Sean Payton Staying with the Saints

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last year everyone wanted defensive minded coaches. this year everyone is going to want offensive minded coaches. Greg Roman has to be near the top of that list and he will get some interviews but I'm hoping he comes back for 1 more year

OK, I know we won the game and the final score doesn't show us blown out in any game yet....but we've had a very cold start in 3 of our 5 games. How to put it nicely? Taylor may develop into a good NFL QB, Taylor may not develop into a good NFL QB, but for a guy who had the cashbox opened up for him to sign talent this off season and whose reputation is creative running schemes that work well with a "meh" QB, Roman's offense needs to work better than 1 1st down on our 4th offensive series, after 3 3-and-outs, before we need to worry about his off-season interviews.

At one point in the game we had 50% more yards lost to penalties than we had on offense. That's not exactly an effective NFL HC sales pitch.

Edited by Hopeful

Payton with Luck is scarier to me than him landing in Miami.

same here.

Maybe I'm poisoned due to the Tannehill vs Buffalo sample space... but Tannehill to me isn't going to take off and get to the next level. Without that defense performing at a top-5 level... that team is a sitting duck on everyone's schedule. Not all that different than the Bills... but IMO T Mobile is still a bit of an unknown which gives him a higher ceiling, and we also have a lot of offensive weapons over Miami.

If Miami gives up 2 first round picks for him that would be awesome!

Payton without Brees does not particularly scare me.

I remember all the way back when he was the Giants OC and Fassel pulled his playcalling duties and that turned around the Giants season and they went to the SB that year.

Vince Lombardi II he is not.

A correction: this isn't right. Payton was the OC in 2000, the year they went to the SB. Fassel took his playcalling duties away in 2002, when they were 3-4 and struggling. The went to the playoffs that year and lost a crazy playoff game to SF (missed kick that almost led a score by an offensive lineman at the end of the game, which was 39-38). The year they went to the SB, they had a pretty good offense with Kerry Collins and 518 yards in the NFC championship game. They were destroyed by Baltimore's D, but the Baltimore D destroyed everyone that year.

He's worked with a lot of good people and is very well respected. He was QBs coach under Gruden in 1997 for Philly, and he did pretty good work in Dallas in his three seasons there. The Dallas D with Bledsoe in 2005 was 13th, which was a lot better than it was in Buffalo. He was the assistant head coach/passing game coordinator that season.

Edited by dave mcbride

@RapSheet

Name to consider for #USCs coaching search: #Saints coach Sean Payton. Trojans are interested & Paytons daughter is at school 30 mins away

@RapSheet

One bonus for Sean Payton: With all the talk of a potential coach trade there would be no compensation for #USC. He could just go.

But as the saints have to agree that doesn't seem to make it more likely

I could be wrong but this seems as logical as the Mike Tonkin to usc rumors

Edited by NoSaint

How is CJ Spiller doing thru 5 games?

I'll hang up and listen

Whether you agree that the Bills should have drafted Spiller is not the issue. The Bills drafted a player in the first round with a particular set of skills.They then proceeded to utilize him so that his particular brand of skills are not emphasized and his limitations are accentuated. How smart was that? There are a number of reasons why the Bills have been out of the.playoffs for nearly a generation. How they handled Spiller is the embodiment of their collective stupidity! It's like using Tom Brady in a wishbone offense!

As FireChan stated in post#23 Spiller will be more intelligently used and be a more productive player in New Orleans. It's not surprising that winning organizations function more smartly than losing organizations.

Tannehill throwing it 55 times a game ??..Saints are 27-27 the last 3 years + this one in a pathetic division the whole time. Same time period Buffalo is 24-29 but some still look at N.O. as a top winning organization facts say something else. He's another offensive coordinator who's bored with running the ball, Spiller 12 carries so far and some complained about his touches here. I'm not a Sean Payton believer or fan yes 6 years ago they won a super bowl. Brees in 15 years 6 playoff appearances. Payton personal life less than stellar

Edited by CardinalScotts

Tannehill throwing it 55 times a game ??..Saints are 27-27 the last 3 years + this one in a pathetic division the whole time. Same time period Buffalo is 24-29 but some still look at N.O. as a top winning organization facts say something else. He's another offensive coordinator who's bored with running the ball, Spiller 12 carries so far and some complained about his touches here. I'm not a Sean Payton believer or fan yes 6 years ago they won a super bowl. Brees in 15 years 6 playoff appearances. Payton personal life less than stellar

Robinson and Ingram are their workhorse backs, spiller isn't a guy that got to give heavy carries. He's a guy that, in their ideal, gets 60-80 catches and a handful of carries to keep defenses honest when in the game. Look at how they used sproles and bush

last year everyone wanted defensive minded coaches. this year everyone is going to want offensive minded coaches. Greg Roman has to be near the top of that list and he will get some interviews but I'm hoping he comes back for 1 more year

Teams want creative offensive minds and that's not Roman. His offense is predictable and stuck in the 80's so he was a perfect fit for Rex.