Players asking to be used differently (Sammy, DL)

johnwalter

that stat is misleading because of the average starting field position of the Bengals. The stat I care about is giving up 34 freaking points. Dalton is not Brady, he's not better than Eli Manning, who the Eagles pressured. If you want to go drop back to take away the short passing game, it makes sense, but only against Brady.

Um. He is most definitely better than Eli.

And he has better running backs than Eli, better tight ends and better receivers too.

Also a better defense.

So...?

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you brought up stats, I can't find league stats for batted passes. I'm curious where our front 4 stand in that regard because I honestly can't remember a single one this season.

one In the Bengals game. And ive been looking for it all season. Im at the game screaming GET YOUR HANDS UP!! It was ridiculous!

that stat is misleading because of the average starting field position of the Bengals. The stat I care about is giving up 34 freaking points. Dalton is not Brady, he's not better than Eli Manning, who the Eagles pressured. If you want to go drop back to take away the short passing game, it makes sense, but only against Brady.

Dalton has been a much better QB than Eli so far this year. He's second in the league in passing and undefeated. He put up 27 pts and 331 Yards on the Seahawks D at full strength.

Of course I trust that the DL knows what they're talking about, but I don't think there's anyway that we can instantly change the scheme to produce more sacks.

It appears that New England provided the formula to the rest of the league and that's to hurry up, snap the ball and make quick short passes. We need a totally different angle to beat teams that are doing this, and I think last week Rex made an effort. If blitzing and rushing defenders is useless when the ball gets out quick, then I think he was right to think that dropping into coverage would help. Unfortunately, the Bengals really beat us by running the ball late, and we had poor execution on 3rd downs (mostly unrelated to scheme in my opinion) which are whole different issues altogether.

I think people are a little overblown with ridiculing Rex and his scheme, and I think every time we face a bad QB we will destroy them. Time will tell, and I hope that they can make the necessary adjustments to get the DE's to the QB, but it does seem as though the defense needs to figure out how to beat the quick pass.

you beat the quick pass with bump and run coverage from your corners. Its all about timing. The corners have to check the wrs hard at the line. That knocks the timing off. But one has to ask, how long will it take our front four to get there? I believe playing aggressive bump and run coverage will make the difference.

The d just cant let the o dictate the game. They need to play more aggressive imo. I agree with the players on this one.

Also, given that the Bengals have a very potent offense and given that you've acknowledged what gracious field position they got from us all day, exactly what kind of point total do you think would have been realistic from this defense?

Oh really?

ZTYcO5s.pngStats through 6 games.

That's actually very interesting. Thanks. Obviously, rush yards/play jumps out for being so different, while the others jump out for being so similar. Makes me wonder how sacks and turnovers compare, both key stats. Yeah, I'm too lazy and/or busy to look. OK, lazy it is...

Yes really.

Does that points per game account for the picks 6s threw last year through 6 games?

Our ppg through 6 games last year was probably around 17. Nevertheless, I don't need stats to see the defense isn't as good as last years so far.

Through six games, we threw 2 pick sixes.

So take 14 points off or 2 off the ppg. so 18 vs. 23.

You said they didn't look similar.

Stats say otherwise.

That's actually very interesting. Thanks. Obviously, rush yards/play jumps out for being so different, while the others jump out for being so similar. Makes me wonder how sacks and turnovers compare, both key stats. Yeah, I'm too lazy and/or busy to look. OK, lazy it is...

Yes, now to that point, keep in mind that those are NET pass yards per play, which count negative yards per sack, driving last year's down significantly, compared to this year's, which is already lower.

Edited by The Big Cat

It is starting to look this might be the case

keep in mind if Mario dropped into pass coverage and got an INT it would be hailed as a brilliant move by the coaches.

My question did the Bills over invest $ into a DL that a good QB can minimize with quick throws?

it is starting to look this way. At this point in the season, I don't see any making the pro bowl.at this point in the season.

I know stats lie, but this defense that supposedly got gashed held the Bengals to:

66 Total yards below their non-Bills average including 54 pass yards below and 12 rush yards below.

Any glimmer of light huh?

