How useless is Percy Harvin?

Yes. 1 year cheap rental.

6 million is not a cheap rental but yeah the Bills can get out of it after one year. Bills never had to give up any assets (players or draft picks) either. The funny thing is that the McCoy acquisition is going to do more damage to the Bills than Harvin.

Harvin is a bad signing no doubt but it will have little to no affect on what the front office will be able to do going forward.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 million is not a cheap rental but yeah the Bills can get out of it after one year. Bills never had to give up any assets (players or draft picks) either. The funny thing is that the McCoy acquisition is going to do more damage to the Bills than Harvin.

Harvin is a bad signing no doubt but it will have little to no affect on what the front office will be able to do going forward.

That's what makes it cheap. The real cost of contracts is always gtd money and length.

The scoop on Harvin before the year was that he was a highly talented player who couldn't get along with teammates. This year he apparently has been just fine in the locker room, and he started the year playing well. The last couple of games, not so much, and it could be he's been playing hurt. Saying he was useless is not fair. He did what was asked (got his personality issues under control), learned the offense, was ready to go, and demonstrated what he could do. Then, and this is of course the first time it's ever happened to an NFL player, he got hurt and can't play as well.

If he's worried about being 45 and not being able to get out of bed due to long-term effects of playing hurt, then good for him. The reward for being such an exceptional athlete should be a long and happy life, not a miserable pain-filled existence thinking about a few great years when he was younger.

At the start of the year the Bills O skill positions looked outstanding, the line looked improved, and the only question was QB. Now the skill positions are looking pretty limited -- a less-than-healthy McCoy, no Watkins, no Harvin, no Karlos, no McRib. The only bright spots are Clay and a pretty-good McCoy. The line is not great but is as advertised -- much improved. To everyone's surprise, we found a decent QB, but even he's hurt. So no wonder the O is more like Eh. But you can't blame players for getting hurt playing a violent game.

Edited by Utah John

The scoop on Harvin before the year was that he was a highly talented player who couldn't get along with teammates. This year he apparently has been just fine in the locker room, and he started the year playing well. The last couple of games, not so much, and it could be he's been playing hurt. Saying he was useless is not fair. He did what was asked (got his personality issues under control), learned the offense, was ready to go, and demonstrated what he could do. Then, and this is of course the first time it's ever happened to an NFL player, he got hurt and can't play as well.

If he's worried about being 45 and not being able to get out of bed due to long-term effects of playing hurt, then good for him. The reward for being such an exceptional athlete should be a long and happy life, not a miserable pain-filled existence thinking about a few great years when he was younger.

this. as far as we know, all of this.

The scoop on Harvin before the year was that he was a highly talented player who couldn't get along with teammates.

That was only half the scoop. The other half stated that he couldn't stay healthy.

That was only half the scoop. The other half stated that he couldn't stay healthy.

And for anyone who has watched him closely over the last couple of years is not the best route runner. He wasn't thrown out of Seattle just because he wasn't mates with Wilson.... his play on the field was bad too when he wasn't hurt.

Opportunity costs, my friends. Harvin + McCoy + Clay? We're talking real money.

I know that the guaranteed portion is as the name implies "guaranteed" and cannot be taken away. However, with his history of injuries and off the field antics, don't you think they would have included some covenants in his contract regarding the guaranteed portion of his pay. Also, if a player retires half way through the season and does not fulfill the terms of the original contract, I have to think that at a minimum, this would go to arbitration?

Edited by Flutie Flakes

YES LET'S FIND SOMEONE TO DESTROY

done.

I staff a call center and have to factor in vacation, sick days, and FMLA into staffing models. I almost think the Bills should start taking that approach at the WR spot. Let's see, we average losing 50% of projected labor annually. So if we want 5 WR and full productivity we need 10 WR over the entire year.

I dont understand why he cant just be fired.

You cant make it to work.

yur fired.

Its a great motivator i noticed in my personnel/ staffing model.

And for anyone who has watched him closely over the last couple of years is not the best route runner. He wasn't thrown out of Seattle just because he wasn't mates with Wilson.... his play on the field was bad too when he wasn't hurt.

The WR coached loves him. that guy from the Jets.

I think looked pretty good to me for us. He blocked too.

Was worth the risk. Sucks he aint healthy for us. sucks he aint healthy for him. like i said risk and reward. He has been playing hurt for who knows how long? but he got paid. seem his bet was good. Whaleys, not so much. shame though kid can play ball.

The only thing worse than an overpaid WR is an overpaid WR who spends more time on the injury list than on the field. What were the terms of his contract? Is it an easy out next year?

You mean the WR that despite injuries leads all WRs in receptions on the Bills and actually as a very friendly contract? Lol...this board is just one witch hunt after another, and as usual, very misguided.

Yes, it sucks he's hurt, but so is the rest of our offense. He was pretty useful on the field, and quite frankly, our entire offense is pretty useless without Harvin and Sammy on it.

Percy is fantastic to have on the team, but he is not a reliable fixture of the offense. Everyone knew this about him. It would be a non-issue if Sammy were healthy. Percy is supposed to be the icing...if you are looking for whole cake you can't really blame him.

And as others have already said, it's ironic that he's the closest to being the whole cake out of anyone.

Edited by Rex'sOffense

Hated this pickup from the start. Immediately saw this as Rex insanity. Too many capable players who deserve to play. I'm no Hogan lover but he's better than Harvin, he plays and his routes are better. Same with Woods. Not as flashy, not the upside but you can count on what they bring to the table. You don't even know if Harvin will be at the table.

Hated this pickup from the start. Immediately saw this as Rex insanity. Too many capable players who deserve to play. I'm no Hogan lover but he's better than Harvin, he plays and his routes are better. Same with Woods. Not as flashy, not the upside but you can count on what they bring to the table. You don't even know if Harvin will be at the table.

What!? Harvin is way more dangerous and puts way more stress on defense than Hogan. I'm glad we have Hogan for exactly the situation we are in, and there is an argument about durability that can be made against Percy (especially in Macro terms considering the cumulative durability of Percy, Sammy, and Goodwin combines is terrible) but that doesn't mean Percy should be gone for Hogan. It mean Percy should be gone for someone better than Hogan who can stay healthy more. If we absolutely had to choose between Woods or Percy I would choose Woods (entirely b/c of durability)...but if it's Hogan v. Percy the choice is easy.

TLDR: Hogan is not better than Percy Harvin.

So you think we are a more dangerous team with hogan starting than Percy?

He played great when he was healthy - made a lot of catches and had some big blocks, too, if I recall. If he has an injury that prevents him from ever playing at a high level again, that's not his fault. The FO took a flyer on a guy with a lot of talent and potential injury problems. They gambled and maybe lost. Why all the hate? What is wrong with you people?

You mean the WR that despite injuries leads all WRs in receptions on the Bills and actually as a very friendly contract? Lol...this board is just one witch hunt after another, and as usual, very misguided.

Yes, it sucks he's hurt, but so is the rest of our offense. He was pretty useful on the field, and quite frankly, our entire offense is pretty useless without Harvin and Sammy on it.

Some issues with your post: One year, $6M isn't all that friendly of a contract - especially if Harvin misses a lot of games. A one year incentive laden deal with a smaller signing bonus and salary would have been a lot more team friendly. You were careful to say he lead all WRs on the team, which is true. He doesn't lead all receivers though as Clay is way ahead of him with 31 catches for 324 yards. Harvin only has 19 for 218. And Woods is only 7 yards behind him with 17 for 211.

So, no, Harvin isn't useless, but he has been way overpaid thus far.