think there's anyway that we can instantly change the scheme to produce more sacks.

It appears that New England provided the formula to the rest of the league and that's to hurry up, snap the ball and make quick short passes. We need a totally different angle to beat teams that are doing this, and I think last week Rex made an effort. If blitzing and rushing defenders is useless when the ball gets out quick, then I think he was right to think that dropping into coverage would help. Unfortunately, the Bengals really beat us by running the ball late, and we had poor execution on 3rd downs (mostly unrelated to scheme in my opinion) which are whole different issues altogether.

I think people are a little overblown with ridiculing Rex and his scheme, and I think every time we face a bad QB we will destroy them. Time will tell, and I hope that they can make the necessary adjustments to get the DE's to the QB, but it does seem as though the defense needs to figure out how to beat the quick pass.

Isn't the quick short pass a staple of the West Coast offense?

What is different about what is being done now?

It would seem an obvious antidote to a great pass rushing team.

Why didn't it seem to work last year against us? Did no one think to use it?

Further, how come our offense can't do what others are doing to us?

Maybe I am naive about this. Does it really take a superior qb to make the quick pass offense work?

Last week, Sammy demands more targets via the media. It works: in the Cincinnati game, Watkins' targets clearly increase. The DL takes note, and now Mario and Marcell are demanding to rush the passer more via the media. We will see if their wishes are granted this week vs Jacksonville.

What do you think, how should Rex handle scheme-change requests from players who feel they're being used incorrectly?

I really hope the results aren't similar. We can't afford to lose Mario and Marcell for half of the game

I don't know what Rex is doing. He says it's the players scheme, not his. That's BS. I don't know if it's his ego or what, but he's bringing down the defense.

“Hey, like [Williams] said, they pay us a lot of money,” Dareus said, via Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports. “And we want to use our talents the best way we know how. If we’re going to be dropping we don’t want to get questions about not getting sacks. That’s just how it is.

“It’s not been a lot of times where there have been all four of us, full tilt, ears pinned back and we’re going after it. We haven’t had a lot of that this year. Hopefully Rex is going to implement it. There’s nothing we can do.”

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-rex-ryan-responds-criticism-defensive-schemes-102115

That is literally what the front four does best, pin their ears back and attack.

Get your head out of your ass Rex.

Edited by elroy16

Isn't the quick short pass a staple of the West Coast offense?

What is different about what is being done now?

It would seem an obvious antidote to a great pass rushing team.

Why didn't it seem to work last year against us? Did no one think to use it?

Further, how come our offense can't do what others are doing to us?

Maybe I am naive about this. Does it really take a superior qb to make the quick pass offense work?

I don't know. I think a lot has to do with pre-snap reads and understanding exactly who will be open quickly.

keep in mind if Mario dropped into pass coverage and got an INT it would be hailed as a brilliant move by the coaches.

My question did the Bills over invest $ into a DL that a good QB can minimize with quick throws?

Did you see the Giants vd eagles on Monday night. If you did you wouldn't asking that question

I know stats lie, but this defense that supposedly got gashed held the Bengals to:

66 Total yards below their non-Bills average including 54 pass yards below and 12 rush yards below.

Since you brought up stats, I can't find league stats for batted passes. I'm curious where our front 4 stand in that regard because I honestly can't remember a single one this season.

I agree, we should let Sammy play on the DL

awww shucks, every guy says it! Craig Urbik wants to zone block... it's no big deal!

I loved the Rex hire, but I'm worried that we got the elderly, calm Rex.

I liked the rage filled, vulgarity spewing, monster who had defenses that played like raiding savages.

All of a sudden Rex and his defenses are meek and wimpy. WTF?!

I know stats lie, but this defense that supposedly got gashed held the Bengals to:

66 Total yards below their non-Bills average including 54 pass yards below and 12 rush yards below.

that stat is misleading because of the average starting field position of the Bengals. The stat I care about is giving up 34 freaking points. Dalton is not Brady, he's not better than Eli Manning, who the Eagles pressured. If you want to go drop back to take away the short passing game, it makes sense, but only against Brady.

that stat is misleading because of the average starting field position of the Bengals. The stat I care about is giving up 34 freaking points. Dalton is not Brady, he's not better than Eli Manning, who the Eagles pressured. If you want to go drop back to take away the short passing game, it makes sense, but only against Brady.

Andy Dalton has been a superior quarterback to Eli this year!