Players asking to be used differently (Sammy, DL)

johnwalter

I agree that the Pats and Cinci have two of the best Os in the league. I am also aware that both teams scored more against the Bills than in any other game this year. So every other team has done a better job at keeping the points down.

Look, I think the Bills D will be fine too but I believe it has more to do with them getting the kinks worked out in a new scheme than I do in trying to convince myself theyve been good so far and the only thing holding them back is the high quality opponents.

Okay, but both the Pats and Bengals had gift-wrapped field position through long portions of the first half. So the Bills held them to fewer yards, but gave up more points. Does this come as a surprise to anyone? At best the D gets an 'incomplete' because of the difficult field position foisted upon them by the offense and ST. At best.

I don't think anyone is convinced they're great. But they also haven't been awful. And they also haven't been measurably worse than where they were at this time last year. Don't think that because I argued the latter two points that I intended to argue that they were great.

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that the Patriots and Bengals have two of the best offenses in the league but wasn't our defense supposed to be among the best in the league?

They got pummeled in both games and field position wasn't an issue in the 2nd half when the bengals marched 80 and 90 yards to score on their first 2 drives in the 3rd quarter.

It's not an excuse as much as some people want it to be.

I don't know about you but I didn't expect any team to march up and down the field on our defense and make it look as easy the bengals did Sunday.

Question: should our defense--in their second and sixth games--have been expected to shut down the league's best offenses?

The answer I've provided self times now: In an ideal world, sure. But I'm not infuriated that things haven't worked out perfectly.