Sean Payton Staying with the Saints

I wonder if a trade of head coaches has ever happened?

Saints trade Peyton to Philly for Chip, for example. Won't happen obviously in that case but I wonder if something like that is even possible, as a way to switch head men and keep both owners from being on the hook for a contract if they fire their guy.

Wasn't Gruden traded from Oakland to Tampa? Herm Edwards from Jets to KC?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they actually trade two picks or were the Colts awarded the pick afterwards as a result of "tampering" I thought he went to Miami pre AFL-NFL merger and things were running pretty loose with regards to contracts. Things were starting to settle down with respect to contracts, but Miami signed him without an agreement, eventually the NFL ruled and awarded the picks?? Not certain, but thought it was not an agreed upon trade, but it's been a few years.

Nope. The Dolphins gave up two #1 picks IIRC.

Did they actually trade two picks or were the Colts awarded the pick afterwards as a result of "tampering" I thought he went to Miami pre AFL-NFL merger and things were running pretty loose with regards to contracts. Things were starting to settle down with respect to contracts, but Miami signed him without an agreement, eventually the NFL ruled and awarded the picks?? Not certain, but thought it was not an agreed upon trade, but it's been a few years.

You're correct! http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/A-Red-Letter-Day-For-The-Dolphins/e47f0865-c7d0-4a5f-9a20-b12711a16dd5

Payton is good offensive coach but overall his team defense is poor. He has to have a strong DC in order to win. A trade for him would make sense if you have parts to a good offense in place and a top 15 defense.

1970 was actually post merger. So it wasn't the result of Miami operating in the Wild Wild West AFL-NFL wars, they just took one out of the Patriots playbook and thought no one would notice!

• 3 weeks later...

Aaaaand talk this morning that if SP leaves marrone may be the favorite to come back and coach the saints

Should Sean Payton stay in New Orleans, the Saints are expected to make changes to the team's personnel structure. If he leaves, Doug Marrone would be an early favorite to take over.