Bucky: Trading Cassel doesn’t look good right now

Is Bucky right?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. What is real issue

• Whaley is arrogant
    • Whaley is insecure
    • Bucky is self delusional , insecure and arrogant writer who just wants clicks

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know whats up with Cassel, but there was probably more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye.

I wonder if they had kind of an agreement when he re-signed here that if there was an appealing spot for him and a trade was to be had then Whaley would do right by him?

I heard that being reported yesterday by someone in the media...don't remember where or by who...but i did hear/read that.

Teach the big legged punter how to kick the ball deep!

Lord knows...i have always had an issue with a kickoff guy. I think you could make the case that without the need for a kickoff guy, Matt would still be here.

But , and think about this, and maybe this is the genius of Rex/Doug( i know i am reaching now :lol: )

If Matt is still here...does it divide the room about who would be starting this week? Talk about distractions :thumbsup:

But, they didn't before trading for Cassell right? Tha'ts kinda my point.

Now, it is also the problem with having a a kickoff guy. 3rd QB or kickoff guy?

Other teams DO addres the 3rd qb position. GB always does, whether through the draft or in other ways. The jets drafted petty this year and have 3 counting him. Last year under rex, though, the jets went with 2 qbs on the roster and a udfa practice squadder who really can't play (Sims). Of course, Sims eventually had to play.

The Bills, otoh, have 2, and yesterday had to conduct a DEEP dumpster dive to unearth one of the worst semi-qbs in the league (Johnson) -- a guy who doesn't even know the offense. I just think it's shaky roster management. Cassel in my opinion is more valuable on the team than matthew mulligan (or Gay/Cundiff; take your pick).

Edited by dave mcbride

So now Manuel isn't even good enough to be a backup? What world is Bucky living in? He was barely beaten out for the starting nod, outplayed Cassel in every scrimmage/pre-season game but he's not capable of steering the ship for a few games?

The only valid point Bucky makes in the article is they traded Cassel away when they knew Taylor was injured but from what I saw in the first 5 games he didn't look too hampered to me. So even that point isn't very strong. Most teams don't carry 3 QBs on the active roster into the season. Not sure how you can rip the Bills for not doing it.

Other teams DO addres the 3rd qb position. GB always does, whether through the draft or in other ways. The jets drafted petty this year and have 3 counting him. Last year under rex, though, the jets went with 2 qbs on the roster and a udfa practice squadder who really can't play (Sims). Of course, Sims eventually had to play.

The Bills, otoh, have 2, and yesterday had to conduct a DEEP dumpster dive to unearth one of the worst semi-qbs in the league (Johnson) -- a guy who doesn't even know the offense. I just think it's shaky roster management. Cassel in my opinion is more valuable on the team than matthew mulligan (or Gay/Cundiff; take your pick).

i agree having a 3rd as long as the the 3rd being a young , development type guy...but not a 33 year old with little to no upside. Bills do have that dude on the PS.Although cant for the life of me recall his name LOL.

Bucky who was advocating Cassel as starter is taking a new tactic to try to prove himself right I would not mind him being right IF it got him a front office job, preferably taking Sullivan with him, on another team preferably on another hemisphere but like most of today's reporters he mixes up facts with his own opinions and forgets how many times he was wrong.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/13/trading-cassel-doesnt-look-good-right-now/

Notice neither of the choices are complimentary; both words have negative connotations and he like most of the Buffalo Bills staff are experts in arrogance.

Cassel would NOT be an asset for current team; the current QB needs to manufacture plays and that is not what type of QB Cassel is. I am not even sure he will even be an asset to Cowboys considering his skillset is very close to Weeden. Both the Cowboys and Bills are suffering from same issue - many key injuries and offenses which are not strong enough to overcome it without heroic efforts.

Bucky and Graham have a vendetta against Pegula owned teams. They aren't worshiped by the owners and felt snubbed because they didn't get a going away presser from the Sabres where they could spread their arrogance.

Teach the big legged punter how to kick the ball deep!

Just let him punt, pry go through the goal post.

If you're Whaley and much of your reputation rides on Manuel, it makes perfect sense to trade the one guy standing in his way. I recognize the homer crowd won't admit/understand the team is political behind the scenes, but Whaley's defining move was taking Manuel. And that player was buried on the draft chart when Taylor and Cassel were acquired, neither of whom seemed like Whaley decisions. I say this because Whaley was talking up Manuel during HC interviews in January and felt he just needed more coaching. Clearly the new HC (not hired by Whaley) and his staff disagreed.

