What's the over/under on Rex getting fired after 2 years?

cale

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this is on Whaley....he added a explosive RB (neither spiller or Freddie are killing it ) plus his traded player is out again with an injury , kept all the D together and upgraded the WR.... he gave incognito a chance when no one else would and its working...we need more O line help but its not his fault he has done well drafting....and even trading... Rex has had a top D from day one with a pretty healthy squad and they dont fit what he wants or he is simply outplayed weekly (im going with outplayed/ coach )

If things continue the way they have, I think he's gone at the end of this season. I believe even a 10 win season without a post season appearance might leave him on shaky ground. But the way they look now, a 6-10 record might be the best they can hope for.

I've written elsewhere that I think the Pegulas are the sort of business people who, if they believe they've made a big mistake, will act to fix it. I don't think they will worry about "saving face." The NE game made me think Ryan isn't the right man for this team, and it's only gotten worse. I believe it is justifiable to fire him tonight but that would be both a PR mess and probably the beginning of a period of chaos, so I think they wait till January.

I have also written, to some derision, that if you cannot fire Rex during the season, for any number of reasons, the Pegulas could fire Thurman after quietly putting Schwartz under contract and just as quietly informing Ryan he's to have no further control over the D. I think the D would immediately improve immensely which just might give the Bills a few more wins than it looks like they're going to get under the current regime, which in turn would salvage some dignity.

Edited by yungmack

ugh...they're 3-3 and battling through key injuries: the 2 starting RBs, best WR, and then the starting QB.

Keep your head up, Bills. Don't listen to the loser fans and media!

Yeah. Denial is the best way to solve problems. Deny. Deny. Deny. It will all go away.

Doesn't Rex have 25 mil guaranteed? Hi isn't going anywhere for awhile.

pegula has cash but he's not an idiot

You must not follow the Sabres very closely.

Pegula has already shown, in a relatively short time period, many instances where he was willing to eat money and admit he made a mistake.

Hell, he re-signed Darcy Regier to a new multi-year K a few months before canning him.

He ate huge money getting rid of Ville Leino and Christian Ehrhoff.

He declared "Lindy ain't going anywhere" and then fired his ass not too long after...

If Pegula thinks hiring Rex was a mistake at year's end, he will be gone.

I think he will give him 2 years to make the playoffs, but not more.

That's just my guess.

Yeah. Denial is the best way to solve problems. Deny. Deny. Deny. It will all go away.

Denial is the first stage of the grieving process.

If things continue the way they have, I think he's gone at the end of this season. I believe even a 10 win season without a post season appearance might leave him on shaky ground. But the way they look now, a 6-10 record might be the best they can hope for.

I've written elsewhere that I think the Pegulas are the sort of business people who, if they believe they've made a big mistake, will act to fix it. I don't think they will worry about "saving face." The NE game made me think Ryan isn't the right man for this team, and it's only gotten worse. I believe it is justifiable to fire him tonight but that would be both a PR mess and probably the beginning of a period of chaos, so I think they wait till January.

I have also written, to some derision, that if you cannot fire Rex during the season, for any number of reasons, the Pegulas could fire Thurman after quietly putting Schwartz under contract and just as quietly informing Ryan he's to have no further control over the D. I think the D would immediately improve immensely which just might give the Bills a few more wins than it looks like they're going to get under the current regime, which in turn would salvage some dignity.

I wrote my comments above in Post # 70 before seeing yours.

I agree 100% that Pegula will act swiftly to correct a perceived mistake, and saving face or money will not enter into the decision at all. I also agree Rex could easily be let go at season's end if things go a certain way.

I do not think DCs will be quietly switched mid-season and Rex micro-managed in the way you outline. That's just not going to happen.

It would be interesting to know what is being said behind closed doors over there now with regard to the D scheme. I hope Rex is being ordered to implement last year's approach. I'm sure Rex understands that scheme well and can coach whatever scheme you ask of him.

Well don't forget Terry tried to bring in a "football czar" to help Whaley run the operation. The Bills seem to have a somewhat unique and dysfunctional reporting structure which gives Rex a direct line to the owner. Maybe it will be Whaley who gets the axe first. All kinda sad, these guys make things so much more complicated than they have to. You have 4 great passrushers - just let them rush the passer. Even an idiot like Jack Del Rio would figure that out. And similarly, you don't keep trading for RBs and WRs when you don't have a franchise QB on the roster...

They're all idiots who fancy themselves geniuses.

Our special teams have left us in bad field positions all 5 games.

it really is a big deal . ST has been brutal on both sides of the ball. kickers are fine. blocking running and covering? not so much.

The fact that he can't or won't stop his players from taunting, hitting late, and pulling on facemasks suggests that he is a weak and stupid coach. The fact that his defense gets shredded at home despite $250M in investments confirms that he is a fraud. I loved the hire, but apparently I was duped.

did you see pacman on Sammy when the play was away from them? CBS replayed it by accident. he did all of those things in one play

Brooks stood over his man and screamed in his face after tackling him. BROOKS DOES THIS NONSENSE EVERY GAME. Brooks may be mentally disabled.

he shoulda been benched

Yup. .500 record or less, bad contracts and cap hell. Pegula hired Rex, Whaley is old guard.

Whaley gets fired after this year.

He might not get fired but the owner may finally hire that football czar that Pegula has been thinking about since buying the team. I can only think that someone talked Pegula out of hiring that football czar, and that same person told the owner that "he" would know who to hire as head coach.

Terry Pegula was in talks with Bill Polian about taking a temporary job at the top of the org, and may yet again.

He will be coach of the Bills for three years at least. A decision on him will be made at that time, just like practically any other HC in the league. If the Bills make the playoffs two of those three years, he likely stays.

Firing Whaley and not Rex would make no sense, but a typical Buffalo Bills move. There is talent here and the coach isn't maximizing it yet you fire the GM?

Again it would be a typical Bills move.

There is still no proven franchise type QB, and that has been the biggest obstacle to winning more games to date. When the Bills get consistently good QB play, that's when they will end up better than 8-8, 9-7.

3 years without playoffs. Pegulas paid him for 5, and they are not quick to pull the trigger on coaches.

Bring back Scwartz, and draft a QB along with TT. EJ proved he can be a competent back up, but will never be a starter in this league. It was a bad pick, but move on.

Why do people keep saying EJ can be a competent backup? he effing lost and looked horrible. His arm sucks.

He will be coach of the Bills for three years at least. A decision on him will be made at that time, just like practically any other HC in the league. If the Bills make the playoffs two of those three years, he likely stays.

There is still no proven franchise type QB, and that has been the biggest obstacle to winning more games to date. When the Bills get consistently good QB play, that's when they will end up better than 8-8, 9-7.

Based on Pegula's history with the Sabres, I disagree.

This organization is still in a state of transition from old ownership to new. It took Pegula some time to get his feet under him with the Sabres and it will be the same with the Bills.

But Pegula has shown he tends to act quickly when he feels decisions must be made.

If this season goes a certain kind of wrong way and Pegula thinks Rex was a mistake, he will not hesitate to can him.

Was QB the biggest issue today? No, it's been the average defensive play with over the top talent.

The talent is there but the wins aren't, whose fault is that? The GM or the coach?

I'll venture a guess..... it's NOT the GM.

I think 3 years is possible, but 2 years more likely if things stay this ugly.

but then what's the point in keeping Rex? The selling point on him is that he is supposed to be some kind of defensive guru, take away him having control of the defence and your left with a head coach who can't keep his players under control and has never had a good offence Edited by apuszczalowski