The only team that the Bengals scored more on was KC by two points. 34 to 21 While the Bills managed to take out AJ Green, Tyler Eifert to a degree. The Bengals still put up 355 yards of offense, and Dalton threw for 3 TD's, no INT's.

The Bills lost in all three aspects of that game, and the Bengals had the better offense, defense, and special teams. Then the Bills had 8 penalties for 93 yards vs 3 for 20 yards. One team was a well disciplined solid team that made few mistakes, and the other team was Buffalo.

I know stats lie, but this defense that supposedly got gashed held the Bengals to:

66 Total yards below their non-Bills average including 54 pass yards below and 12 rush yards below.

Likely because they had short fields the entire first half. You can't wrack up lots of yards when you only have to go 45 yards to score a TD.

I think he should ask them to come in on their day off and view film with coaches for as many hours as coaches do it.

This is an honestly excellent answer.

afresh set of eyes in the coaching room might do wonders. and that works both ways. It works when cross training highly skilled employees who who you want to take ownership. and opens some eyes to how the Other half lives. Regardless of the venture!

Right. Some of us believe the offense was to blame.

I blame the ST more for the field position than the offense. ST penalties combined with good returns put them at midfield time and time again.

It is starting to look this might be the case

it is starting to look this way. At this point in the season, I don't see any making the pro bowl.at this point in the season.

not to be a smart ass but how about Darby and Gilmore getting some PB votes?

scheme shifted. another way to skin the cat.

aint workin' right now , I would prefer none of them get to the PB and we win out the season. I think you do too? But i agree. They sure have not had me dancing any jigs this year. Maybe when Mario upended whathis name, or when Kyle pressured for an INT. or Dareus stuffing that run. But aint nuthin like last year, and maybe the year before under Rexs apprentice

I blame the ST more for the field position than the offense. ST penalties combined with good returns put them at midfield time and time again.

Offense went three and out four times in a row. Failed to move the ball 10+ yards on four straight possesions.

ST was pretty lousy, but it wasn't as if they were kicking from their own 40.

Oh really?

ZTYcO5s.png

Stats through 6 games.

While those stats are interesting and show that they are capable of consistently playing well there are some stats that are disturbing.

They're giving up 21.3 first downs a game which ranks them 21st in the NFL and they're allowing 3rd downs to be converted at a rate of 38% which ranks them 17th in the league. Compare that to last year when they allowed 18.9 first downs per game (which ranked 5th) and allowed 3rd downs to be converted at a 33% clip - good for 1st in the league.

Both the 1st downs and the 3rd down conversion rate is directly tied to negative plays (read: sacks.) If they were in better down and distance situations they wouldn't be allowing so many conversions. It doesn't help much that you're allowing fewer yards per play when you can't get off the field and teams use short yardage plays to move up and down the field.

Any glimmer of light huh?

The only team that the Bengals scored more on was KC by two points. 34 to 21 While the Bills managed to take out AJ Green, Tyler Eifert to a degree. The Bengals still put up 355 yards of offense, and Dalton threw for 3 TD's, no INT's.

The Bills lost in all three aspects of that game, and the Bengals had the better offense, defense, and special teams. Then the Bills had 8 penalties for 93 yards vs 3 for 20 yards. One team was a well disciplined solid team that made few mistakes, and the other team was Buffalo.

Well, i can see your viewpoint. But the games offer great parity. excepting NE** because they cheat.

The ST lost the game. and Brooks had the big penalty while on ; special teams. hard to win that way. Kickers were fine coverage and returned sucked prunes. bad really bad, and it started a couple weeks ago. the sucking bt STs. cuz they suck.

Offense went three and out four times in a row. Failed to move the ball 10+ yards on four straight possesions.

ST was pretty lousy, but it wasn't as if they were kicking from their own 40.

The ST play had the Bills pinned inside their 20 with bad decisions to fair catch the ball inside the 10 and negated great punts by getting penalty after penalty. The sad thing is that the offense was the best unit on the field last Sunday even with those 3 and outs.