It is a puzzling move with so little certainty at QB, particularly 2 weeks into the season, to trade your most experienced QB. That is, unless there are other motives at play. I just find it funny that so many moves this off-season seemed Rex drive like McCoy, Harvin, Felton, and Clay. Now, it seems Whaley is trying to show his authority when the game-day roster doesn't meet with his approval and which is the HC's domain.

Edited by BillsVet

If you're Whaley and much of your reputation rides on Manuel, it makes perfect sense to trade the one guy standing in his way. I recognize the homer crowd won't admit/understand the team is political behind the scenes, but Whaley's defining move was taking Manuel. And that player was buried on the draft chart when Taylor and Cassel were acquired, neither of whom seemed like Whaley decisions. I say this because Whaley was talking up Manuel during HC interviews in January and felt he just needed more coaching. Clearly the new HC (not hired by Whaley) and his staff disagreed.

It is a puzzling move with so little certainty at QB, particularly 2 weeks into the season, to trade your most experienced QB. That is, unless there are other motives at play. I just find it funny that so many moves this off-season seemed Rex drive like McCoy, Harvin, Felton, and Clay. Now, it seems Whaley is trying to show his authority when the game-day roster doesn't meet with his approval and which is the HC's domain.

Well, at least you're not condescending. :rolleyes:

You make assumptions and treat them as facts, so you're no better than 95% of those who post around here, whether "homer" or "hater."

Well, at least you're not condescending. :rolleyes:

You make assumptions and treat them as facts, so you're no better than 95% of those who post around here, whether "homer" or "hater."

HAHA...great post!

Yes, Matt is going to be the starter for the Cowboys come next Sunday...but lets not forget even the Cowboys thought Weeden was a better option than Cassell as backup and wanted no part of him...else they would have picked him up on waivers.

i agree having a 3rd as long as the the 3rd being a young , development type guy...but not a 33 year old with little to no upside. Bills do have that dude on the PS.Although cant for the life of me recall his name LOL.

I'm not so hung up on whether the QB is developmental or not -- I just want him to be able to play. The Bills simply don't have that player now. Both Brett Hundley and Bryce Petty have been in their respective team systems for nearly half a year now, and both have physical talent. Regardless of their youth, they'll have SOME capability to play decently enough if called upon. In contrast, the Bills' passport-checking moves yesterday called to mind nothing so much as a frantic response from the TSA to a Code Red alert. Josh Johnson just happened to be the random guy picked out from one of the baggage security lines yesterday.

Bear in mind that Rex had two QBs last year, and it didn't go so well. He had three this year -- until he didn't.

HAHA...great post!

Yes, Matt is going to be the starter for the Cowboys come next Sunday...but lets not forget even the Cowboys thought Weeden was a better option than Cassell as backup and wanted no part of him...else they would have picked him up on waivers.

Turns out they were wrong.

Edited by dave mcbride

HAHA...great post!

Weeden > Cassel > EJ. The Bills coaches agreed, which is why EJ was 3rd string behind Cassel.

Well, if nothing else perhaps we can all now agree that the Bills would have preferred to have signed Josh McCown rather than traded for Cassel. That always seemed obvious to me, but there was some debate about this in recent months. Some even suggested that the Bills performed some sort of Jedi mind trick to force Cleveland to overpay for McCown.

I have no idea how the Buffalo Media can't understand that just because you're the #2 QB over EJ on gameday doesn't mean you're the better QB.

If I'm Rex, and Tyrod goes down in the middle of the game, having a veteran QB, who has played a lot, prepares like a Veteran starter, and can take a team with minimal first-team reps and guide it to victory, makes a ton of sense.

Just because Cassel can do that, does not mean he's the right choice over EJ if Tyrod went down for 3-4 weeks. It's very logical to think that if a backup QB had to start long-term, Rex would go with EJ because he would have time to get him prepped in practice and the upside is much higher. Getting a whole week's worth of first team reps for a young QB like EJ is extremely important.

It's like this possibility doesn't even exist for Bucky, Sully, Wawrow, et. all and this whole "Cassel was #2" thing is definitive proof he's a better QB than EJ. Oy vey.

This is a good point.

And from my vantage point (watching games on TV in Seattle), EJ looked better than MC in preseason.

So - unless EJ and TT are hurt at the same time - trading away MC was no big deal.

I'm seriously surprised anyone would honestly want Cassell over EJ at this point, especially after EJ's solid preseason. I'm assuming Bucky and the other news outlets are just taking advantage of material to use for articles. That's all.