Is Bill Parcells Racist

Protocal69

Agree, agree and disagree.

I am not so fast to push aside the knowledge of Bill Parcells. The bottom line is that he has coached young men to win.

The game WAS way different back in the day. This is beyond dispute. I once heard a player named Deacon Jones (not sure how old you are) say that if a player scored a touchdown and danced, he would kill him. People on the panel laughed and he said that he was serious. Deacon Jones btw is black.

In any event, I am unwilling to label Parcells a racist for his comments (NOT saying that you did).

No I know you aren't. Nor am I either. It was lazy analysis of the sort many of the talking heads do when they lump players together it wasn't racism.

Parcells is a dinosaur regardless though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9523093/bill-parcells-guys-all-coach-enters-pro-football-hall-fame

I think first and foremost, he loves football warriors - colors be damned. And he can tell you from 100 miles away which kids have it in them and which ones do not. I think a guy like that cannot stand players that are acting as if they have accomplished something at the pro level because he has a lifetime spent building a very specific definition of such a thing.

Parcells was 4 when we dropped the bomb on Hiroshima. He grew up in the era of Japanese Internment.

Modern liberalism seeks to make the normal of prior eras wrong in revision. That's idiocy.

My dad fought in WWII and - as a product of his era - occasionally called Japanese "Japs" and Germans "Krauts."

I love my dad. I respect his service. But I still told him it was wrong to use that terminology and haven't heard it from his lips in many years. He grew. He evolved.

Parcells grew up in an era when blacks were thought to be good at other positions in football but not at QB. I hope he still doesn't hold onto some of those old stereotypes.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I think EJ is on the list because he was selling stock in himself, which is kind of odd for a mediocre QB.

He's on the list because it's clear the only thing Parcells knows about him is that he is a young 1st round QB pick in recent years who hasn't yet stepped up into a franchise role. This is pretty clear. Reading any more into it is giving Parcells too much credit.

My dad fought in WWII and - as a product of his era - occasionally called Japanese "Japs" and Germans "Krauts."

I love my dad. I respect his service. But I still told him it was wrong to use that terminology and haven't heard it from his lips in many years. He grew. He evolved.

Parcells grew up in an era when blacks were thought to be good at other positions in football but not at QB. I hope he still doesn't hold onto some of those old stereotypes.

That may be true, but who can say he didn't evolve?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/1999.htm(They were 6-3 when Lucas started for them)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2003.htm

Parcells is one of my favorite coaches so I am biased. He has coached so many young African American males and has never been accused of racism. This would have come out by now.

He is outside of Lombardi, possibly the best coach of all time in the NFL. He took two different Giants team to the SB, He turned the Patriots around from being a joke to the SB, then turns the Jets from 1-15 to the AFC Championship in one year.

With Dallas, he built a good team, and in spite of JJ. He never made the same impact in Miami as President, but what a career. Remember, Belicheck was under his guidance for years.

People don't like him as he has opinions. I don't see his comments about the color of the skin, moreso just QB's doing their job and learning to be great. EJ is a good person from what I can see, but he did in his rookie year sell stock on himself. That was silly. RG3 has been a nightmare, and was bad mouthing his original coaches in the Shanahans.

I have no respect for him and has nothing to do with the color of his skin. It's his decisions that taint my opinion of him. As far as race, what about Russel Wilson? He is fantastic. Cam Newton, I love the guy. Lastly, I'm very hopeful TT turns out to be our franchise QB, and fun to watch. I just hope he can learn to read defenses faster in time.

I've never understood peoples desire to backwards ascribe today's morality on people whose morals weren't formed today, and the general whitewashing of out history to protect the new narrative.

People should google the myriad US federal government created War drive/bond/propaganda posters during WWII....

My favorite is "ALASKA - DEATH TRAP FOR THE JAP" with the "Jap" depicted as a rat with large claws and teeth wearing a cap with the Japanese rising sun flag on it heading for a mouse trap.

The passage of time does indeed alter perspectives.

The same poster probably wouldn't be created by, promoted by, or associated in any way with the US federal government these days, would it?

:w00t: