A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

@Bill from NYC, I was expecting you to call in sick on this one! It is amazing that you followed through with our commitment. Many losses were easier to watch than this win. 1 Qtr of exciting football! Thanks for the thoughts just the same.

No, thank you and everybody else who takes time to listen to my opinions.

Remember, this post is not titled "all knowing proclamations."

I take the opportunity to post my opinions about what goes down and try to promote dialogue with others like me who probably care too much about our beloved football team.

Again, thank you.

PS: I have the lyrics down for a win next week!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha I say this with an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality but has anyone seen a better looking 78 year old man than Dick Lebeau?

Don''t be defensive over your man crush. What is remarkable about Dick Lebeau is not only that he looks fantastic but he can still handle such a physically and mentally exhausting job.

His world is more than football. He is a renaisance man who wherever he goes he is beloved and respected.Simply a cool dude!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/5/dick-lebeau-too-busy-with-titans-defense-for-sight/?page=all

I take the opportunity to post my opinions about what goes down and try to promote dialogue with others like me who probably care too much about our beloved football team.

Again, thank you.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are people who stifle dialogue and there are people who promote dialogue. You fall in the latter category.

If you continue to encourage TT to run I will blame you for his physical demise! Being cautious is better than being reckless. We can't afford the loss.

Again, thank you.

Thank you Bill from NYC. Your thoughts are a welcome diversion, in the most delightful way.

always look forward to the ensuing conversations that arrive in the threads you weave.

respect

and of course i agree!

Go Bills!!

There are a lot of things he can't do particularly well -- short throws with receivers on the move, for one. But he can do other things well -- the sorts of things that, say, Trent Edwards or EJ haven't done well at (accuracy on deep throws; ability to keep plays alive; crazy running ability). He's not perfect, and I don't expect him to radically improve over the course of the season. But he IS good at some of the key aspects of the game, and he clearly has a good attitude. He doesn't strike me as the sort to suffer a crisis of confidence or to play in a cowardly fashion. He's a baller.

I think his issues with the short throws are mechanics.

Not the uncorrectable Fitzy type mechanics that are a result of a lack of talent.

He seems to get nonchalant on the short throws and he needs to execute these throws decisively and with proper footwork.

There is an element of MAYBE just a bit too casual....trying to make it look easy....that he probably should be aware of and eliminate.

Brady and Peyton are robotic out there but his optimal comparison..Russell Wilson...looks like a complete spaz on the field...not smooth.....but his focus and attention to detail have served him well.

TT's natural accuracy is obvious on the deep and intermediate throws. One of his misses yesterday was a well placed out to Robert Woods but Woods fell down and that lead to a punt.

And how about his hands on that duck that Hogan threw him? Couldn't believe he caught that. Hogan returned the favor next play.

I think his issues with the short throws are mechanics.

Not the uncorrectable Fitzy type mechanics that are a result of a lack of talent.

He seems to get nonchalant on the short throws and he needs to execute these throws decisively and with proper footwork.

There is an element of MAYBE just a bit too casual....trying to make it look easy....that he probably should be aware of and eliminate.

Brady and Peyton are robotic out there but his optimal comparison..Russell Wilson...looks like a complete spaz on the field...not smooth.....but his focus and attention to detail have served him well.

TT's natural accuracy is obvious on the deep and intermediate throws. One of his misses yesterday was a well placed out to Robert Woods but Woods fell down and that lead to a punt.

And how about his hands on that duck that Hogan threw him? Couldn't believe he caught that. Hogan returned the favor next play.

Yeah, that catch on the Hogan throw was sensational. It was important because it got them to the 2, and as they showed against the Giants, they struggle getting it in from the 4.

Don''t be defensive over your man crush. What is remarkable about Dick Lebeau is not only that he looks fantastic but he can still handle such a physically and mentally exhausting job.

His world is more than football. He is a renaisance man who wherever he goes he is beloved and respected.Simply a cool dude!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/5/dick-lebeau-too-busy-with-titans-defense-for-sight/?page=all

He should be first person inducted into Hall of Fame as player AND coach simultaneously.

Crossman has to be on the hotseat. Schmidt is punting his way to the pro bowl, which is likely the only reason Crossman still has a job.

Still can't understand why we're hiring guys off the street to field punts (almost cost us the game yesterday with the fumble) when Percy Harvin is on the team.

I understand he's not normally a punt return guy, but how can he not at least be competing for the job these days?

Possibly because we don't want to lose another starting receiver to the injury list.

I was actually talking about Boobie......he is the extreme definition of a straight ahead runner.

If any change of direction is required he goes into slow motion.

There was one run in the 4th, off RT. Nothing there but he could have cut back to the middle wbere a wide hole had opened up. Instead he kept following the right tackle into no Gainesville

If you continue to encourage TT to run I will blame you for his physical demise! Being cautious is better than being reckless. We can't afford the loss.

Blame away, but if he didn't make that 3rd and 23 on the ground this game would have been a loss, one that we really could not have afforded.

Blame away, but if he didn't make that 3rd and 23 on the ground this game would have been a loss, one that we really could not have afforded.

Well, if we want to save wear-and-tear on our QB, we could try persuading him to hit open short targets across midfield or take off for short yards and slide, instead of running sideline to sideline and getting slammed to the ground 4-8 times a game by several double-door-refrigerator size behemoths who then fall on him.

Edited by Hopeful

On the third and long, whether by design or not, the field was wide open for him. I'm not against him running. But I want him to be more cautious when he takes off. He can go down sooner or run out of bounds more. He's playing on a bad ankle and it is apparent that after some jaw jarring hits he struggles to get up. I would rather see him go down early and not get the first down than take the hit that gets him battered and bruised.

Russell Wilson is as good as any mobile qb who is good at avoiding the clean hits. That doesn't mean that he is able to avoid every hard tackle but he is more prudent in deciding when to run and when to hit the deck or run out of bounds. Doug Flutie moved around a lot and ran a lot but he rarely took direct hits. They should be models for him in how to more safely run.

TT is more lean than thick. He is a tough player but he is not built to sustain a lot hits. I would rather error on the side of caution. .

Well, if we want to save wear-and-tear on our QB, we could try persuading him to hit open short targets across midfield or take off for short yards and slide, instead of running sideline to sideline and getting slammed to the ground 4-8 times a game by several double-door-refrigerator size behemoths who then fall on him.

^^^^^^That's what I'm talking about!

Edited by JohnC

The problem is that what he did in this game is not sustainable. As much as people don't want to confine him to the pocket that's where he's got to operate with consistency if he ever hopes to be the franchise QB. The NFL is littered with guys who had running ability but couldn't do it consistently year after year because Ds caught on.

I hope Roman keeps doing what he's doing and makes him operate primarily out of the pocket with a few runs here and there. This idea that the O would be better if they "unleashed" TT is the same logic that said if they fed Spiller the ball 300 times he'd still average over 5 yards a carry. Diminishing returns on the scrambles and a stunted passer long term who was never forced to learn the NFL game.

The problem is that what he did in this game is not sustainable. As much as people don't want to confine him to the pocket that's where he's got to operate with consistency if he ever hopes to be the franchise QB. The NFL is littered with guys who had running ability but couldn't do it consistently year after year because Ds caught on.

I hope Roman keeps doing what he's doing and makes him operate primarily out of the pocket with a few runs here and there. This idea that the O would be better if they "unleashed" TT is the same logic that said if they fed Spiller the ball 300 times he'd still average over 5 yards a carry. Diminishing returns on the scrambles and a stunted passer long term who was never forced to learn the NFL game.

I don't think too many of us are worried about sustained success year after year right now; I want Tyrod to play well enough this year to get to the playoffs.

I don't think too many of us are worried about sustained success year after year right now; I want Tyrod to play well enough this year to get to the playoffs.

Agreed. If TT can hold the fort for a couple of years he has done his job in Buffalo for me. If he plays better than that long term then great, but I am less worried about developing TT as a pocket passer now than I am about taking advantage of the talent we have on this team and making the post-season. He will need to play better from the pocket to do so - but he will need to run a bunch too.

I guess that's where I differ. I'm looking for long term success and I'm willing to sacrifice a game or two this year to get it. It's why I hated the Orton move last year. This, "let's try to squeek out a win or two more this year at the expense of the future" attitude just doesn't appeal to me. I want a 6-7 year window at a Super Bowl win, not a squeak into the playoffs and be one and done year.

I guess that's where I differ. I'm looking for long term success and I'm willing to sacrifice a game or two this year to get it. It's why I hated the Orton move last year. This, "let's try to squeek out a win or two more this year at the expense of the future" attitude just doesn't appeal to me. I want a 6-7 year window at a Super Bowl win, not a squeak into the playoffs and be one and done year.

I hear what you're saying; where we differ is that I don't think the two approaches are mutually exclusive. I want Tyrod to play well enough to win this year, and I want to see him develop over the long term. I also want the team to do it's best to develop EJ, and also bring in another young passer to develop behind these 2.

To me, given the current college QB climate, the above is the best approach to trying to deliver long-term success at the position, at least for this team, right now.

I think we have a window to an extent though and I think that is now. If this was EJ's first year when I never thought we were even nearly a playoff team then I would be willing to sacrifice games. It has been 15 years and this is the best overall talent we have had in that time. I am not willing to sacrifice games this year.